Author Topic: Calling all artists! Icon requests  (Read 2303 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Calling all artists! Icon requests
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
This looks very nice. I think that anyone trying to argue that it is the wrong size will have an uphill battle since you based it on the actual skeleton. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
My Plesiosaurus is smaller than 4 meters - I think it is bigger in the old AD&D books, but the "real" Plesiosaurus was rather 3 meters long. There are some related taxa which became bigger, though.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »
Another very nice icon. ;D

I don't think I realixed how small plesiosaurus were - in my minds eye they were essentially aquatic brontosaurus.

In the time that you have done four great icons, I have only done one and a half...and the one is just a recolor.

Thanks for these icons, Dinonykos.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »
Elasmosaurus, the one whom Uatu already did, could get over 11 m long, and is a descendant of the Jurassic Plesiosaurs, thus, not all of them were as small as the one I did...

Ichthyosaurs became generally bigger than Plesiosaurs and Pliosaurs - Temnodontosaurus, for example, could get 12 m long - so now here you have a bigger icon... :) I made it very dark because there is some prove that at least one Ichthyosaurus species had dark skin...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:01:26 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Another fantastic icon. :)

All of the pictures I had googled for the Temnodontosaurus portrayed it with dark skin.

I met to mention earlier, but are you aware that all of these icons are facing the wrong way? The left hand pane is the ready and the right the attack - which you have followed, but DC thinks that they are all going to be facing to the right. It takes me about 10 seconds to fix this, and ai am going to say that is why I forgot to mention it.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
Well, I actually realized it when checking how big Uatu made his Elasmosaurus... :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 02:51:38 AM »
Also I would like to mention, that with some very slight alterations, this is pretty much how I envision the dragon turtle (referring to your latest icon). :)

::)

I did some more research yesterday evening and came to the conclusion that Archelon is quite different from a dragon turtle - actually, I think some of the species you have in the southeastern USA come much closer (even if not in size).
Well, I hope my approach is acceptable... :) I wondered myself if this specimen could pull its head inside the armor with these long horns - so they should perhaps be removed. On the other hand, if the head itself has a strong skull, it would probably be enough to retreat the neck. Particularly considering that a turtle with so many dragon-like abilities would probably not just retreat into its armor and wait...  ;)

I hope that Uatu has not yet done all these animals earlier and just did not find the time to put them on his homepage - I guess his "reconstructions" would feature many more details.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:56:02 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »
This icon looks great. :D The pictures i had seen of dragon turtles showed fins instead of feet, but I can live with this.

As to having this based on real life critters, I think when they made this creature up, they said, "Let's take a giant sea turtle and put a dragon's head on it and give it some dragon abilities." Likely this was right before they all got the munchies. ;)

This is not meant as a criticism, but this icon looks like the most awesome pokemon ever.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
I admit that the proportions make it look quite juvenile. It looks cuter than it should...

Concerning the feet, they should probably be somewhat between turtle flippers, dragon feet and tortoise feet. Maybe those of the icon go too much in the tortoise direction. Maybe we could call it "Dragon Tortoise" or "Dragon Land Turtle"? :) Or perhaps "Ryokame"? "Testuchu"? Not sure if there is a logic system for Pokemon names...  ::)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
I think the pokemon-ish look is paqrtly do to the color scheme, which reminds me an awful lot of one of the aquatic/water pokemon - squirtle, wortortle and blastoise. It's the blue... http://jossie088.deviantart.com/art/Squirtle-Wartortle-Blastoise-342704529
I think the logic to the naming system is to think of a pun and then another one and another one. ;)

I am still going to call it a dragon turtle. ;D Perhaps it has partially morphed itself for some reason that humans cannot understand.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »
Awesome icons!  I especially like the Dinichthys and the Temnodontosaurus!  (And yeah, the Monster Manuals seem to have several typos regarding prehistoric animal names!)

I did not complete any of these icons, either, so no worries!  (I did start an archelon once, but I never got past the "sketch 1st frame" stage.)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
(And yeah, the Monster Manuals seem to have several typos regarding prehistoric animal names!)

This need not necessarily be a mistake of the manuals - a lot of names changed during the past 30 years...

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 04:30:09 AM »
That is true to some extent, too, I think!  But I think even the Monster Manuals were in time to supplant brontosaurus with apatosaurus, though...  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »
Hah! Erwischt!
Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus are different taxa according to Tschopp et al. (2015)... :)
So, the Manuals could have been 75 years behind or almost 40 years ahead of their time...  8)

However, I do not think you have to do a Brontosaurus icon yet - I am not sure if the division is going to last, and the icon would probably look like your Apatosaurus anyway... :)

I am quite interested in doing the water spider. I read to my surprise that in D&D, there are marine versions which have 20 ft leg span diameter and 10 ft body diameter. Not sure how such a creature is supposed to work, particularly concerning the breathing method, but it sounds funny!

What I wondered is if the real sea spiders (pycnogonids) mentioned in the monster manuals... If not, the marine giant spider could perhaps be depicted as something ancestor-like (kind of mix of pycnogonids and araneaeids).

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
I would love to see a Water Spider. ;) I don't believe the manuals have entries for real marine spiders. 1st edition has a lot of monsters where they took the name of a real thing, eg. sea lion, and made up something fantastic - in this case a fish with a lion's head and forepaws.

If i can get all of my ducks in a row today, I will start a thread for the needed dinosaur icons to finish that project. :D Just in case you're interested in helping out with that one too.

anything