Author Topic: Most Memorable use of Music in a Mod  (Read 1570 times)

Offline hans

Most Memorable use of Music in a Mod
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
I have two that really stand out: 

John Carpenter's eerie theme for his movie Halloween proved just as scary in a mod, as used by Dan (Cuomo) Crawford in his "Harvest of Sorrows." 

D.R.A.K.E. used the theme to The Prisoner tv series in the finale of his offbeat SHUA mod "Superman Robot Number 6."  Referencing that reality-questioning series musically (Patrick McGoohan's character was known only as No.6), D.R.A.K.E. had me re-examining what I thought had taken place in his mod and the possible ramifications. 

Understanding the pop culture references in either mod wasn't necessary to enjoy them, but both infusions were marvelously and effectively orchestrated.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Re: Most Memorable use of Music in a Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:48:42 PM »
Here's a couple that stand out:

John Rudy (known as PCC John R back then) used a hip hop song to create a great atmosphere in the intro for The Crawling Chaos.  I want to say Gangsta's Paradise, but I don't recall for sure.

And the module Amway Attacks, by Brad Foster, played the Village People's "YMCA" to the author's own lyrics, in a song sung by Popeye(!).  It was a memorable scene that led into the climactic battle.

Oh, and one of Ray Dyer's Realm mods opened up with "Song 2" from Blur.  That choice stuck in my mind for some reason.

That's all I can think of right now.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
John Rudy (known as PCC John R back then) used a hip hop song to create a great atmosphere in the intro for The Crawling Chaos.  I want to say Gangsta's Paradise, but I don't recall for sure.

I think it was "Keep Their Heads Ringin'" by Dr. Dre.  :)

Oh, and one of Ray Dyer's Realm mods opened up with "Song 2" from Blur.  That choice stuck in my mind for some reason.

Probably because that song is bound to stick in your mind, no matter where it's used.  :D

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
And the module Amway Attacks, by Brad Foster, played the Village People's "YMCA" to the author's own lyrics, in a song sung by Popeye(!).  It was a memorable scene that led into the climactic battle.

Ah, yes, I remember that one, too.  I was able to read the new text lyrics right in time with the music.  That was both a bold and masterful use of music, indeed!   :D