Author Topic: Your FRUA strategies  (Read 478 times)

Offline Moonbeam111

Your FRUA strategies
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »
Hey guys! I thought this would be an interesting thread where we could discuss each others strategies when playing FRUA and maybe learn from each other.

What equipment do you give your characters? What do you do when your party is battling an army of pesky goblins? Or how about those annoying monsters who are immune to non-magical weapons or spells? How do you protect your less defensive players such as mages?

In my case, I usually don't have a strategy, (I'm still kind of new, hence the thread) so I usually let the computer take control unless there is a mage on the opposing team who can cast powerful spells. In which case I have my ranger attack the mage first just in case.

I've heard about having characters who use bows and arrows in long range, then when the enemies get close enough having them switch to swords and fight like that.

If you're up to it feel free to share your own ways on how you slay your enemies!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:20:12 PM by Moonbeam111 »

Offline Dorateen

Re: Your FRUA strategies
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »
I always try to maneuver a thief behind enemy lines, once they've been engaged. Use the delay command to wait for the thief to go last in the round, then get into position. Next round, wait until another character gets the first attack on an enemy, then have the thief execute a backstab.

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:09:27 PM »
I always try to maneuver a thief behind enemy lines, once they've been engaged. Use the delay command to wait for the thief to go last in the round, then get into position. Next round, wait until another character gets the first attack on an enemy, then have the thief execute a backstab.
Did I just answer your post on codex a minute ago?

@topic, I certainly do the same as above with thieves, I also tend to choose targets that more than one fighters can reach from standing. I try to keep track of what opponents are casting a spell; and target them with missile weapons or area effect spells, if they are not in melee range.  I tend to use Cloud spells most,and generally to form ramparts on the field.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:54:25 PM »
What equipment do you give your characters?

The best possible equipment.  ;)

Seriously, though, I tend to have my warrior classes decked out in the best armor available with shields and long swords.  Rarely, I might go with a two-handed sword.  My mages will typically have darts and a quarterstaff (but only for when enemies get too close).

What do you do when your party is battling an army of pesky goblins?

Kill them.

Or how about those annoying monsters who are immune to non-magical weapons or spells?

If I have the weapons or spells to deal with them, I do.  If not, I flee the battle and tend to make a note that when I review the module to mention that the author didn't provide me with weapons I needed to defeat the encounter or set it up so that I would be the appropriate level before reaching it.

How do you protect your less defensive players such as mages?

Whenever possible, make sure the warriors and heavily armored classes (like the cleric) are in front of them to cut off access to the enemies.

I've heard about having characters who use bows and arrows in long range, then when the enemies get close enough having them switch to swords and fight like that.

Also a decent strategy, but one of the failings of 1st Edition AD&D is that bows don't allow you to add any bonuses based on your Dexterity or Strength scores (something that later editions, I feel, did better).  As a result of that, it's better to just close the gap and start hitting things with weapons.

In addition, getting into melee with your enemies can prevent them from using ranged weapons against your vulnerable party members (like mages).  So, most of the time, I don't bother with arrows.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
Appreciate the input. I'm really learning a lot here and I hope others are too!

Interesting! I always wondered what use the delay command could possibly have in Unlimited Adventures for but now I know.

@topic, I certainly do the same as above with thieves, I also tend to choose targets that more than one fighters can reach from standing. I try to keep track of what opponents are casting a spell; and target them with missile weapons or area effect spells, if they are not in melee range.  I tend to use Cloud spells most,and generally to form ramparts on the field.

I never thought about using a cloud spell to create a defensive shield! I'll have to remember that next time I'm up against a tough enemy.

Quote from: Moonbeam111 on Today at 03:12:16 PM
What equipment do you give your characters?

The best possible equipment.  ;)

Seriously, though, I tend to have my warrior classes decked out in the best armor available with shields and long swords.  Rarely, I might go with a two-handed sword.  My mages will typically have darts and a quarterstaff (but only for when enemies get too close).

Oh right! I forgot mages can use darts and I didn't realize how much damage a quarterstaff can do until I looked at the weapons table. My mages have been using a sling and a dagger. I will definitely use the aforementioned weapons now.

