Author Topic: Fds class  (Read 2004 times)

Offline ArmorNox (Funky Dynamite)

Fds class
« on: December 01, 2016, 03:53:25 PM »
Okay, Manikus told me to start another thread in this particular sub-forum.  What I'm trying to do is create a Assassin class with spell casting abilities, with fewer thevish skills.  Unfortunately, it is not functioning in DC.He said I should also post a text file of what I have.  At the beginning of this, I cobbled together a...I don't know what to call it...base class data?   Is this what you needed, or you need something else?
To further clarify, I know I make some weird stuff.  I'm aware the Ability Requirements are outside the norm.  ...As i said, weird.  "Plane-Touched" is my own custom race, which needs some fine tuning on my part but seems to be working fine.  Like I said before, I cobbled it together from the other classes and tried to adjust things here and there.  I used the EXP from the Paladin, the Base Spells Levels from the Magic user (my class does cast  fewer than  a normal Magic User, but I was just trying to get in the class into the engine...), saving throws from the Assassin, and the thevish skills that were appropriate to the class....
"Where does he get those -wonderful- toys?!"
"Why, I sell my soul, of course...."

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Fds class
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »
Looking through your baseclass, I hope to be able to help you fix it so that it works as you desire and to provide some idea of how this database works for anyone else who might want to create their own classes.

Issue #1 - thieving skills adjustments
Starting at line #153 are the Skill adjustments for thieviing skills. The lines are not syntactically inorrect, but they will never advance the starting number because you have a different baseclass lsited, in this case "assassin". No matter how many levels you achieve in your terminator baseclass, your assassin level will always be 0, so your score will never improve

Issue #2 - saving throw adjustments
The same issue that affects the thieving skills affects your baseclass saving throws - unless you have levels in assassin (which you could conceivably have in a multi-class I guess) you will never improve.

Both of these should follow the format

SkillAdjBaseclass = Skill name,terminator,modifier,#1,#2,...#40

Issue #3 - Thieving Skills showing in character view
You need to open up your special abilities database and go to the Global_Display SA.
This is a big SA, but don't worry, you want to use the "Find" function of your text editor to look for the line:
Code: [Select]
-$IF (class == "Assassin" || class == "Thief")
Change this line to:
-$IF (class == "Assassin" || class == "Thief" || class == "Terminator")

Issue #4 - magic spells
yeah, I got nothing for this one...yet.
Fix the other issues and re-import everything and then we will work on this issue.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 06:28:59 PM »
Quote from: Manikus
This is a big SA, but don't worry, you want to use the "Find" function of your text editor to look for the line:

Here is an example of something I would try to avoid.
If certain classes have special characteristics, they should
not be identified via tests for their names.  This is an example
of 'hard-coding' that we are trying to avoid and have very
much successfully avoided in the engine.  If they are somehow
special, they should be identified by having a SpecialAbility.
This particular example should make the reason clear.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »
Here is an example of something I would try to avoid.
If certain classes have special characteristics, they should
not be identified via tests for their names.  This is an example
of 'hard-coding' that we are trying to avoid and have very
much successfully avoided in the engine.  If they are somehow

I'm not quite understanding, Paul.  Are you you saying I shouldn't be messing with it...?  Or are you just saying this feature of the program is flawed and it needs work?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
Quote from: Manikus

If they are somehow

You are saying that there should be a SA called something like "ThiefAbilities" and that the Global_Display SA should check whether a character has the "ThiefAbilities" SA instead of checking the class name. I can see how this would make it easier to create new classes by making changes in one location instead of two.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »
I assume that Fds class refers to Funky Dynamite's class, not to: http://www.fds.info/
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
easier to create new classes by making changes in one location instead of two.

It is more than that.  How do you know that there
are not three places that need updates?  Four?
Five?  How could you know?  Only by searching for
something in the SpecialAbilities database.  How do
you know what to search for?   Hmmmm.  A tough
task for a beginner.  Tough even for an expert to
remember to do the search and how to perform such
a search.  How do you know when such a search is
necessary? 

