Author Topic: REVIEW: Oddities  (Read 443 times)

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: REVIEW: Oddities
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
After hearing the horror stories that were the initial version, I went against my better judgment and went HARD difficulty (and rolled all 18s maxed out HP party), and managed to beat it, though not without many reloads. Still, it was doable, and I managed to get to the end with my whole party alive and standing. These battles certainly forced me to mix up strategies at times, such as setting party formations to unintuitive formations and trying out spell picks I normally wouldn't ever think of. When you win, though, it's very satisfying.

The ambiance and setting was certainly very rich, and every scene was accompanied by chilling, appropriate pieces of music. Also the moral discussions raised during the adventure were quite interesting, even if violence was inevitable.

I honestly have to admit, I had to cheat by looking up the stats of the enemies from the second battle in the monster editor to beat it. Other than that fight, which I kinda felt granting the Surprise round to the enemies was a bit unfair, I felt the rest of the battles were fair enough, despite the difficulty.

I noticed a couple typos, including one in the very first story-related text in the game ("DEFINATELY") and "NO SIGN THE OF HORSES" in the text in front of the castle. Nothing else, though.

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
My hearty congratulations on your courage and ingenuity, Jadefang!   :occasion16:

You da man!    :icon_rr:

And thanks for the typo info, those will be corrected for v1.2.   :computer: :whip2:

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »
 Cracked into this with a fresh cup at the start of a new day.

Ooo... that new art and the clanky pipe-organ beginning that just descends into Lum's mad key-banging... how I wished that the title portion was longer just to hear the complete piece... :D

I had no idea what to expect as I'm the sort to usually go very light and very easy on the combats.... but after selling all gems and jewelry (and getting rooked on quite a few of those gems at 5pc each >:(  ), I thought I had everything bagged and fragged setting forth...

Like another reviewer here, my experience was sobering and instantaneous.  I was -not- ready for the combats (I chose EASY encounters, rerolled only a few times to get a decently attributed character each time until my party was filled with a Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, Cleric-Magicuser, Magicuser, and Fighter-Rogue and thought that a few -5 and -7 acs were going to tip the scales unfairly in my favour), in which I was decimated thoroughly after the 1st encounter.  I am not a great tactician, and am guilty of quickfighting combats if only to avoid the 'cast lightning bolt here, grab-and-tuck in a backstab there' means of forcing my way through tricksome fields, which probably only served to hasten my own demise.

The setting and set-up... superb.  The art and sound... I cannot wait to see more.

Sitting here right now, I am not sure I want to edit my way to get further than the first 2 combats though.  I will wait a bit, then choose my means of continuing.  Not a disappointment, just surprised... especially after allowing me as a player to choose my means of security (a blanket difficulty setting outside the built-ins).  Until then, I will simply be a fly on the wall  :D

Dinner will be served shortly and I will return to this review after supping.

Review Part the Second -or- How I Learned To Stop Dying and Love the Combats:

After reflecting on the matters at hand, I opted to start again with a new party and remain roll-statted (rolling attributes and settling with a good roll) which led to a new Paladin, Ranger, Fighter-Cleric, Cleric, Magic-User, and Magic-User-Thief to meet up with their compatriots in town.  The lead-in to our mission was appropriately dramatic and critical, and so my intrepid group availed themselves of the local offerings before heading out.

At this point, I was sweaty-palmed and strategy-minded... and handily trounced an encounter that had been the bane of so many others before me.  My rewards would be plentiful and gloriously subtle:

Beautifully-timed music, sound effects, luscious graphics (which was really the carrot I had been nipping for) and even more hearty confrontations awaited... the fruitions were worthy of any number of attempts to reach them, and I am sitting here not quite sure what to say.  I will gather my words and continue after listing a few interesting observations:

* This project features conversational routines which play similarly to other offerings from the 2017 March 1-week challenge, yet in a differing format entirely.  From a play pov, I spent a few of them with one finger a-hover, trying to decode every nuance of the choices available.  Designerside, I was eager to experience these results as even now the conversation choices (especially those hearkening back to the Pool of Radiance days) seem underutilised in today's games.  The dialogues Hans generates are both appropriate and pinpoint-accurate for the genre.

* Customised enemies are fun.  As a player, I am not always privy to how many teeth rest in a menace's maw... and I like that.  Frustrating?  Betimes.  Educational?  Certainly, especially if I am only acquainted with the foe in name alone.  Fun?  Always.

