Author Topic: DOSBox - CRT Emulation  (Read 577 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
DOSBox - CRT Emulation
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
For those of you that don't know, there's an option in DOSBox to turn on CRT emulation.  This will add a slight curve to the emulated screen as well as utilize a shader that gives the appearance that you are playing on a real CRT screen.  For those that miss this, it is actually quite awesome. 

It removes some of the sharpness and hard pixels that an LCD screen introduces and brings back the smooth blending of an old tube screen. You'll really feel like you're looking at a CRT screen again.  I'm including some screenshots for a demonstration of this (be sure to click on the screenshots to get a better look at how the screens actually look).

Here is where you can find out more details about this:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about19944.html&highlight=
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:30:11 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: DOSBox - CRT Emulation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:54:00 AM »
While I cannot say I miss the old tube screens, I agree that this is an awesome feature!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
The real issue is that many things looked fine on old CRT screens, as programmers often took advantage of the limitations of the medium to cover up issues with the graphics.  On modern screens, these issues become obvious sometimes.  Sure, the picture is clearer, but sometimes the graphics suffer.

I have noticed this issue with some FRUA modules, for example, where the artwork doesn't look as good as I remember.  That's because the natural smoothing that occurs on a CRT screen helped to hide some of the pixel issues in the low quality graphics.  As mentioned above, these issues become obvious when the blending no longer occurs. 

This shader option brings back the smoothness (and the curve) of the screen.  I have to say that playing the games with the shader on seems...I dunno...right?  It feels right to my eyes, for some reason.  I didn't think it would be a big deal, but once I started playing with it on, I didn't want to turn it off anymore.  So, people should give it a go just to test it out.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »
In case people think I'm just some crazy man raving about the nostalgic good old days, I thought I'd provide some comparisons.  The images provided include some things to take note of, and include my personal opinions.  It's okay if you don't agree with those opinions.

I do this because some users of DOSBox and of FRUA might have never seen the game running on a CRT screen in their lifetimes or people may not remember how nice the blending effects were and how they covered up some of the graphical harshness brought on by the modern LCD screens.  Feel free to take a look at my example pics, or ignore me at your leisure.

Please note, you should click on these images to get the full effect.  The forum's use of auto-size actually makes both examples look similar when they really aren't.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:34:51 PM by ProphetSword »