Author Topic: Basic functioning questions  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Winspector

Basic functioning questions
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »
Hi.

I am developing an adventure with this engine, but there are some things that I cannot make to work.

First, when I change resolution from 640x480 to 1024x768, textures are not shown correctly. I can imagine that is a problem that the game engine does not automatically scales the textures, so I suppose I need to scale them mannually. So, the question is, what texture size should I use?

Secondly, I would like to change the game icon for the finished game. Is it any possible?

Third, is it possible to move/resize the 3D viewport of the game, without changing the overall game resolution?

Next, I saw some screenshots showing rooms with tables, chairs and other decoration. Also, one of these images was shown wooden signs with letters. Are them really objects/decorations or it is a transparent texture with just these decorations?

Finally, in "Global Settings" dialog there is an option that says "Autodarken Viewport", and under it, a value. No matter which value do I set in there, the 3D view never gets darkened over distance. I want textures to fade to black like other dungeon crawlers do. Does this option requires something else? Am I doing sometihng wrong?

That is all.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Basic functioning questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »
Secondly, I would like to change the game icon for the finished game. Is it any possible?
Do you mean the screen when the game ends? This is the file "credits.png" - you can exchange it with another image with the same name.

Third, is it possible to move/resize the 3D viewport of the game, without changing the overall game resolution?
Manikus has done different viewport sizes. It can be done via the config.txt file - but it is really a lot of effort.

Next, I saw some screenshots showing rooms with tables, chairs and other decoration. Also, one of these images was shown wooden signs with letters. Are them really objects/decorations or it is a transparent texture with just these decorations?
It depends what you mean by "really objects". You can create overlays which can be placed in front of walls. These overlays work the same way as walls. 

Finally, in "Global Settings" dialog there is an option that says "Autodarken Viewport", and under it, a value. No matter which value do I set in there, the 3D view never gets darkened over distance. I want textures to fade to black like other dungeon crawlers do. Does this voption requires something else? Am I doing sometihng wrong?
The idea of this option is that the viewport is darker at night (normally set to 18 to 6 o' clock). You should see the change when the clock switches to 18:00 or to 6:00.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
Answer to the first question: You need to copy paste 1024x768 DC graphic files over your old 640x480 graphic files. Those are backdrops and walls, doors ect which size needs to be changed manualy. Unfortunately for now DC doesn't have same default files in different resolutions so You will need to do it manualy, resize them using wallgen tool.

I have started to work on this and made something but there is just really basic walls and backdrops available for all resolutions that can be used. So You can make a mod with them and then switch to higher resolution and just copy paste higher resolution files (else You will have to do resize of your files by yourself).   

Here they go, I have packed them all in one file but I am hoping to make separate file for each resolution http://www.reonis.com/gulan/dungeon-craft-artsets.html

2nd question, yes it is possible.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:40:15 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
Welcome, Winspector. I'll see if I can address your second question. Do you mean you want to change the Windows icon? If so, what I would do is this.

First, create a batch file that will run the Dungeoncraft executable. (Just create a new txt file, containing the text "DungeonCraft.exe". Then change the file name to ".bat" instead of ".txt".) It should be in the same folder as the Dungeoncraft.exe executable file. Test it to see if it works.

Secondly, run the batch file through a "bat to exe" converter program which allows you to choose an icon for the new file. I used this one with some success: www.f2ko.de/en/b2e.php.

Offline Winspector

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »
Do you mean the screen when the game ends? This is the file "credits.png" - you can exchange it with another image with the same name.

I mean the icon of the .exe file.

Manikus has done different viewport sizes. It can be done via the config.txt file - but it is really a lot of effort.

Why not implement a simple variable in the engine where we can configure at least the x/y offset of the 3D view?

It depends what you mean by "really objects". You can create overlays which can be placed in front of walls. These overlays work the same way as walls.

By "real objects" I want to mean "sprites" that lie in a map cell, like when you create a map of any RPG game or any game in general, you can place objects like trees or whatever around.
But anyway, I already did some kind of workaround by creating a wall that is just a tree.

Finally, in "Global Settings" dialog there is an option that says "Autodarken Viewport", and under it, a value. No matter which value do I set in there, the 3D view never gets darkened over distance. I want textures to fade to black like other dungeon crawlers do. Does this voption requires something else? Am I doing sometihng wrong?
The idea of this option is that the viewport is darker at night (normally set to 18 to 6 o' clock). You should see the change when the clock switches to 18:00 or to 6:00.

Ok. Thanks for the info. It could be a good idea to change "Autodarken viewport" by "Darken at Night hours" or something alike.

Answer to the first question: You need to copy paste 1024x768 DC graphic files over your old 640x480 graphic files. Those are backdrops and walls, doors ect which size needs to be changed manualy. Unfortunately for now DC doesn't have same default files in different resolutions so You will need to do it manualy, resize them using wallgen tool.

I have started to work on this and made something but there is just really basic walls and backdrops available for all resolutions that can be used. So You can make a mod with them and then switch to higher resolution and just copy paste higher resolution files (else You will have to do resize of your files by yourself).   

Here they go, I have packed them all in one file but I am hoping to make separate file for each resolution http://www.reonis.com/gulan/dungeon-craft-artsets.html

2nd question, yes it is possible.

Thank you.