Also a decent strategy, but one of the failings of 1st Edition AD&D is that bows don't allow you to add any bonuses based on your Dexterity or Strength scores (something that later editions, I feel, did better).  As a result of that, it's better to just close the gap and start hitting things with weapons.

In addition, getting into melee with your enemies can prevent them from using ranged weapons against your vulnerable party members (like mages).  So, most of the time, I don't bother with arrows.
Are you sure about that? I thought rangers do get bonuses based on there Dexterity and Strength scores. I may be wrong but doesn't FRUA follow 2nd AD&D anyway.

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:03 PM »
...Or how about those annoying monsters who are immune to non-magical weapons or spells?...

Spiritual Hammer.   :violent1:

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
Are you sure about that? I thought rangers do get bonuses based on there Dexterity and Strength scores. I may be wrong but doesn't FRUA follow 2nd AD&D anyway.

FRUA is mostly steeped in 1st Edition AD&D, but there could be some 2nd Edition in there.  But, even if there were, there were no rules in 1st or 2nd for giving bonus damage based upon Strength or Dexterity while using a bow unless you're using a Composite Long Bow (and even then, it is a Strength bonus, which may not be a Dex character's greatest asset).  The missile adjustment is only used for determining the chance to hit.  For this reason, bashing something with a sword is usually preferable if you've rolled characters with a Strength value that includes a bonus modifier.

5th Edition, to use a more modern example, gives a bonus to the damage equal to the Dexterity modifier when using a bow, which makes a huge difference in damage and makes the bow a more viable choice.  Honestly, it's a thing that I've always felt should be in D&D since the beginning.

As far as the Ranger goes, you may be confusing their ability to add damage equal to their level on a successful hit against certain creatures.  So, that would certainly make it seem like Rangers are getting a bonus...and they are to a specific set of creatures, but not for the reasons you might think.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:50:23 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
Some tactics I use:

If I find Boots of Speed, Ring of Invisbility and Wand of Lightning I give them to my Fighter/Thief. I like a character with high movement who can move at will without provoking opportunity attacks, and who can get in optimal position for backstabs.

Going for Bracers + Rings and Cloaks of Protection is usually better than magic armour even for Fighter types, due to improved Saving Throws and less encumbrance.

Always make sure enemy spell casters are not allowed to cast their spells. The best method is to use a Necklace of Missiles or Wands of Fireball/Ice Storm/Lightning Bolt on groups of them if you have such items.
Wand of Magic Missiles is good against single mages, since unlike missile weapons it never misses.
Spells like Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill can also make them unable to cast spells, since they are coughing or taking damage each round.

At low levels, spells like Slow and Haste may be a bette alternative for your Mages than the obvious Fireball, especially if you already have Necklace of Missiles and Wands of Fireball or Ice Storm.
Slow is great for reducing damage from enemies like Giants (they'll only attack every second round), and Haste is great when dealing with enemies that shrug off magical attacks, like Drow.

Don't understimate the Enlarge spell. At about lvl 10 you can have characters with 22-23 STR for several hours of in game time, which can translate into lots of extra damage (lots more than a single Magic Missile) in areas with lots of combat.

Offline Ray

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

While I agree with Ben that missile weapons lose a lot of their appeal as you gain levels, I differ when my characters are lower level.  At low levels, the rate of fire for a bow allows me a better chance that something will land.  So, I always have a ranger and a thief laying down arrows while my paladin and fighter are running in for melee.

As levels add up, though, the thief is more likely to run in for the backstab, and the ranger is much more likely to be dealing massive damage because of his ranger level bonus.  And, also, the wizard is more likely to be laying down the area-effect spells, so the wizard alone can impact everybody (if I'm lucky) that the ranger and thief used to be shooting with their little arrows...

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
Our party has an elf fighter/magic-user who hates getting into hand to hand combat, and avoids it at all costs.

I remember the first time playing Pools of Radiance, he was hoarding 300 arrows in his inventory until I realized his movement was 3.