Copying a 'Thief' class and making adjustments is
so much more straight-forward.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:26 AM »
To further clarify, I know I make some weird stuff.  I'm aware the Ability Requirements are outside the norm.  ...As i said, weird.  "Plane-Touched" is my own custom race, which needs some fine tuning on my part but seems to be working fine. 

FD -- its great that you are experimenting with this. Its addressing an area that (afaik) has not had a lot of documentation on. Also, its good to see you back doin the custom stuff. I've been off the forum for a bit and was glad to see you returned.

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »
Paul, you are absolutely right. And what is more, you have pointed out this kind of thing to me before. I will fixx this, but not right this moment, as fixing Global_Display and Competing mamy take me some time, so I want to wait until the end of the month when the library will be closed and there will be four or five days in a row with no internet to interrupt me. :D

Not coincidentally, these two SAs are by far the larges in the database. I suspect there is more than just this one issue with each of them that I need to cahnge.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:09:23 PM »
FD -- its great that you are experimenting with this. Its addressing an area that (afaik) has not had a lot of documentation on. Also, its good to see you back doin the custom stuff. I've been off the forum for a bit and was glad to see you returned.

ST

Thank you, ST.  Um, I really got out of DC when 1.00 came out, and when I tried to upgrade, and my version of the program...well, to put it politely nuked itself.  Life happened as it does, got a new comp, and recently started watching streams of players playing the old Ravenloft games by SSI?, which I'm a HUGE fan of (I played a weird Ravenloft campaign for about a decade), and Menzoberranzan, and I thought "hmmm...." When I go hmmmm, things tend to get interesting.... :D  I tracked down the most recent version of DC, had trouble again....contacted Manikus...and here we are.
Like I said, I'm the guy who does off the wall stuff.   I have a loose style that puts story first in RPs.  Hence  have a lot of clashing elements in my campaigns, but I make them work...  So, I have a habit of trying unusual stuff that people have rarely tried before. ...or at least putting it together with other elements....

Anyway, Manikus, I did what you said.  Class now has thevish skills....   My custom race nuked itself, but I eventually fixed it...somehow.
I do have more questions, but they'll hold.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
Feel free to ask questions - it's the only way you'll get answers. ;)

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
okay then....
My first question is about Infravision...night vision? Whatever the term is....
a.) How to put it onto a item....
b.) How to give  it to a race...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
okay then....
My first question is about Infravision...night vision? Whatever the term is....
a.) How to put it onto a item....
Add a line to the item record that is:
Special Ability = Infravision,60
In the editor, just click on the Special Ability button and type in a name. :)

b.) How to give  it to a race...
You add aline just like above.
OR
Skill = Infravision,60

I used "60" to represent the number of feet that the Infravision might be good for. :)
As a point of fact, the appropriate races in the default database already have the Infravision skill.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 08:54:49 PM »
Yes, I know.  I saw it in the data file.  It's just that I recently did some relatively heavy editing on he items, mostly to fit with my own house rules, and added quite a few items, including one similar to the Eyes of Charming, that gives infravision.  No, I didn't delete anything, I know that would be...bad, just tweaked things here and there. 

What do you mean item record...?  Simply in the editor or do I have to add a line of code somewhere else?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:00:01 PM by Funky Dynamite »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
Yes, I know.  I saw it in the data file.  It's just that I recently did some relatively heavy editing on he items, mostly to fit with my own house rules, and added quite a few items, including one similar to the Eyes of Charming, that gives infravision.  No, I didn't delete anything, I know that would be...bad, just tweaked things here and there. 

What do you mean item record...?  Simply in the editor or do I have to add a line of code somewhere else?

Sorry to drop "record" in there. I meant 'item' or 'spell' or 'race', whichever database you are working in.

If you add something in the editor, you don't need to add it in the text file and vice versa (assuming that importing and exporting are keeping both of your copies up-to-date).

anything