Author Topic: REVIEW: Game48: Wild Dragon's Den (by Ray Dyer)  (Read 44 times)

Offline hans

REVIEW: Game48: Wild Dragon's Den (by Ray Dyer)
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
"Whubba-Whubba-Whubba!" *

Another of Ray Dyer's ten! entries into the One-Week Challenge (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3429.0), and continuing the "Thunder Rift" campaign, Game48: Wild Dragon's Den is a swampload of fun!

While the action again takes place in a cave, this location is much better realized and exciting than the Goblin cave of the campaign's Game44: Red Hand Trail.  The main occupants in this (swamp) cave are Lizard Men, and they leave a much richer cultural stamp on their surroundings.  In fact, learning about their society is one of the goals assigned to the Players, which will bring them some financial reward in the end. 

The main goal, however, is to rid the countryside of the titular Dragon!  Dragons are always a welcome opponent in UA.  Well, we're not playing "an official Advanced Dungeons & Kobolds" product, are we...?  Dragons never fail to put a smile on our faces.   ;D

There are several other monster types to encounter, as well.  And with no places to rest (so far as I could discover), all of the combats must be taken quite seriously, because, with a Black Dragon lurking somewhere about, the PCs do not want to be caught with their proverbial pants down. 

The location descriptions are evocative and nicely detailed, skillfully immersing the Player into the milieu. 

The new art & music, as always, are very cool. 

And there's quite a lot of booty to be had, as tracking a Dragon to its lair is always an enriching experience.

Thanks for another great time, Ray!   :D

-------------------------------------------------
*to understand that reference, play the mod   ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:04:45 PM by hans »

Offline Ray

Re: REVIEW: Game48: Wild Dragon's Den (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »

Thanks for the review, Hans!

Just want to mention that it is possible to try to rest in most of the Thunder Rift designs by leaving the dungeon as if you are heading back towards town.  Most of the time, there is a substantial chance of something attacking your camp, but it's better than no chance at all, hopefully.  I'm pretty sure that was the case in Wild Dragon's Den because the adventure didn't leave a lot of room for other alternatives.  Sleep is rough in flooded or parasite-infested rooms, and I try to imagine people bedding down and reading spellbooks in whatever rooms where I make rest an option. 

Also, thank you again for all of your feedback while you were playing through the design!

Glad you enjoyed this one more than Red Hand Trail!!!  :D

anything