Author Topic: A few more general questions  (Read 393 times)

Offline Darcnyss

A few more general questions
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
As I go deeper into the intricacies of my design, a few things have popped up which got me thinking a bit. These are just some general questions about DC and implementing my ideas in my module.

First off, is there any form of change log anywhere to read what is changed in every release of the engine? I download the latest versions as soon as I see them, but don't know what has changed between the versions...

Also, is there any in-depth documentation on setting up spell hooks and special abilities on spells. I get the basic idea behind how it is all set up by examining the default spells, but things get a little complicated once I go into some of the custom Darnathian spells.

For instance, the Shadow Mage class gets a very nasty spell at caster level 8 known as 'hungry mist', which covers a 3x3 area for 4 turns + level. Anyone caught within get a -2 roll on all attacks. Each round those within must make a saving throw vs paralysis/poison/death magic, and if the save is made, 1d6 damage is dealt, but if the save fails, the mist drains one CON point.

I'm sure I can figure this out by myself, but some form of documentation or reference material could speed things along.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: A few more general questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
Change log.....no.

Spell Hook documentation......Have you studied:

http://dianneandpaul.net/UAF/Help/SASpecialAbilitiesScripts.html

Manikus may have more user-friendly documentation.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »
Thank you, Paul. That is interestingly enough the one file I didn't have. It's exactly what I need.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
You will find that there are many pages related to the link that Paul gave you.

I know that this isn't exactly what you have asked for, but there is a log of all changes made in the databases, in each database. Well, all cahnges since 1.0 (up until 1.0 there were all the changes from .916 until the last version before 1.0).

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »
Yes, I have been going through those while working on my classes and races at the bottom of the file. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »
Paul has good documentation on all of the parts of special abilities - the Hooks, variables, etc. In most cases teh only examples you will find for SAs are in the database itself, except for the few examples where Paul or I have done something in the forums. You can search for "deo" or "Proof of concept" for the things that I have done.

For a while, I was doing monthly updates in teh forums that listed things that were done to the engine and the editor as well as the databases. I haven't done it recently but Paul and I could probably tell you.

Recent engines have been addressing the Free Attack Combat issue, the transfer module bug and other various issues as mentioned in the forums.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »
Ah, I see. Thank you for that information, Manikus. I'll search around the forums a bit for those.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
For instance, the Shadow Mage class gets a very nasty spell at caster level 8 known as 'hungry mist', which covers a 3x3 area for 4 turns + level. Anyone caught within get a -2 roll on all attacks. Each round those within must make a saving throw vs paralysis/poison/death magic, and if the save is made, 1d6 damage is dealt, but if the save fails, the mist drains one CON point.

First, take a look at the Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill spells - they are similar in teh first part. For the lingering effect, i.e. check each round after first, look in the  specialAbilities.txt towards the very bottom for the "Aura" effects. Then look in the help documentation. Then you'll probably want to ask me. :D

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »
Thanks again, Manikus. My first go at implementing this spell is built off the cloud kill spell. Thanks to you I now know where else to look.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
I have several aura examples in the default databases that aren't actually used by any monsters/races/classes for just this very reason. :D I am also happy to write something up for sharing here in the forums, too.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
That would be very much appreciated, Manikus. I have the initial spell and effects working now, but still have to implement the by-round checks. I put the spell in a test module, made it available as a first level magic user spell for testing purposes, and unleashed it on a group of orcs.... Even in its current form this spell is devastating. Frightening, even...

....especially if one of your own party members gets caught up in it!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:25:32 PM by Darcnyss »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »
Thinking about this, you don't actually need an aura effect (though you can use one).

If you give the targets an SA with the spell that checks at the top of each round to see if it is still supposed to do it's thing, it can then do a saving throw check and apply damage and/or other effects as desired.

So, in the example provided below, the first SA is attached to the spell called "Curse" and it gives the second SA to the target combatant, which checks every round to see if it is still active and does it's thing. When it checks and is no longer active, it removes itself. :)

Code: [Select]
\(BEGIN)
name = spell_CurseMinor
[Dispel] = $SA_REMOVE();
-$RUN_CHAR_SE_SCRIPTS($TargetContext(),"Dispel SE");
[Dispel SE] = $REMOVE_SPELL_EFFECT($CharacterContext(),$GET_HOOK_PARAM(5));
[InvokeSpellOnTarget] = $VAR mySide;
-mySide = $GET_COMBATANT_SA($AttackerContext(),"side");
-$IF (mySide ==# $GET_COMBATANT_SA($TargetContext(),"side")){$RETURN;};
-$SET_CHARACTER_SA($TargetContext(),"IsCursed",$GET_PARTY_TIME() +# 6);
\(END)

\(BEGIN)
name = IsCursed
[CharDisplayStatus] = $IF ($GET_PARTY_TIME() ># $SA_PARAM_GET()){$RETURN $SA_REMOVE();};
-$SET_HOOK_PARAM( 7, "Cursed");
-$SET_HOOK_PARAM( 6, "");
-$RETURN 1;
[DoesAttackSucceed] = $IF ($GET_CHARACTER_SA($AttackerContext(),"IsCursed") != "-?-?-")
-  {$SET_HOOK_PARAM(6,$GET_HOOK_PARAM(6) +# 1);};
-$IF ($GET_HOOK_PARAM(5) >=# $GET_HOOK_PARAM(6)){$RETURN "Y";}
-$ELSE {$RETURN "N";};
\(END)

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
Aha! This will definitely help. I'll play around a bit with the concept and see if I can make it work. Thanks!

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »
It seems I'm starting to get the hang of this now. Thank you for all the help.
Once I am completely comfortable with it, I may put together a descriptive tutorial on making complex spells like these for others. But for now that's just a thought...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
G;ad to hear it. We can always use more tutorials. :D