Author Topic: A few updated links and ideas  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Randomdays

Re: A few updated links and ideas
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 05:05:11 AM »
While I'm still grinding through BT2 picking up an occasional new pic, I also started doing a little work on the combat icons from Dominions 3. The base game uses png while the user artwork I've looked at comes in various different formats.

Each character, like FRUA, has two poses with a base of 64 pixels for human size and wide, tall and large versions. Cutting them down to 24 pixels makes a lot of them too blurry for FRUA, but some of them still look good. They would probably be great for DC

I've done 8 so far - below are 4 of them - a giant ant, a sundew, an elephant and a gelatinous cube that needs a little touch up. The sundew is human sized, the ant is wide, and the cube and elephant are large.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:08:11 AM by Randomdays »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
Very interesting, if we could get some icons for DC it would be great.

Offline Randomdays

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
Not anything I would work on for awhile, but since it looks like DC is a lot easier to work with, all you would have to do is flip the direction form left to right and reduce the size down, and they'd be ready to use. The link a bit above has a zip to all 2000+ creatures from the game ready to browse thru, as well as the links to the user mods.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:24:05 PM by Randomdays »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 03:42:32 AM »
Edit - fixed the links

Awesomeness.

One of the things that came up when I was browsing for art was a game series called Dominions, now up to #4. It looks like a strategy game with hundreds, if not thousands of units, each with what looks like 2 frames of animations, tons of mods for it and looking like it would be perfect for combat icons.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dwarf-nation-mod

If this is it then I will have to check it definitely :)
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1494

Doing an image search on Yahoo or Google brings up plenty of other pics.

It looks like there's a demo for #3 out, but screen caps alone look like they would be useful.

Definitely something to look into.

I am hoping this are the links, definetly will have to check them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:52:52 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Randomdays

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 06:37:51 AM »
I went through 30 combat icons I selected from Dominions 3 and converted them to FRUA. Of the 30, 9 didn't work out, becoming too blurry to use.

The other 21 turned out from pretty good to barely usable, including the 4 shown above. I've posted them and they should show up soon. The file name is dmn_cmbt.rar

Checking out some of the  other links/ games above, some of the Civ 2 units should work but a second frame would have to be done as they only have one. For the HOMM games, even the small overworld units didn't work, nor the one for the Genesis version of King's Bounty, though all would probably be great for DC.

I'm going to check out the user mods for Dominions some more, but I think most everything else would best be used as small pics or sprites, or DC artwork.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 07:13:44 AM »
What program are you using to resize the images?  I find that if they come out blurry, changing tools can help a lot, and some programs are better at resizing than others.

As a recent example, I had to increase the size of a combat icon to make it three times bigger for something I was working on.  One would think PhotoShop would do a good job at this, but it made the icon blurry and unusable (no doubt trying to be helpful by eliminating the large pixels).  Microsoft Paint, on the other hand, did exactly what I expected and made the icon look exactly as it looked before, only bigger.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Randomdays

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
I'm using both PSP 5 and MS Paint.

Example below - skeletal pirate from Dominions 4. Original size in 1st pic is 32x35. Reduced to 24 height in the 2nd pic with Paint and with PSP in 3rd pic.

Offline Randomdays

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
Fiery Dragon has a lot of counters for RPGs out there. There's a huge set of them - over 500 megs of jpegs (not pdfs) at RPG Now - http://www.rpgnow.com/product/59450/Counter-Collection-Digital-v30

Some of these fit very well with FRUA and are of creatures that aren't that common. Some pics attached below of a few of them. A roper, vrock,  coutl and stone giant

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 02:06:52 AM »
They look good, and 3400 pictures is a lot.