Author Topic: Pool of Radiance Resources  (Read 3115 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Pool of Radiance Resources
« on: June 13, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »
Here are all of my Pool of Radiance resources, for any who want them to use them.

The graphics are here:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3129.0

Actually I do have more resources, designs that use the stuff attached here, but they are too big to attach. I will post links as soon as I find someplace to post them.

edited to add these links to resources:
http://manikus.reonis.com/files/GB_PoR.dsn.7z
http://manikus.reonis.com/files/Pool_of_Radiance_DESIGN.7z
http://manikus.reonis.com/files/Pool_to_Pools_design.7z
http://manikus.reonis.com/files/PoR_WIP2.dsn.7z
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:01:44 PM by manikus »

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Pool of Radiance Resources
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:16:44 AM »
Wow, now this will be interesting. I have started to download graphics from GB games for DC, and it seems they are really nice. I will have to see how this all looks like and I am hoping that I will eventualy make it work :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:44:07 AM »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator

Offline marainein

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:10:34 AM »
For those of us foolhardy enough to want to press on with the conversion...is this the latest version?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »
For those of us foolhardy enough to want to press on with the conversion...is this the latest version?

I believe it to be. :) And I will still help out if needed, just had to let this one go.

Offline marainein

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 11:45:02 PM »

I believe it to be. :) And I will still help out if needed, just had to let this one go.
Excellent - now onto some not so excellent issues - I was editing this in DC (in particular, the slums level), and while the events were appearing in the right spots on the map, everytime I'd try and add the details of the event, they'd all vanish. Not sure if this is a DC issue, an issue with the scenario, or an issue with me.

Do you remember how you generated the maps? Did you import them to DC from the FRUA conversion of Pool of Radiance?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »

Excellent - now onto some not so excellent issues - I was editing this in DC (in particular, the slums level), and while the events were appearing in the right spots on the map, everytime I'd try and add the details of the event, they'd all vanish. Not sure if this is a DC issue, an issue with the scenario, or an issue with me.

Do you remember how you generated the maps? Did you import them to DC from the FRUA conversion of Pool of Radiance?

I used Ishad Nha's spreadsheet. I don't know how it works that the events show up in the right spot, but aren't really there.  I believe he is still on the boards, maybe he can shed some more light on this, or even has figured out a way to improve this issue. :D

Offline marainein

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »

I used Ishad Nha's spreadsheet. I don't know how it works that the events show up in the right spot, but aren't really there.  I believe he is still on the boards, maybe he can shed some more light on this, or even has figured out a way to improve this issue. :D
Did you actually make the levels in some automated way, or by hand? Do Ishad's spreadsheets have a function to export to DC level format?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
If only thy were automated.

The first thing I did was to correct some cells, not because they were wrong, but because I use OpenOffice.
Second, pasting of level from hed editor to text editor, so I could make the lines the right length (number of characters) I have since found, but not tried hex editors that will allow you to control the length of the line.
Third, paste from text editor to spread sheet.
Fourth, run the function.
Fifth, copy from spreadsheet to text editor (to attach header DC expects for its levels).
Sixth, save as level.

Offline marainein

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 04:15:31 AM »

The first thing I did was to correct some cells, not because they were wrong, but because I use OpenOffice.
Second, pasting of level from hed editor to text editor, so I could make the lines the right length (number of characters) I have since found, but not tried hex editors that will allow you to control the length of the line.
Fifth, copy from spreadsheet to text editor (to attach header DC expects for its levels).
Sixth, save as level.
That sounds damn heroic! We'll get this to work somehow - are there any known event editting bugs in the latest version of the DC editor (I'm using 2.53)?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »

Sixth, save as level.
That sounds damn heroic! We'll get this to work somehow - are there any known event editting bugs in the latest version of the DC editor (I'm using 2.53)?

None that I am aware of. If there are, I would hope someone would let Paul and I know. :D
I strongly recommend using GoldBox Explorer on your copy of the original PoR, it will make life much easier (but you already knew that).

Offline marainein

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »

Sixth, save as level.

None that I am aware of. If there are, I would hope someone would let Paul and I know. :D
I'll upload some screencaps giving a frame by frame illustration of my problem.

I strongly recommend using GoldBox Explorer on your copy of the original PoR, it will make life much easier (but you already knew that).
Absolutely, and the ability to export gold box game levels to UA, DC, and any other game systems (anyone reading this, feel free to suggest games) I could think of has always been one of my goals for Gold Box Explorer - it just hasn't happened yet...
But anyway, you've done a lot of the heavy lifting on the Pools to Pools conversion, and we should build on that.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »
Ah, yes. this event issue (which we were just talking about, duh.) :D :D :D

This isn't an editor issue, it's an issue with the way the levels are made. Ishad Nha knows the exact reason I believe, and if I recall correctly, it is because the only data provided by the level file is that an event should be there, but not the event. I think it is one of those things where the header of the file has the events listed, and the pointers go to nothing.

anything