Author Topic: Art Resources Proposal  (Read 78 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Art Resources Proposal
« on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
I have been making a lot of icons recently for the Hero Craft projet. My workflow got me to thinking...
I take an existing icon make one from found game sprites on web.
I then go about putting the icon into layers - hair, footwear, handwear, headwear, clothes and figure (an sometimes a layer behind the figure for capes or wings, etc).

A very long time ago, Jorg Weber released layered icons for us to use to make our own icons.

What about making some new ones for community use, but the community?

Any or all of us icon makers could "donate" bases and/or various layers.

We could leave these as separate PNG files or let someone (I volunteer) to take the various layers and put them into a layered file and repost that (probably PSD as that can be opened by Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop and GIMP).

Any one interested in helping out? Even just commenting will be helping out. ;)

And maybe we can try the same thing with some small pics/portraits - kind of like th eportrait makers that Uatu and I made.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Art Resources Proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
Sounds like a nice idea. I don't have a particular interest in super hero icons though I'm still interested to see the results.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
That's how Baldur's Gate works. With layered (animated) sprites. So are you asking for PNG files of hats, capes, boots, weapons, and the like?

For something like that, you would have to establish a common perspective pose as standard for all icons.

**Something to consider is that for a library... vector format might work better; perhaps using Inkscape, Flash, Illustrator, or Corel Draw.  The reason is all of the resizing, and minor deformations that might be needed to suit the different icons. It also would mean that the library could serve for any supported resolution; without need of resampling (and the associated detail loss). You could then generate crisp 2D art at any size desired. Also Vector apps can often convert existing 2D art into vector art.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:23:39 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
Sounds like a nice idea. I don't have a particular interest in super hero icons though I'm still interested to see the results.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. This would not be for icons specific to superheroes. I just thought of it while making a superhero icon.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
That's how Baldur's Gate works. With layered (animated) sprites. So are you asking for PNG files of hats, capes, boots, weapons, and the like?

For something like that, you would have to establish a common perspective pose as standard for all icons.

**Something to consider is that for a library... vector format might work better; perhaps using Inkscape, Flash, Illustrator, or Corel Draw.  The reason is all of the resizing, and minor deformations that might be needed to suit the different icons. It also would mean that the library could serve for any supported resolution; without need of resampling (and the associated detail loss). You could then generate crisp 2D art at any size desired. Also Vector apps can often convert existing 2D art into vector art.

The idea is that someone will an icon base, and then they or someone else will make "overlays" for that specific icon. The layer files would not be used directly in DC. One would hide unwanted layers and flatten to make "heir" icon.

I've attached an example of what I am talking about (made by Jorg Weber).

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
Aha. This is cool; (and greatly reminds me of the original PoR/Curse Icon creation phase in character creation ;) ).

I got that the first time, but I didn't get that you intended a single base figure. I thought you meant accessory images to add to various figures; (that's where the need for resizing and deformation came to mind).
__

Aside: I know that you just mean for it to be an artist's aid, but if you are going to go all out and have this library... what about actually using it in Dungeoncraft during player character creation? (Just like PoR)

Wouldn't it be possible to composite the player icon in Ram, and use the composite bitmap as their icon? Potentially allowing a recompositing to be done later? (just like PoR)...

**Or the über version:  Implement realtime recompositing affected by equipment changes in inventory.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:36:53 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
Quote from: Mechanaut
Wouldn't it be possible to......[etc]

Certainly.  All these things are definitely possible.  Also, it
is possible that YOU could implement these features.  It will
require some study of the DC code but you can do it.  I am sure.
I'll help you over the rough spots to the best of MY ability.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »

Also, it is possible that YOU could implement these features. 
Well and rightly said.  ;)   (It reminds me of the unexpurgated version of The Little Red Hen.)
The suggestion was but a semi-serious aside, appended after my reply.

I have dabbled in Lua, and with Monodevelop (and Borland C++, VC++, VB6+, Python...), but I wouldn't consider myself a programmer; nor even a hobbyist programmer really.  I would always get turned off to it (from an early age) by example code that wouldn't compile, and so never really developed the passion for coding—despite really wanting to.

I did work on a hobby project, a portrait editor for 'Eye of the Beholder' and a PAK file archiver for the same.  Despite having code for decompressing Westwood CPS files, I never managed to code a compressor for format 80... And that was something I really wanted to have.

I might be able to help on the layered pixel art though...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:33:40 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
I do mean for there to be mutile base icons - each in it's own file. ;) I don't plan on doing any vector art for this, bbut you are welcome to go that route. :) I"m not planning on doing any 3D art that I resize, either. For me, this is all about pushing pixels.

I envision wanting to have at least one icon per gender per PC race, and hope to have at least same for all NPC races and multiple per each PC race and class.

I will start by going through Jorg Weber's icons (which I've had for what...15 years?) and including my additionanl layers. :D

If you want to work on adding the icon feature you mentioned above, start by looking at the CDX code, because you will first need to add support for a new file type. If I understood this better, I owuld add support for GIF files, because that would give us animations everywhere! ;)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
I am very interested in this and I think it is a good idea, and I would like to see icons, portraits and even sprites done this way.

My artwork (3d mostly for now) surely can be used for this but I doubt I will be able to help more directly. I have decided to give priority to learning how to program to be able to work and improve DC :), in the meantime I will be also working on my mod and 3d art done with DS.

Hm I will post more about my plans in my mod thread, but this is very interesting subject as I surely like to have good default art. I am hoping to catch up with pixel art done like this, I have not yet tried much but I guess I can make some changes if needed.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
If I understood this better, I owuld add support for GIF files, because that would give us animations everywhere! ;)
MNG or aPNG might be better than GIF, as they support transparency, 8/16/24/32-bit color images, as well as animation...
But I've never even looked at the specification.