Author Topic: Thinking of the Serial Module  (Read 763 times)

Offline marainein

Re: Thinking of the Serial Module
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 04:17:36 AM »
Yes, but we've all got different ideas. We'd have to converge on one to get something done

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 03:09:41 PM »
To avoid some of the difficulties of having people writing parallel narratives independently of each other, it might help to have a very small central location, such as a village or a tiny island, from which all the adventures begin. No adventures take place in this central location. It is the one location that can not be changed or altered.

From there, adventures could be located in different directions: N, S, E, and W if there are 4 authors. Inlcude NE, SE, SW, and NW if there are 8 authors.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:57:53 AM by Nol Drek »
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
That's a pretty good idea.  The main town area could be the same in each module, a plug in area that doesn't change, except for perhaps one NPC mission-giver (because the mission would be different each time).  There might even be just one exit that will transport you to the destination where the mission takes place, along with a message like: "Leave the town and explore the mountain valley?" or "Leave the town and explore the jungle areas?" depending on each module.

Honestly, if people are involved in a serial module project, they should expect some constraints.  Going outside the box is something you would probably save for your own individual modules.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline marainein

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »
To avoid some of the difficulties of having people writing parallel narratives independently of each other, it might help to have a very small central location, such as a village or a tiny island, from which all the adventures begin. No adventures take place in this central location. It is the one location that can not be changed or altered.
True, but if you make the central location too small and limited, it becomes little more than a menu for choosing among game modules that have nothing to do with each other. We want the separate narratives to connect together in some meaningful way

The original Pool of Radiance was a good case of how to balance the two and tie a number of independent missions together into a plot.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 04:01:05 AM »
It seems to me that the less firmly established and detailed the location (leaving more for individual authors to construct themselves), the more it would share the same, or similar, potential pitfalls of the previous project. 
[...]

Personally, I think I rather enjoy that sort of chaos, having to react to what crazy things other people come up with instead of just doing my own thing based on a fixed setting. But I see what you mean, hans, and why it might make the project more likely to fail.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 04:04:35 PM »
In the case of a serial mod hub, as it were, the base location can launch a thousand adventures depending upon its use:

* Literally, a busy sea-port can provide adventurous destinations (aside from the sure-to-be-awash-in-enemies city sewers and the city-based adventures therein)...

* A giant mega-dungeon can be divided into sprawling adventure-calling territories, surrounding the bleak but spirited settlement of delvers willing to explore beyond its rustic camp, slipshod tavern and hardluck inn...

* The last Pool of Radiance has been found... the Pool of Portals.  No telling what lies for =you= when you step into its waters...

* The Adventurer's Guild, premiere location spawning a thousand and one bards' tales... a hunting party is departing for the nearby woods, a senior adventurer (well into his years and his cups) is putting together a dangerous expedition, a rival Guild in another part of the realms is hosting a challenge event with our Guild as top contender...

* Revisiting classics: what does the Keep on the Borderlands look like in the Forgotten Realms?  The caves of chaos?  The Barrier Peaks crash site?  Ray Dyer's done all the legwork for the classics, now get in there and turn them on their heads with your own flavoured spin...

* Mission Quite Probable:  the players are being hosted by one of the generals of an advancing army surrounding a conquered city (I envision sacked Arabel and the heroic cormyrean rabble trying to oust the orc armies during a wartorn era), ready to retake it... numerous forays and efforts are undertaken to reclaim it, piece by piece if necessary, with your party doing most if not all of the heavy lifting...

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:12 AM »
If the project is not a strict serial but a hub with adventures, there's the challenge of consistency in experience, levels and equipment though. These things would have to be regulated somehow, too, regardless of setting and story consistencies.

Offline hans

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
...I suspect a reason why we have so few UA designs these days, apart from the obvious lack in time and other interests of us community members, is perfectionism. So it might also make sense for everyone to lower their expectations and join such a project just for the fun of it and maybe using pseudonyms, without any worries about whether the quality of single episodes would be up to their usual standards.

I reckon this is true ("perfectionism"), at least in my case.  I just finished spending 2-and-a-half years on what was supposed to be a mini-mod.   :angry9: 

I already created one pseudonym (Rocco Taku) to hang on mods that weren't good enough to be considered "hans" mods, but Rocco got his own delusions of grandeur.  After I release his next mod (target: early Spring), I plan to create another pseudonym with lower standards (and less given to unnecessary artistic flourishes) which I hope will allow me to be more productive.

anything