Author Topic: Old School Computer Game Update 8: New Quests & General Improvements  (Read 501 times)

Offline Outlander78

Hi folks.

I have updated Old School Computer Game (link in my signature). Your existing saved games will not work with this new release - before you download and play this version, please load up any games with characters you want to keep and export them to disk in the manage party view.

My thanks to the people at ua.reonis.com for the suggestions and bug-finding they contributed to this release.

I have added some public domain images of my favourite classic paintings to the game - predominantly the work of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven.  If you view (walk onto) paintings in the game, you will see them.  There are 46 paintings in all, randomly selected for each new game.  One of the new hand-crafted quests, The Cult Of Reason, features a gallery of sorts in its lower levels.

New Hand-Crafted Quest:  The Cult Of Reason (Level Four Quest, features a ten-level pyramid to explore)

New Hand-Crafted Quest:  The Riven Palace (Level Two Quest)

New Monsters:  Boxer, Prize Fighter, Shadow Elf, Snake Man, Water Weird, Witch

Repetitive Task Improvements:
 - when a character needs ammunition (arrows, bolts or bullets) and finds some in post-combat loot, they pick it up automatically; 'requiring ammunition' is defined as having a missile weapon and less than 200 shots for it
 - when a stackable item (e.g. coins or arrows) is given to a PC who already has some of that item type, the items are automatically stacked
 - when transferring scrolls between party members, you have the option to transfer all scrolls at once (I do this frequently when passing scrolls between magic-users)

UI Improvements: (added by request - please keep the suggestions coming)
 - when a character has an item readied, if you try to sell it or put it in a container you will be asked an 'are you sure?' question
 - when a computer-controlled character moves in combat, a green line is drawn to show there start and finish locations; they no longer appear to 'teleport' when moving (the line does not show the steps they took, just where the moved from and to - I will improve this further in a later release)
 - 'view character' panel now highlights items that are equipped, and 'r' toggles if an item is equipped (prior to this, 'r' equipped but did not unequip an item)

Balance Tweaks
 - corrected saving throw starting points and progressions to more accurately replicate Dark Dungeons (once a human's saving throws reach 5, they improves from there by 1s instead of 2s)
 - slowed additional spells per level from 1 every 2 levels to 1 every 2.5 levels, again to more accurately replicate Dark Dungeons (also eliminates the rare situation where a spell caster gains a new level without gaining any new spell slots)

Bugs Fixed:
 - code to add cleric and/or wizard rooms to towers has two less potential 'null pointer' exceptions
 - Gnomes can only wear leather armour; I based the class on a magic-user/thief, but then let them wear all kinds of armour - my apologies!
 - results of a combat action are now more consistently displayed on the screen (view is centred on the result, not the next character to act)
 - spell limits were being ignored (e.g. bards could get up to nine 9th level spells, when the limit is really four 6th level spells)
 - the Ruined Monastery quest no longer has an unavoidable, impossibly hard fight buried in its dungeon (the encounter is still there, it just isn't unavoidable anymore)
 - when AI-controlled combatants do not see a target, they move towards the sound of battle to try and find one (as opposed to standing around waiting for you to engage)

If you find any problems with the game, or want to propose improvements, please post them here.

Thank you for playing!
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Draugr

Re: Old School Computer Game Update 8: New Quests & General Improvements
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:40:45 AM »
Just stumbled upon this post. Will be picking this up in a few minutes. :)

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 06:14:40 AM »
Thank you.  I hope you enjoy e game.  Please post back hear if you have questions or suggestions.

Offline Draugr

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »
I've played for a bit. None of my heroes have gone up any levels yet so I haven't played for too long but I like what I see. It definitely has that old school AD&D 1st or 2nd edition feel. I'm not sure if there are a few bugs I'm seeing or if its a gameplay effect. Let me know if you rather I post bugs here, private message you or email you. Which ever method you prefer I'm fine with. I'll probably be playing this game quite a bit as I love that old school look and feel of this game.

John

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »
Please post here.  Thanks.

The game is geared to level the party approximately every five quests.  That is not a hard rule, just a guideline I had.  If you tough through quests a level or two above your party, the rate increases rapidly.

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »
I will post more here when I get back to my computer.