BTW, in your webpage, the link to download the assets file is wrong. You wrote the link like this: "http://www.reonis.com/gulan/www.reonis.com/gulan/DCF/Artsets.rar" instead of just "www.reonis.com/gulan/DCF/Artsets.rar".

Also, in your rar, what is the real difference between "Artset1024.rar" and "Artset1024s.rar". I mean, I can see that the first one has the textures and below the textures, the "Made by xxxxxx", whereas the second one does not have the "Made by ....". Is that the only difference or there is something else?

Welcome, Winspector. I'll see if I can address your second question. Do you mean you want to change the Windows icon? If so, what I would do is this.

First, create a batch file that will run the Dungeoncraft executable. (Just create a new txt file, containing the text "DungeonCraft.exe". Then change the file name to ".bat" instead of ".txt".) It should be in the same folder as the Dungeoncraft.exe executable file. Test it to see if it works.

Secondly, run the batch file through a "bat to exe" converter program which allows you to choose an icon for the new file. I used this one with some success: www.f2ko.de/en/b2e.php.

The problem with that is that I will end up with two executables: the original .exe and another executable that launches the original .exe, but I only want a single .exe
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:43:17 PM by Winspector »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:42:33 PM »

Why not implement a simple variable in the engine where we can configure at least the x/y offset of the 3D view?
You can quite easily change the offset via the config.txt. In that file, you can find these lines:
Code: [Select]
HORZ_BAR_TOP = 0,0
HORZ_BAR_MIDDLE = 0,308
HORZ_BAR_BOTTOM = 0,444
VERT_BAR_LEFT = 0,0
VERT_BAR_MIDDLE = 255,0
VERT_BAR_RIGHT = 625,0
VIEWPORT_FRAME = 0,0
VIEWPORT_FRAME_SRC = 0,0,640,309
VIEWPORT_FRAME_OFFSET = 370,0 //in character view
VIEWPORT_RECT = 48,54,224,265
VERT_BAR_LONG = 0,0,15,458
VERT_BAR_SHORT = 15,0,30,322
HORZ_BAR_LONG = 0,0,640,14
HORZ_BAR_LONG_2 = 0,14,640,28
HORZ_BAR_LONG_3 = 0,28,640,42

With the lines concerning VIEWPORT, you can shift it.
What I meant by effort is calculating the coordinates for your walls in case you want to do a completely new kind of viewport (e.g., a 16:9 viewport or whatever).

Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
Main difference between 1024 and 1024s (square) resolution is that 1024s is a bit bigger, but it is not official one and not supported very good but for me most interesting because pictures are really large and beautiful. You need config.txt made by Manikus to make it work. Thanks for link I will fix it soon. Here is my mod for 1024 square resolution and there is config.txt there and also you can search for it on the forum http://www.reonis.com/gulan/dungeon-craft-modules.html note that config.txt is a bit older and probably will have problem running on the newer version of DC. Just for illustration here is how it looks 1024 and 1024s picture, that is the difference of main picture view.

Offline Winspector

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 02:53:21 AM »
You can quite easily change the offset via the config.txt. In that file, you can find these lines:
Code: [Select]
HORZ_BAR_TOP = 0,0
HORZ_BAR_MIDDLE = 0,308
HORZ_BAR_BOTTOM = 0,444
VERT_BAR_LEFT = 0,0
VERT_BAR_MIDDLE = 255,0
VERT_BAR_RIGHT = 625,0
VIEWPORT_FRAME = 0,0
VIEWPORT_FRAME_SRC = 0,0,640,309
VIEWPORT_FRAME_OFFSET = 370,0 //in character view
VIEWPORT_RECT = 48,54,224,265
VERT_BAR_LONG = 0,0,15,458
VERT_BAR_SHORT = 15,0,30,322
HORZ_BAR_LONG = 0,0,640,14
HORZ_BAR_LONG_2 = 0,14,640,28
HORZ_BAR_LONG_3 = 0,28,640,42

With the lines concerning VIEWPORT, you can shift it.
What I meant by effort is calculating the coordinates for your walls in case you want to do a completely new kind of viewport (e.g., a 16:9 viewport or whatever).

Thank you.
I already toyed a little bit with it and yes, it seems quite a bit of work.

Main difference between 1024 and 1024s (square) resolution is that 1024s is a bit bigger, but it is not official one and not supported very good but for me most interesting because pictures are really large and beautiful. You need config.txt made by Manikus to make it work. Thanks for link I will fix it soon. Here is my mod for 1024 square resolution and there is config.txt there and also you can search for it on the forum http://www.reonis.com/gulan/dungeon-craft-modules.html note that config.txt is a bit older and probably will have problem running on the newer version of DC. Just for illustration here is how it looks 1024 and 1024s picture, that is the difference of main picture view.

So "s" from square... I will stick to normal 1024, maybe for future versions of the engine the config.cfg changes or something and your "squared pictures" mod becomes even less supported!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 04:09:51 AM »
That is a good choice, I think the same. I am hoping that 1024 square might be supported but as I don't know much about it all yet 1024 seems like one that will be more real to play with :). I hope Manikus might help in the future or eventualy that I will get better with DC and config.txt parameters :) but right now I am more focused on creating art then even mod making, but I eventualy hope that everything might fall into its place.

anything