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »

FRUA is mostly steeped in 1st Edition AD&D, but there could be some 2nd Edition in there.  But, even if there were, there were no rules in 1st or 2nd for giving bonus damage based upon Strength or Dexterity while using a bow unless you're using a Composite Long Bow (and even then, it is a Strength bonus, which may not be a Dex character's greatest asset).  The missile adjustment is only used for determining the chance to hit.  For this reason, bashing something with a sword is usually preferable if you've rolled characters with a Strength value that includes a bonus modifier.

5th Edition, to use a more modern example, gives a bonus to the damage equal to the Dexterity modifier when using a bow, which makes a huge difference in damage and makes the bow a more viable choice.  Honestly, it's a thing that I've always felt should be in D&D since the beginning.

I've only ever played Ray's The Realm Series on FRUA and I always heard it was based mostly off of 2nd AD&D. Of course some mechanics such as getting exp when you receive gold I know is based off of 1e but I thought most of the other mechanics were from 2e.

As far as the Ranger goes, you may be confusing their ability to add damage equal to their level on a successful hit against certain creatures.  So, that would certainly make it seem like Rangers are getting a bonus...and they are to a specific set of creatures, but not for the reasons you might think.

Yeah I think that's where I'm getting confused, mixing chance to hit with bonus damage (if that's what you mean?). Plus I've read 1e, 2e, 3e and 4e recently and my heads in a scramble  trying to keep up with the rules from different editions. Its sometimes hard to keep up.

While I agree with Ben that missile weapons lose a lot of their appeal as you gain levels, I differ when my characters are lower level.  At low levels, the rate of fire for a bow allows me a better chance that something will land.  So, I always have a ranger and a thief laying down arrows while my paladin and fighter are running in for melee.

As levels add up, though, the thief is more likely to run in for the backstab, and the ranger is much more likely to be dealing massive damage because of his ranger level bonus.  And, also, the wizard is more likely to be laying down the area-effect spells, so the wizard alone can impact everybody (if I'm lucky) that the ranger and thief used to be shooting with their little arrows...

I agree with you there, as far as actual usage goes for Rangers in FRUA just the fact they can aim from so far away and have deadly accuracy has made them the most consistently helpful for me in defeating monsters.  I've only had a party of mostly mid to lower levels though so that may change eventually. :-\

Some tactics I use:

If I find Boots of Speed, Ring of Invisbility and Wand of Lightning I give them to my Fighter/Thief. I like a character with high movement who can move at will without provoking opportunity attacks, and who can get in optimal position for backstabs.

Going for Bracers + Rings and Cloaks of Protection is usually better than magic armour even for Fighter types, due to improved Saving Throws and less encumbrance.

Always make sure enemy spell casters are not allowed to cast their spells. The best method is to use a Necklace of Missiles or Wands of Fireball/Ice Storm/Lightning Bolt on groups of them if you have such items.
Wand of Magic Missiles is good against single mages, since unlike missile weapons it never misses.
Spells like Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill can also make them unable to cast spells, since they are coughing or taking damage each round.

At low levels, spells like Slow and Haste may be a bette alternative for your Mages than the obvious Fireball, especially if you already have Necklace of Missiles and Wands of Fireball or Ice Storm.
Slow is great for reducing damage from enemies like Giants (they'll only attack every second round), and Haste is great when dealing with enemies that shrug off magical attacks, like Drow.

Don't understimate the Enlarge spell. At about lvl 10 you can have characters with 22-23 STR for several hours of in game time, which can translate into lots of extra damage (lots more than a single Magic Missile) in areas with lots of combat.

Sweet tactics! I will definately keep these in mind.

...Or how about those annoying monsters who are immune to non-magical weapons or spells?...

Spiritual Hammer.   :violent1:

I forgot about Spiritual Hammer. Certainly would have come in handy when I was facing an iron golem who was resistant to ALL spells and magic weapons of <+3 and all I had were magical weapons of +2 or less. :(

Our party has an elf fighter/magic-user who hates getting into hand to hand combat, and avoids it at all costs.

I remember the first time playing Pools of Radiance, he was hoarding 300 arrows in his inventory until I realized his movement was 3.

Haha encumbrance has always been a pain in the back for me too. Thats why I love magical weapons, in addition to no weight added to your PC you also have added chances to hit and damage.

anything