Author Topic: Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release  (Read 8238 times)

Offline hans

Re: Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »
Anything else while we're at it?   ::)

Nothing I've noticed.  I'm looking forward to experimenting with it more, tho!
 :D

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
Well, I've been working on an OA mini-mod, and I gave a monster the spell "Creeping Darkness."  When the monster cast it, however, I got booted out of the game...   :(

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 12:59:35 AM »
Well, I've been working on an OA mini-mod, and I gave a monster the spell "Creeping Darkness."  When the monster cast it, however, I got booted out of the game...   :(

Gee, sounds like a really powerful spell!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »
Here's another one, I'm afraid...   :(

I just had an enemy monster cast Uncanny Dodge on himself, and even tho he had a lot of hit points, it was instant hari-kiri for the poor guy.  It happened quick, but I believe it said he did "max damage" on himself.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:01:58 PM by hans »

Offline Darius

• Darius' Unlimited Adventures Domain
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »

Hi hans,
Thanks for letting me know; it's obvious I didn't do a very good job of testing the spells being cast by enemies.  I would say for Uncanny Dodge though, that is supposed to be a ki power versus a true spell and may be the cause of the problem.  It would probably be better if that enemy had the special ability associated with Uncanny Dodge enabled for the combat rather than the ki "spell" available to cast, which just wastes a turn and slows down the action.

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:22 PM »
I figured maybe the monster wasn't limber enough to manage an Uncanny Dodge and so seriously injured himself by trying one. 

That's happened to me before when I didn't do any warm up exercises. 

Kinda Uncanny Dislocate an important part of my own anatomy is what it turns out to be. 

The babes are never too impressed by that style of martial arts.

Offline Darius

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »

Too funny, hans!  ;D

Offline hans

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
I did some playtesting this evening with a Wu Jen PC.  Creeping Darkness causes a crash for me when the PCs cast it, just like the monsters.   :-\ 

Blow Away seems like a pretty powerful spell.  The monster I cast it on disappeared from the screen.  The AI still recognized the creature as existing and gave him his usual turns, but he could do nothing against my Wu Jen.  He never came back.  Eventually, after defeating all the other enemies, the AI just declared my Wu Jen the winner.  Pretty sweet since that monster was the baddest I was facing in that battle.  Is that how the spell was designed to operate, tho...?   ::)

Note that he was a big monster and the battlefield was full of obstacles...

Offline Darius

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 06:27:29 AM »

Hi hans!
Sorry for my delayed response.  Blow Away is supposed to pick up the targeted creature and randomly place them somewhere else on the map.  Since this was a big monster and the battlefield was full of obstacles, I'm suspecting that it couldn't find a suitable location for placement or placed it on top of an obstacle so it couldn't move and didn't display properly. 

If Brian were still speaking to me, I might ask if the spell could be limited to only work on 1x1 creatures...

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »
If Brian were still speaking to me...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. 

We creative types are, by nature, a rather high-strung lot. 

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
If Brian were still speaking to me...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. 

We creative types are, by nature, a rather high-strung lot.

Huh, did you two fall out with each other, Darius? I thought he was just missing without a trace? Maybe some real life priorities?

Offline Darius

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 05:57:09 AM »

Yes, I'm afraid Real Life priorities have pretty much done both of us in.  I do have a few days off later this month though, so hopefully then I can finish up my latest design and take a look at some of the current OA bugs.  I have several Diff.TBL files saved in various stages of the 1.3 version, so I'm hoping to find where some of these things broke and just roll back to that version.  We might lose a few of the more recent features though.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
All the Quest Stages seem to be broken. If a quest stage is set to impossible it will automatically go off if that quest isn't 0. Automatic quest stages will go off if it is lower than or equal to the current stage and no other quest stage goes off. For instance if I am at 10-5 and a 10-1 is there the 10-1 will go off even though testing shows I have a 5 in quest 10. I can set automatics to one time only, but that won't work for yes/no quests. I've had 10-1 go off over and over when at 10-1 already.  ??? :o

Offline Darius

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 02:37:45 PM »
That was actually intentional although the behavior is definitely different than standard UA.  Here's the description in the latest version of the docs:

A word about Quest Stages: OAUA handles these slightly differently than standard UA, in a way that is easier and less prone to game-breaking Quest Stage bugs for newer designers.  In FRUA, the Quest Stage event will only fire if the Quest Stage is equal to a specified number; in OAUA, the Quest Stage event will fire if the Quest Stage is equal to or greater than the specified number.  What they have in common is that the Quest Stage event will not fire if the Quest Stage is less than the specified number.  The OAUA method opens up some new possibilities for designers, such as the ability to track whether a certain event has happened at any point in the game, or to easily create non-linear Quests, or even to calculate whether the player is less than, equal to or greater than a certain Quest Stage.  The potential drawback with this is if you set your Quest Stage events to happen more than Only Once, there is the potential for the player to continue to advance the Quest Stages by repeatedly triggering the same event.  I recommend that designers who regularly use Quest Stage events be aware of this difference when planning your design, and playtest to make sure it works as intended.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
Bummer. My design didn't use combat so I didn't feel a need to read the text file with OAUA. Glad I'm not imagining it. But I am a NWN1 modder so I tend to put in quest stages for every part of a quest for every character in that quest. Probably why this is the first time the automatic quest stages had a problem instead of the impossibles. I'll plan around it in future.  :-[

anything