Author Topic: Grey brick wall set  (Read 307 times)

Offline Darcnyss

Grey brick wall set
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
Here is a grey brick wall set in DC standard format for everyone to use in any which way you wish. It includes a backdrop and combat wall set. The difference between the inner and outer sets is that the walls further away fade into a darker grey.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Grey brick wall set
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »
Very cool. Those are some nice looking walls. And it is going to be extra useful since you included a backdrop and combat wall.

Have you thought about using the hyper wall format? It's not necessary, but it will allow you a lot more freedom, including additional stories. overhangs, underhangs, things-that-stick-out, etc. Examples are in the download.

This post is a good example - plus in Dinonykos' templates you can match up the wall frames. :D
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1561.msg25599#msg25599

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:45:56 PM »
Thank you!
This was some of my earliest DC 3D to 2D work before discovering the hyper wall format. Now it's almost all I use in my Greymist Keep module. It's absolutely wonderful to play around with.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:06 PM »
Ok, good. :) I just wanted to make sure you knew about the hyper walls. Dinonykos has done some amazing things with them.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »
Dinonykos has done some amazing things with them.
Oh, fully agreed! Some of his hyperwall things are extremely impressive.
They open up some major new creative possibilities.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:06:11 PM by Darcnyss »

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »
Oh, and Manikus, I wish I had found your poser cameras for wall rendering sooner! So much easier to use than the manual tweaks I've had to do up until now. Many thanks!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »
Oh, and Manikus, I wish I had found your poser cameras for wall rendering sooner! So much easier to use than the manual tweaks I've had to do up until now. Many thanks!

Glad they're of use. I mostly use the  DAZ ones, but I have a project on my list of things to do that will make use of Poser lighting.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
Still trying to get the hang of DAZ myself. I've been using Poser since version 2 at work, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. But after seeing some things done in DAZ, I downloaded it and started doing some of the in-program tutorials, but that's about as far as I got.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
It used to be that Poser was for the professionals and high-end hobbyists and Studio was for the folks who couldn't afford Poser. :) But studio has come a long way, especially with Iray. It still can't do dynamic clothing. It's much easier to navigate than Poser and does most things faster. With that being said, I use a 3rd party tool to navigate around Poser so it's all about the same. I've spent hundreds of hours (maybe even thousands) in both programs, and I don't think I'm going to buy another version of Poser (Poser 10 is the most recent I have).
Honestly, if the Poser figures would have gotten the same support from Smith Micro/Content Paradise/Electronic Fronties that DAZ gives to their figures, it would be a vastly different conversation.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
Oh, I can definitely believe that. DAZ will just need some getting used to. It was the same for me moving from Maya to Max. It took me quite some time to get to grips how different, yet similar these two programs are. I almost exclusively use Max now. And, I believe, if I put some more time into it, it will be the same with DAZ. From what I have seen done in the DAZ showcases, I am hopeful that I can eventually bring my own character designs to life, since Poser is limiting me to endless frustration in that department. It just seems to me that with every Poser update they just rehash the same thing, change the UI a bit and add a new generation of characters....it just seems to me that Smith Micro hasn't really taken it further than what E-Frontier were doing when they acquired Poser.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:03:42 PM by Darcnyss »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »
That pretty much describes Poser. :) If SM put any effort into competing with DAZ, Poser might actually be something to look forward to.
There are quite a few decent tutorials on Youtube, both official and unofficial, that are very good. The only thing that I haven't really figured out how to do is to create rigging from scratch - adding bones in particular. However, using a donor rig and then adjusting is quite easy - easier than in Poser.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »
I will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 01:44:55 PM »
I am really impressed (again)!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
Thank you very much again, Dinonykos!

anything