Author Topic: Newbie Questions 'The Realm'  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Newbie Questions 'The Realm'
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »
I transferred a ring of invisibility from 'Skeletons' to 'Keep at the Borderlands'.
The effect 'insibility(ring)' is displayed, but my magic-user still provokes attacks of opportunity when moving away from enemies. He didn't anything else in that round.

Any ideas?

Try un-equipping and then equipping the Ring.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Sailent

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 01:10:15 AM »
I did unready/ready the ring in Encamp-mode only. I'll try again during combat.

Offline AgetianMaywind

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 01:56:11 AM »
A little question to ensure that I'm doing everything right: I installed FRUA (the one I bought on GOG), installed UAShell into it using the guide, and activated the module B6 Veiled Society from UAShell. Once I launched the game I found out that the graphics looked weird - the font was dark purple (which was unreadable on gray background) and also really un-fantasy-ish (looked more like a very narrow version of Arial font or something like that). Deleting FONT.FON and ALWAYS.TBL helped mitigate these issues (which restored the default font and font color, I presume), but the question still remains: was the game meant to look that way or was it something that I did wrong?... I tried reinstalling again but got the same results.

Here's an example of what I mean.
Thanks in advance for help!

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 02:28:33 AM »
was the game meant to look that way or was it something that I did wrong?

I think it was meant to look that way. Ray is a top notch design author, one of our best, but his choice of fonts, frames and colors for some of the Realm designs have been criticized before. I think since he created so many designs for the Realm, he wanted to vary their looks as much as possible and use any font, frame and mouse icon set available from the community's archives`(hence the sci-fi font, for example). Anyway, you've already found the solution by yourself. If you don't like the looks of a hacked design run via UAShell, you can easily rectify that by deleting the according files from the DSN folder or replacing them with others you prefer. This includes:

FRAME.TLB, MENU.TLB, GEN.TLB for the general look of the UI (frame design and color, look of compass)
ALWAYS.TLB for the mouse pointer icons and the color of the text
GAME.FON for the font
COMSPR.TLB for the effect icons used in combat (e.g. death icon, corpse icon, missile icon, fireball icon etc.)
CBODY.TLB for the table of player character icons to choose from during character creation

Offline AgetianMaywind

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:15 AM »
Ah, thanks for the information and additional tips! :)

- Agetian

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 05:47:41 AM »
Cool, I will have to try it :D

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »
Also, welcome to FRUAdom, Agetian!   :wave:

Offline AgetianMaywind

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
Also, welcome to FRUAdom, Agetian!   :wave:

Thanks! Glad to be playing FRUA again (after a long, long time) and being a part of your community! :)

P.S. The advice regarding those additional files definitely helps deal with some of the unusual color combinations and whatnot, so thanks again for the tip!

- Agetian

Offline Sailent

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
seemingly the ring of invisibilty my human magic-user found in the 'Skeletons' module, doesn't work its magic for him. My other player characters have no such troubles. Works normally for them. Strange, isn't it?

Offline Ray

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »
LOL!!!

Guilty as charged...and Olivier nailed the reason why.  A big part of the project was getting to use as much of the community-created content as possible.  Some of it looked better to my then-20-year-old eye than it does now, after all these years...

Of course, I would never claim to have an artist's eye.  I make sure that whenever my wife asks if she's picked the right color for the walls in this or that room, I just nod and recuse myself...

was the game meant to look that way or was it something that I did wrong?

I think it was meant to look that way. Ray is a top notch design author, one of our best, but his choice of fonts, frames and colors for some of the Realm designs have been criticized before. I think since he created so many designs for the Realm, he wanted to vary their looks as much as possible and use any font, frame and mouse icon set available from the community's archives`(hence the sci-fi font, for example). Anyway, you've already found the solution by yourself. If you don't like the looks of a hacked design run via UAShell, you can easily rectify that by deleting the according files from the DSN folder or replacing them with others you prefer. This includes:

FRAME.TLB, MENU.TLB, GEN.TLB for the general look of the UI (frame design and color, look of compass)
ALWAYS.TLB for the mouse pointer icons and the color of the text
GAME.FON for the font
COMSPR.TLB for the effect icons used in combat (e.g. death icon, corpse icon, missile icon, fireball icon etc.)
CBODY.TLB for the table of player character icons to choose from during character creation

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 06:42:11 AM »
I didn't wanted to open similar thread like this and here is another that is like this one http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3439.0

I decided to post here as I am playing Veiled Society mentioned above, and I am really surprised by quality of it... The music is great and town setting with sprites (that is how i would like to see my mod look like in DC, but it seems I will still have to learn to make things like Ray did)... And I was hoping to play this adventure as suggested on Ray site before going to Keep on the Borderland (I tried playing first newest adventures [Thunder Rift Series] but I still haven't sorted them and saw that Ray doesn't have info about them on site either)...

There seems to be a little bug there. After first day and when night falls, my party gets into the inn. But problem is when they enter the 2nd room the game enters infinity loop and it can't be exited. Here is the screenshot I just can't return to the inn and after resting just can load new game and start from the previous point as I can't exit camp event.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:44:48 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
This is an opportunity to learn about the FRUA Editor and how these games are designed.

Do the follwoing:
Start Uashell
Edit Modules
Open Dungeon 09 - First Night
From the Map menu / select Event Placement
Click on the Event at Location 9,22 (at the south end of the town)
Click on the Camp Event
Click Prev to go to page 1 of the Camp Event
Notice that this event is:
 NOT do only once
 Event Happens If: Night Time
 Chain Control: Always Chain to Guided Tour Event
Click on the Guided Tour Event
Notice that this event:
 Takes one step forward
 Does NOT use a starting location
 Executes the event at destination

Since it is currently night time and you are facing south, when you exit the camp event you will ALWAYS try to take one step forward which causes you to bump into the south wall without moving forward and then execute the Camp Event at the current location 9,22.

This is an infinite loop.

There are at least two ways you could fix this.

1) In the Editor, delete the Guided Tour Event. This is NOT what the designer wants you to do, but it will fix the problem you are currently having (and potentially cause other problems).
2) From the File menu / select Leave the Editor and then Play the Game. Notice that the time is currently around 8-9 PM. Rest for 11-12 hours until it is daytime. The game assumes that you will stay in your room until it is morning / daytime. You can now leave the room and play the game as the designer intended.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
Yes, Thank You very much. I have seen that there it states that I need to rest till 6 am and then I was able to exit the room. I will try to open the editor and see how it works. Right now I got to the more interesting part as adventure is finaly starting and I got into dungeons... Good news is that I have installed speakers for my old lap top and now I have better sound, I was using headphones and often played without them so now it is much better. I also have noticed that compass looks like in Orientall adventures and the frames too, but I still don't know how to change things that much, but I will try to learn.

Sorry for asking, but I just thought that it was a bug in the game :) here is the screenshot that I missed and that is why it happened. It is really important to read everything carefuly.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 10:09:29 PM »
I will try to open the editor and see how it works. Right now I got to the more interesting part as adventure is finaly starting and I got into dungeons...

Another missed educational opportunity... *sigh*

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
Another missed educational opportunity... *sigh*

You can only teach those who wish to learn...
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/