* Stylisation:  not much to say, except that so many of Hans' creations for FRUAdom routinely centre or include or describe the circle of print comics and for this I am ever grateful.  His is a style all his own, and it was a consistently complete pleasure to meet my doom at the hands of his custom icons, conquer my foe in the colourful sprawl of his custom surroundings, and rise with the tale he told in an arc of his artwork.  Pure Hans.

A short-length offering but one, as I experienced it, even more essential to the FRUA experience: Like so many of you authors out there, Hans' works are all his own and yet draw from so many sources that I gained the comfort of watching an old Hammer film, teeth on edge, even whilst the Oddities were pulling me down.  As I have come to know, Hans may not have the loudest voice but he sure does appear in each and every one of his projects, by his own name or not.  Thank you for this simply beautiful work.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:13:27 PM by Kaz-Keith »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:12 AM »
Keith, did you notice you can rest anywhere outside combat and completely fix the party before the second encounter?

To survive that onslaught, it might help to put a tougher PC in the last position and cast a Fireball as soon as you're able to. The second combat is the toughest of the game, IMO, in case you're wondering if it will get any worse.

Offline hans

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »
More Strategy Tips: 

For EASY, I also recommend Maxxing out your Party.  Importing a Party (of levels 6 or higher) from another mod I would also consider kosher for playing EASY (just remove their items, first, if importing from a mod with a Diff.tbl <Ckit hacks>). 

Stinking Cloud and particularly Sleep are handy spells, especially in the Forest.

With only 6 combats, magical wands and necklaces can be used liberally. 

Gem & Jewelry prices, I believe, are randomly assigned at appraisal, so if you're really getting rooked, Reload and try again. 

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 01:39:04 PM »
Keith, did you notice you can rest anywhere outside combat and completely fix the party before the second encounter?

To survive that onslaught, it might help to put a tougher PC in the last position and cast a Fireball as soon as you're able to. The second combat is the toughest of the game, IMO, in case you're wondering if it will get any worse.

Hey :)  Yup I took full advantage of cowering in the trees, one of our party making wolf-go-away noises whilst the others slept.

I found one particular item (a wand, shockingly enough) to be of great benefit and, with great and bruis-ed hindsight, pre-purchased several for use :D

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »
More Strategy Tips: 

For EASY, I also recommend Maxxing out your Party.  Importing a Party (of levels 6 or higher) from another mod I would also consider kosher for playing EASY (just remove their items, first, if importing from a mod with a Diff.tbl <Ckit hacks>). 

Stinking Cloud and particularly Sleep are handy spells, especially in the Forest.

With only 6 combats, magical wands and necklaces can be used liberally. 

Gem & Jewelry prices, I believe, are randomly assigned at appraisal, so if you're really getting rooked, Reload and try again.

Howdy!  Getting randomly rooked comes part and parcel with rpgs, don't it?  :D  I hope you didn't feel like you had to defend yourself in light of the difficulties some of us had.  Truly, it speaks to my ability to strategise and once I formulated one I found success (battered muchly but success!), and shouldn't reflect on the play so much as the player.

I would say that I had more than enough supplies to start with, the 'difficulty setting' and any extraneous boons to be discovered excluded, to succeed much less survive :)

My review is completed.  Thank you Hans.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 05:00:03 AM »
It would be a shame to miss out on the great graphics and adventure because the combats are too hard. You might try adding the line "1f102 1 90" to the diff.tbl in the design directory. This should hopefully allow you to access the "WIN" button during combat.

Can I just put that line anywhere or does it have to be in a specific place? I put it below the "1e..." lines, using Windows' text editor, and it made the "WIN" command appear in combat, but it's only available in the beginning, maybe until the first PC goes down? And it seems to make the game prone to weird crashes and glitches (like the one in the attached screenshot) ...

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. In fact you need two lines for the diff.tbl:

1f102 74 90
1f103 10 90

Hopefully that should work for you. Just pop them in after the 1e... lines, as you did. Sorry for the misinformation -- and for going a bit off topic.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:28 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding to this. In fact you need two lines for the diff.tbl:

1f102 74 90
1f103 10 90

Hopefully that should work for you. Just pop them in after the 1e... lines, as you did. Sorry for the misinformation -- and for going a bit off topic.

In the meantime I've already completed the design without any need of cheating, but this might come in handy in the future, thanks! :)

anything