Author Topic: "Toudai-Oni" for OAUA has arrived  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: "Toudai-Oni" for OAUA has arrived
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 07:52:21 AM »
Yeah, it was great!

Although I must say that "Kill the Heroes..." is still my favorite of your mods, because, while also very linear, it lets the player actually do some things, and also provides the possibility of failure.

But I didn't judge "Toudai-Oni"  so much as a game, I rather think of it as an illustrated story, and as such it is simply brilliant!  :)

That said, I think the review section of this forum could use some more activity. But I aim to liven it up a bit when I'm finished with my game. The list of mods that I want to play is already pretty long, including the rest of the hans back catalogue.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:59:09 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
Yeah, the original conception of mini-mods was to produce something quick to write and quick to play.  Simply a bit of amusement for the UA engine in-between releases of larger and epic mods.  IIRC, Glen Sprigg created the first (and still one of the best) mini-mods, "A Rich Man's Folly" (Paddi.zip), under the constraints of "one dungeon, one combat."  Although the definition of what constitutes a mini-mod has expanded through usage, the general idea is still to produce something that requires only a small investment of time, both on the writer and the player. 

My mini-mods take me months, on the otherhand, because of all the new art and hacks that I always feel compelled to whip up.   :P  The stories themselves are very quick writes, tho. 

Because of story compression or a pairing down to essentials, most mini-mods offer little interaction.  But then, that's just the nature of the little beasts.  They present what in a larger mod would be but a brief encounter, or expand on a what might be given as only an anecdote.

I would encourage everybody to consider writing a mini-mod.  All you need is an interesting little story or encounter, and just a little time...

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
I wasn't aware of the "guidelines" for mini-mods, but I'm impressed that you could fit all of "Toudai-Oni" into one dungeon.
Feels much longer and more epic than just "one dungeon, one combat".

Thinking about it, I have an idea for a mini-mod that would involve those great "shoreline" walls and backdrop from "Toudai-Oni".

But could these hacks also work in UA, or are they only usable in OAUA? I'm asking because the readme of OAUA said that the color palettes were altered.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
I wasn't aware of the "guidelines" for mini-mods, but I'm impressed that you could fit all of "Toudai-Oni" into one dungeon.
Feels much longer and more epic than just "one dungeon, one combat".

Thinking about it, I have an idea for a mini-mod that would involve those great "shoreline" walls and backdrop from "Toudai-Oni".

But could these hacks also work in UA, or are they only usable in OAUA? I'm asking because the readme of OAUA said that the color palettes were altered.

Walls and Backdrops should be transferable between UA and OAUA with no problems.  The sandy combat Wilderness, on the other hand, would have to be adjusted for UA because OAUA uses a different combat icons palette from regular UA. 

As far as guidelines for mini-mods, these are completely elastic and in no way should constrain an author.  Their only real purpose was to let folks know that it's okay to think small, sometimes.   ;)

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »
Well, seems like I was a little confused too (and still am). Sorry about that.  :-[
I just remember Darius saying that you didn't need a ckit hack program anymore in order to import new music because it would suffice just to copy the music into your design folder and rename it. But apparently you still need UAShell to acknowledge there is new music.

Thank God, Darius' instructions in the OAUA documentation are quite clear on the matter:

:)
|sf>I think what that means is you don't need UAShell to play expanded tunes.  I use an older version of UAShell that was made before the discovery of expanded tunes and all I have to do for that version is copy the extended tunes to the correct FRUA folder. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »
I still appreciate these "illustrated stories" a lot. "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" was a great game and probably none of the mini mods wil ever get that much attention and praise from the community. But I wouldn't say it offered me more enjoyment than hans' other creations. It was different, and it was awesome but so are Toudai-Oni, An oriental Alphabet Primer, Unspoken Dream, Marshall Mars, Superdead, Major Mystery, Kitsune, Fire and Water in my book. I love them all, regardless of the extent of possible interaction in them. I even had a lot of fun playing "X-Anime" by that copycat Rocco Taku, my second favorite designer.  ;D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
I still appreciate these "illustrated stories" a lot. "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" was a great game and probably none of the mini mods wil ever get that much attention and praise from the community. But I wouldn't say it offered me more enjoyment than hans' other creations.

Another reason that "Kill the Heroes..." is my favorite is probably that it harkens back to the old GoldBox games, and I can relate to that more than to OAUA, which is pretty new to me.
But both "Fire and Water" and "Toudai-Oni" have piqued my interest in OAUA, and they are definetly great mods.

I guess it comes down to individual taste, what kind of gameplay one prefers. Linear, non-linear, combination of both, mini-mod, epic mod, etc.

This would probably make a good topic for a poll... ;)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:01:13 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
True, I didn't think about that Goldbox appeal because I've never played any of the original Goldbox games and I'm not really a Forgotten Realms fan either. In fact, while I can imagine how much fun that must have been for Goldbox veterans, one thing I like about hans' other mods is their unique and original setting. Of course they're based on general settings like Asian tales and Superhero comics, but they're neither Kara-Tur and Rokugan nor Superman and Batman.

To me it's not so much a question of prefered gameplay but of quality. I can enjoy linear, non-linear, combination of both, mini-mod, epic mod, and all in between if it's done right, and hans always seems to achieve this goal, with great story-telling and stunning graphics. :)

anything