Author Topic: automatic procedural dungeons  (Read 571 times)

Offline Lokken

automatic procedural dungeons
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
Hi people!

I was creating the underdark zone, for my game version, and i was thinking if there is a possibility to create an automatic warping zone (like --> explore the underdark) so the player can move down in the dungeon without (game programming) limits.

(anyway i've made a few maps, if there is people who wants to play i can upload the beta of the game.)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: automatic procedural dungeons
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »
Are you asking if it is possible to write a program to randomly generate dungeon levels? If so, the answer is "yes."

Or are you asking if Dungeon Craft (or FRUA) can randomly generate dungeons from within the game engine? If so, the answer is "I doubt it."
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Lokken

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »
I was asking for the second.

Implement a specific program in the engine to generate dungeons in more complicated.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
Implement a specific program in the engine to generate dungeons...

I have thought about this before. I think it would be possible in DC but with some limitations. Are you familiar with 'geomorphs'? If not, the basic idea is that they are similarly shaped groups of mazes done on graph paper (or hex paper, but for our situation of 4 directional movement we will run with graphpapaer), and they have specific exits set up so that any two geomorphs put side to side would make a bigger map (they do NOT always have to allow passage, but they should more often than not).

Perhaps examples will better explain. If so, google "geomorphs" and check out the images. There are TONS of these available.

---

So how do you set this up in DC? you would set up something that would be like a maze. Each time you move from one geomorph (or block, for short) to another it you could have a random event generate the proper location and go to the new block.

If you want to have a random map with consistency (move from the first block into the 2nd, walk back out of the 2nd block and you are not in a random block but instead in the first one) then you would need to set up a quest variable (possibly more than one) to determine where you go next. And you could have random or set encounters that use the quest variables to determine encounters (the more blocks you are from the entrance, the harder the encounter, as you are deeper in the random dungeon).

Hard to do, would take some planning/recordkeeping and of course testing, but not impossible

ST the impossible :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:43:24 AM by SilentThief »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 03:05:26 AM »
I like ST's approach - another I thought about earlier is doing a big level with fixed entrance and exit, and upon entering, certain combinations of walls and blocks and events are randomly put into the level. It is not as original as ST's approach but should give some replayability factor...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Lokken

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
"sorry for my  English understanding limit"

To make that I was simply imagine something similar to games like (bloodlust shadowhunter)
Where the program generate a proper dungeon (using premade rooms), imagine the standard space 100x100 I'm using that to make single maps. To design a map and to finish that i need days, fast automatic placing of events make the work easy: place the monster spawn, treasures and if you trigger a quest, you will find the premade (boss) (items) ecc.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Nifty idea, but not feasible in FRUA (or in DC at the present time). If you like EOB-style play I recommend trying Dungeon Hack, but as far as I know nobody's done a roguelike goldbox-copy at the present time. (Opportunity for an indie game developer?)

One thing you could do in FRUA is use zone events to, say, set up the climactic battle when the party enters one of several 3x3 rooms for the first time (to avoid situations like those in the optional Curse of the Azure Bonds dungeons where you would walk into a wall, 'fight three dragons' that never appeared, and collect the treasure).

anything