Author Topic: problems with $SetWall function  (Read 1024 times)

Offline marainein

problems with $SetWall function
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »
I've run into weird graphical errors with walls made by $SetWall. They look kind of like the wall graphics are being read from the wrong part of the wall template image.

Attached below are screenshots of the problem - a normal looking wall (wall_greyAbode.png), made by the editor on the right, the $SetWall made one on the left - both are at the same distance.

(also an area view screenshot to prove both walls actually exist).

If need be, I can upload a minimod.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:50:08 PM by marainein »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: problems with $SetWall function
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
That error is not caused by the function. It is caused by something that I don't know that we discussed this when implementiing the function, but a wall of format does not appear well as an overlay or door with a wall of a different format as the base wall. This is obvious when filling the wall editor, but not obvious if you are using the wall from a different slot via a function.

Can you please make a mini-mod of what you are showing so that Paul and I can work on this?

Offline marainein

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks Manikus. Minimod attached as requested

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
Got the mini-mod, thanks. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »
I guess, without looking into the mod, that it is about using different wall types. If you want to replace "no wall" with another wall, you have to place a "transparent" wall at the place where the other wall shall be placed. You can, to my knowledge, also not exchange a wall in the default format with a wall in another format.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline marainein

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:12:12 AM »
I guess, without looking into the mod, that it is about using different wall types.

I'm not trying to do anything fancy here - just use $SetWall with the template module to make standard walls of the type already included in the module. If the fault is mine, can someone please give an example of how to correctly use $SetWall?

If you want to replace "no wall" with another wall, you have to place a "transparent" wall at the place where the other wall shall be placed.
I'm very confused by this.

You can, to my knowledge, also not exchange a wall in the default format with a wall in another format.
I wasn't trying to, but from the types of visual errors I see with this, I suspect I may have partially succeeded - it looks kind of like an error caused by differing wall formats.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 02:37:56 AM »
If you want to replace "no wall" with another wall, you have to place a "transparent" wall at the place where the other wall shall be placed.
I'm very confused by this.

Sorry, probably due to my limited English abilities.
What I meant is:
If you have two squares without a wall between them, and then try to place a wall between the squares in game using the $setwall function or a logic block, it might not work.
I am not sure if it works when the wall you try to place is in the default format, I have to admit. It does in any case not work if you use a wall in another format.
The way to avoid the problem is to make an "empty" wall template like the one I have attached (this is what I meant with "transparent wall" above) and place it between the squares. Then, you can replace this "empty wall" with another one in the same wall format.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
I am very confused by all of this.  I thought, and so far I think,
that you should be able to replace the walls rather generically.

Perhaps Manikus can help me understand the problem and
perhaps we can make this work a little better.  I would like
to try.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
marainein, I need your Resources folder. You're not using the standard images.
There are too many errors to allow me to do anteing.

Offline marainein

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »
You're not using the standard images.
Now that's a shocking plot twist - I was sure that I was. I deleted everything in the resources folder as part of making the minimod ready for upload, but I'll try and remake it. Stay tuned.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
Now that's a shocking plot twist - I was sure that I was. I deleted everything in the resources folder as part of making the minimod ready for upload, but I'll try and remake it. Stay tuned.

Mini-mods that are built using anything other than the default art need to oinclude that art, otherwise Paul and I can't make the mod run. :)

Offline marainein

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »

Mini-mods that are built using anything other than the default art need to oinclude that art, otherwise Paul and I can't make the mod run. :)
Yes, but I wasn't using any non-default art in the minimod - unless the resources folder in templateDesign.dsn somehow gained some art it shouldn't have or something else bizzare happened...anyway, here's the resource folder:

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
I must have gotten my wires crossed then - the border issue, the working on Pools and an empty Resources folder in the mini-mod - I thought you were submitting a mall bit of a current design. :)

I'll look at this over the weekend and get it on to Paul.

Offline marainein

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
I must have gotten my wires crossed then - the border issue, the working on Pools and an empty Resources folder in the mini-mod - I thought you were submitting a mall bit of a current design. :)

I'll look at this over the weekend and get it on to Paul.
Thanks! I appreciate this one - I'm looking forward to actually seeing my generated dungeons from a first person view :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
I am very confused by all of this.  I thought, and so far I think,
that you should be able to replace the walls rather generically.

Perhaps Manikus can help me understand the problem and
perhaps we can make this work a little better.  I would like
to try.

Hi Paul and Manikus, I just tested it: $SetWall works well as long as you exchange walls of the same type, but as I wrote above, exchanging walls of different types leads to effects like those marainein encountered. I have so far never seen this as a problem, but it would of course be cool if also different wall types could be replaced with each other.

anything