Author Topic: UASHELL cannot delete files problem  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Mtdl

UASHELL cannot delete files problem
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

I recently switched to a new laptop since my old one died. I used to be able to run UA without any problems (with UAshell, obviously) on my windows vista machine. I recently felt like playing some UA on my new computer (with Windows 8.1) but I constantly run into the same problem. When I try to run uashell in dosbox, I get the following:
Ckit.exe
1 file(s) copied.
Unable to delete file(s).
UA-Shell installation aborted.

I've tried several things, such as reinstalling, using D-fend, ect., but nothing seems to do the trick. Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious but I haven't seen this problem mentionned elsewhere on the forum. Can someone help with this?
Thanks!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: UASHELL cannot delete files problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
Are you attempting to run UAShell from within Windows itself or are you running it in DOSBox?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
Hm, I'm no tech expert, but to me it sounds like either access to the files is restricted or there is a problem with finding the right path. Where on your harddisk did you install UA and UAShell? Did you install it in the Program Files folder? Do you have administrator rights?

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I am running UAshell with dosbox. I installed my FRUA directory on my C: drive, as I do with all my games (wheter old or recent). I don't think the location of the folder is the problem, since as I've said before, d-fend doesn't work either and it mounts the C: drive at another location than regular dosbox. I do have administrator rights. After reading your post, I tried setting 'dosbox' to be run as administrator and UAshell worked. I tried and played a bit of the Curse of the Azure Bonds port and it worked fine. I quit the game to try starting it up again (and make sure the problem is solved) and I got the same message mentionned earlier. I really don't get it.

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »
Ckit.exe
1 file(s) copied.
Unable to delete file(s).
UA-Shell installation aborted.

Do you have a file named CKIT.TMP in the folder from which you are running UAShell? If so, try deleting that file (it is a temporary file that is not needed once UAShell is finished running).
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:52:34 PM »
No, that file isn't in the folder. I reinstalled the game (and the whole set-up with UAshell) just now and it worked once, then the same message. This time I used a file I believe you made, Nol Drek,  ''ua_start'' with the whole thing set up. I really don't understand why Uashell works once and then stops.

If it can help you guys figure out something, I use the latest dosbox version and I never have any problem with any games.

It's a damn shame, because I really had an urge to replay Curse of the Azure Bonds and wanted to do so with the updated engine.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
Starting with Windows 8, accessing the root directory of drive C requires Administrator access to delete or change files.  In Windows, you will usually be prompted for this, but while running in DOSBox, you may not.  I would suggest either moving the directory to a subdirectory (but not any of the Program Files directories, as they will also require admin access) or to another partition or drive.  See if that solves the issue.

EDIT:
I see now that someone already gave you some similar advice.  I would still try moving it into a subdirectory to see if fixes the issue, just in case.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:54:17 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Are you running UAShell or attempting to install it?  I'm asking due to the error message that says that the installation was aborted.  Are you using the right file to start UAShell?

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
So I tried to mount C: as a different folder (C:\Oldgames). It still doesn't work, though I got a different message this time:
Copying Ckit.exe to Programs\Temp.tmp
Ckit.exe
1 file(s) copied.
Deleting file PROGRAMS\TEMP.BAT
Deleting file PROGRAMS\TEMP.TMP
Deleting file PROGRAMS\TEMP.TMP
Runtime error 002 at 0000:0AFC.
Illegal command: MODE

When I switched to my new computer, I simply copied my whole FRUA folder (on a portable HD) to my new hard drive. Everything was set up and properly installed. I immediately got the message in my first post when I first tried to run UAshell. I tried to reinstall from scratch, carefully following Nol Drek's installation guide, to make sure I did it properly, and I was able to run UAshell properly, but only once. That means it installs properly, I apply a design (in this case GAME40.DSN), run the game, have some fun, then when I try to run UAshell again, I get the error mentionned in my first post. It's as if my computer prevents the moving of files after UAshell is used once or something.

To run UAshell, I simply type uashell in dosbox.

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:37 AM »
There should only be 3 reasons why you get the error "Unable to delete file(s)".

They are:
1) You have the file CKIT.TMP in your folder
2) You have any files *.TXT in the TEMP subfolder
3) You the file UASHINST.EXE in your folder
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »
I don't have the file CKIT.TMP or any .txt files in my folders. I do, however, have UASHINST.EXE in my PROGRAMS subfolder. I tried deleting it and running UAshell afterwards but still I get the same message. I tried running uashinst.exe in dosbox and it reinstalls UAshell.  As I said, it allows me to play, but only once. As soon as I exit the game and try to run UAshell again, the same error message.

It gets really tedious as it basically means I have to reinstall Uashell each time I want to play or simply reload a savefile.

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
I don't have the file CKIT.TMP or any .txt files in my folders. I do, however, have UASHINST.EXE in my PROGRAMS subfolder. I tried deleting it and running UAshell afterwards but still I get the same message. I tried running uashinst.exe in dosbox and it reinstalls UAshell.  As I said, it allows me to play, but only once. As soon as I exit the game and try to run UAshell again, the same error message.

It gets really tedious as it basically means I have to reinstall Uashell each time I want to play or simply reload a savefile.

I don't have an answer to this, but have you tried starting UA without going through UAShell? 

I seldom, if ever, run UA through UAShell anymore. 

I still use UAShell to Apply any new hacked mod I want to play (and I use UAShell to Apply even unhacked games, just to make sure all the default settings have been restored). 

But then I exit UAShell and use DosBox (w/DFend) to actually play UA.  The last Applied mod's hacks will remain active until UAShell is used to Apply another mod.   

I never change mods inside of UA, but always do that through UAShell (because another mod may not use the same hacks), but I always play UA without going through UAShell. 

Thus my question, have you tried playing UA without going through UAShell?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:57:30 PM by hans »

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
So once a design is applied with UAshell, it remains active even if you only select CKIT.exe in dosbox? You don't have to run UAshell everytime? There won't be any trouble with the hacks? Just to be sure I'm doing this right, the file to run is CKIT.exe right?

I suppose it means UAshell modifies the files and these modifications are permanent unless they are restored with Uashell again?

Honestly, this pretty much solves my problem. It's not like I want to change modules every 5 minutes, so I'll simply run UA normally and reinstall UAshell when I want to change designs. And yes, UA works perfectly, it's only UAshell I'm having trouble with.   

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
So once a design is applied with UAshell, it remains active even if you only select CKIT.exe in dosbox? You don't have to run UAshell everytime? There won't be any trouble with the hacks? Just to be sure I'm doing this right, the file to run is CKIT.exe right?

I suppose it means UAshell modifies the files and these modifications are permanent unless they are restored with Uashell again?

Honestly, this pretty much solves my problem. It's not like I want to change modules every 5 minutes, so I'll simply run UA normally and reinstall UAshell when I want to change designs. And yes, UA works perfectly, it's only UAshell I'm having trouble with.

You have it exactly right.  UAShell makes backup copies of all the important files and then copies the hacked files over the original.  So, when you apply a design with UAShell, you are effectively creating an altered version of FRUA that will stay that way until you revert it.  So, it should be fine to run UAShell to apply your design and exit, and then run FRUA as many times as you want with that hack until you're ready to change to a new game.

Just be careful you don't select another game while you're in FRUA.  You might not get the results you intend if you try to play that design.  And, the next time you load UAShell, it might try to apply any hacks that are in that design.  It probably won't cause any permanent damage, though.

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »
Well, thank you everyone for your quick replies. Looks like even though it isn't solved, my problem kind of solved itself. Onwards to Curse of the Azure Bonds!

anything