Author Topic: Question about money in DC  (Read 85 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Question about money in DC
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
Does anyone recall a conversation, where I think it was SilentThief, said that we could have two parallel mone systems in dc, by which i mean the money in one system could not be converted into the coins of the other. I believe that I have repeated this, but I have never tested it, but now I want to. 8)
The ideas was something like slots 1 hrough 5 could be used for one system and 6 through 10 for the other. there is nothing in the documentation about this, nor does looking at the currency editor indicate it can be done. I am sure that Richard and Paul did not intend for this, but maybe they prepared for it. ;)

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, can you point me to the thread?

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Question about money in DC
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »
I was toying with ideas for something like this -- more than once. I never really got into it very far.

I had an idea for using "Food" and "Water" as purchasable commodities that you could then have listed in your player first page (as in, not the inventory) and it would take currency slots. The issues with this -- including spending "food" to keep status of not hungry -- made it difficult to work with. While I wanted to be able to walk into a trading post and buy food with money, I did not necessarily want the opposite to come true. I certainly didn't want someone selling a sword and receiving change in the form of food, or changing water to food and back -- as these possibilities would be ridiculous.

I also had a separate idea (which was from the notes about currency in the 2e DMG) about using many different forms of currency which would require setting some kind of conversion which would in general lower the amount of currency -- and rename it so that it was using perhaps the same exact "slot" for the coins, but with a different name; to simulate a different country and currency. Then this would result in having to change out the currency (set a quest stage or something) before allowing someone to buy/sell/make payments or such -- when entering a new country.

ST
ps, while I know I talked about these to you before, I don't recall how long ago it was. I have not done anything with this in a long time, and I don't know if we are able to rename the coin "slots" or title or what not. Pretty much shelved the idea and never came back to it. Let me know if you have any questions, cannot guarantee that I have any solutions but will try to help

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
You control what is displayed on the character "VIEW" page.
You could certainly display "FOOD: 30; WATER:10", keeping
those values in Special Abilities.  Transactions that modify
these values such as visiting the Deli could be handled with
interactive GPDL text events and step events or daily hooks or .....

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
Thanks for responding, both of you. :)

Paul beat me to the answer for the FOOD and WATER. That is exactly the way I have handled it. :D I do want to point out that saying it is "ridiculous" to change food to water and vice versa in the context of a fantasy game such as this might be called ridiculous itself. ;)

As for the second idea - I have thought about this as well, and I think we can do that right now. Let me give an example:
   let's say you want to use dollars, euros and pounds as your three base moneys.
   you would work in the CURRENCY editor in the General Settings
      rename slot 1 dollars
      rename slot 2 euros
      rename slot 3 pounds
      set value for dollars to 15
      set alue for euros to 11
      set value for pounds to 10
   (if you did nothing else, you could use any money anywhere)
   before each Shop or Who Pays events, you want to check if the party has th eright money
   -->see http://www.dianneandpaul.net/UAF/Help/GPDLMoneyVariables.html
   you can check which money the party has, and if not the correct one, they can't buy anything
   to keep it straight, you would want to put an event to change any non-correct monies to the correct monies
   also, you might want to have some moneylenders/changers that will exchange currency for a (small) fee

However, what I want to do is to do something like a bit of both of these - I want a shop that uses some kind of Special Ability tracked currency, like I don't know...hero points or something. ;)

ST, I think we had this conversation many moons ago on another forum. I just couldn't recall if there had been any conclusions, or just navel-gazing on our parts. ;)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
Paul beat me to the answer for the FOOD and WATER. That is exactly the way I have handled it. :D I do want to point out that saying it is "ridiculous" to change food to water and vice versa in the context of a fantasy game such as this might be called ridiculous itself. ;)

The reason I specifically mentioned this, and why this may interfere with this as well:

you would work in the CURRENCY editor in the General Settings
      rename slot 1 dollars
      rename slot 2 euros
      rename slot 3 pounds
      set value for dollars to 15
      set alue for euros to 11
      set value for pounds to 10
   (if you did nothing else, you could use any money anywhere)
   before each Shop or Who Pays events, you want to check if the party has th eright money
   -->see http://www.dianneandpaul.net/UAF/Help/GPDLMoneyVariables.html
   you can check which money the party has, and if not the correct one, they can't buy anything
   to keep it straight, you would want to put an event to change any non-correct monies to the correct monies
   also, you might want to have some moneylenders/changers that will exchange currency for a (small) fee

is that when you buy something you pay in the set currency it works fine, but when you sell items, then you may not get full price (buyback at 1/2 or something -- set in the shop event), so if I remember correctly it will convert to a lower currency -- which is how you could "sell" food and get water back in change, for example.

Something to keep in mind when trying this

ST the changing