Author Topic: HERO CRAFT HUB (Super Hero Base for Dungeon Craft)  (Read 1646 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: HERO CRAFT HUB (Super Hero Base for Dungeon Craft)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »
Has anyone here ever played "Heroes Unlimited" by Palladium Books?  IMO it's a really good base for a super-hero game [because it is one; they have done a lot of the work already ;) ]. It covers generating many of the staple archetypes, and conforms superpowers to an RPG combat rule system that allows for even 'Invulnerable' PCs (Like Superman and the Hulk; although technically, I don't think you can make Superman or the Hulk with the rule system; just like you couldn't ~actually make the Ninja Turtles in their [rather excellent] TMNT RPG).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_Unlimited
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15534.phtml

I remember that the Palladium books created many different themed takes on RPGs, and if I remember correctly they were ALL compatible with eachother. You mentioned the Heroes Unlimited, and TMNT, but the characters from them could be transported to a fantasy realm with no change (iirc) to play in thier fantasy game system.

It was impressive... what I saw about it

ST the impressed

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
Has anyone here ever played "Heroes Unlimited" by Palladium Books?  IMO it's a really good base for a super-hero game [because it is one; they have done a lot of the work already ;) ]. It covers generating many of the staple archetypes, and conforms superpowers to an RPG combat rule system that allows for even 'Invulnerable' PCs (Like Superman and the Hulk; although technically, I don't think you can make Superman or the Hulk with the rule system; just like you couldn't ~actually make the Ninja Turtles in their [rather excellent] TMNT RPG).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_Unlimited
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15534.phtml

I remember that the Palladium books created many different themed takes on RPGs, and if I remember correctly they were ALL compatible with eachother. You mentioned the Heroes Unlimited, and TMNT, but the characters from them could be transported to a fantasy realm with no change (iirc) to play in thier fantasy game system.

It was impressive... what I saw about it

ST the impressed

Are you remembering GURPS? I don't recall being able to use any of the Palladiumm books with any of the other ones.... But, maybe that means that I wasn't trying hard enough. ;)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
I think that that is what I recall. I thought that the separate systems were GURPS compatible. GURPS being the "generic universal role playing system"

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
I think that that is what I recall. I thought that the separate systems were GURPS compatible. GURPS being the "generic universal role playing system"

ST

GURPS probably did a version of them - they did their version of the White Wolf games and the TSR games. We used GURPS, not because it was the best system (it wasn't), but because we could move from high fantasy to sf to vampire to super heroes with the same rules in all of them.

My only memories that I am sure of are Palladium were a friend who had the TMNT book, and not being able to make it work with some other system (which may or may not have beeen Palladium).

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
They released their fantasy RPG first, and later games were not exactly compatible; but in the years afterwards, they did start to revise them for compatibility. These days they are calling it Megaversetm, and they are for the most part now all compatible.  Originally some characters from various games did not stack up well with others; sometimes because of rule differences.
[Rifts has even HtH attacks that do HUNDREDS in damage, where Fantasy RPG HPs usually number in the tens at most.]

They also released a supplemental book with specific conversion rules for their various settings; including the Fantasy RPG, and Ninja's & Superspies, and TMNT.

As for 'Heroes Unlimited' though, I thought it did a really good job on character creation and power categorization.  Balance is debated by some. You can make an X-man Colossus and an Avenger's Hawkeye... and easily argue that Colossus greatly overpowers Hawkeye.  :-\

I suggested it as a resource/guide for working on a superhero RPG  [as opposed to an action-Sim like 'City of Heroes'].
There are weapons charts for guns and melee, and the damage dealing superpowers are all worked out to be comparable.
It has the concept of major and minor super abilities; these being limits to prevent everyone from making Superman. :)
Generally you get more powers with multiple minors, than with one major, but the majors are significant; Sonic Speed can directly apply to melee combat!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:31:09 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
Ah, Rifts. I was so fascinated with that world, but oculdn't get anyone in my gaming group to go for it. I still ended up buying like four or fivve books.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
40 of the 100 NPCs are now done. :)

I am making items that I need as I go along, but not doing spells or SAs until done with the NPCs There will be a ton of new things to test when I get this part done. :D Then I am back to figuring out the best way to have a "Powers" store for character design.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »
I now have 65 of the 100 NPCs done. Wow! The three heavy hitters so far are Dormammu, The Mandarin and Morgan Le Fay. I haven't gotten to Thanos yet, but I think he might fit in with this group, too.

It's easy to make NPCs when you just add new items and SAs while leaving the scripts to be written later. :D :D :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
After esterday's post, ecided that the next five I did would be he reast of Marvel's big bads. The newe top three, in order, are Thanos, Dormmamu, Morgan Le Fay. (Mandarin and Magneto would round out the top five, but there is a gap between three and four.) Since Thanos is usually the other side of the Universe and Dormmamu is usually on another plane of existence, so I think that Morgan Le Fay could arguably be in the number one slot. :)

Anyhooooo, 70 NPCs done, 30 to go. :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
BPCs are done. Again. :D
That is to say that the 101 NPCs listed in the first post are done.  If no one else sends me anything, then they are done.
This also means that the items are done. Spells still not started, special abilities still not started - but I have copious notes. :D Powers will be given in one of two kinds of ways - as a special ability, or as an item, that when readied will give the PC/NPC special abilities. Of course there are items that use the powers directly.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
I looked through my notes when I was getting ready to start on on item spells and realized that I should probaly handle the archetypes first, in case I needed to make any new items for them. So, all but one of the archetypes are done.

By archetypes, I mean that at character creation, a player will be able to choose from a dozen or so "standard comic books character types", before they are offered the option to make their own from scratch.

Available archtypes will be:
Battlesuit - think Iron Man
Construct - think Vision or Red Tornado
Crime Fighter - think Batman
Energy Controller - think Iceman
Gadgeteer - think Oulman
Martial Artist - think Iron Fist or Shang Chi
Mimic - think, um, Mimic
Mystic - think Dr. Strange or Zatanna
Paragon - think Superman
Powerhouse - think Strong Guy
Psionic - think Jean Grey
Shapeshifter - think Mystique
Speedster - think Kid Flash
Warrior - think Captain America
Weapon Master - think Deathstroke

Online Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
I guess these types are also needed as icons for the player to chose from? I will see that I draw a few, maybe it is possible to make them fit with the icons done by Nol Drek and you...

What about characters based on animals (Spiderman, Scorpion and that kind), are they included in one of the archetypes you mention above?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
Icons for each of these types would be great, but I will take what I can get. Some of them are actually quite close in their mechanics, you just focus in a little bit different area, and I am sure that for role-playing they are quite different.

Animal types....
Wolverine is a Warrior
Sppider-man is a Warrior
Scorpion is somewhere between Warrior and Battlesuit
Rhino is a Powerhouse