Author Topic: smallpic text stair even bug? [Solved]  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Jaesun

smallpic text stair even bug? [Solved]
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:35:11 AM »
I think I may have stumbled upon an irritating FRUA bug, when using stair events and custom small pics.

At the intro to my module, the player is given many multiple choices for a request. Many of those lead to more questions, and then to the same exact series of events. Instead of typing out the same exact sequence of events multiple times (and wasting tons of text and events), I just created that series of events in a separate area on the map, and will just use the stair event to send the player there, and then execute the event there.

This works just fine, however IF you use a custom small pic in a text event, directly after the stair event, the image WILL NOT SHOW. If however I use any of the default FRUA images for that text event, those will show just fine.

*rips hair*

Is this possibly a known bug? Or could I be doing something wrong?

I'm about to just give up, and just make a damn custom background picture, that has the small pic I want to use. That seems to be the only way to work around this.

Anyone have any thoughts? The image I am using is P-MAN015.pcx from http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/art/v/vixriva2.zip

I am adding the custom image using toolbox while in uashell. I even tried a fresh install of FRUA, without even using uashell, and just importing the picture directly with FRUA, and the same exact problem happens.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:21:47 PM by Jaesun »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: smallpic text stair even bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Can you post an example module that we can reference?  I can't seem to replicate this issue at the moment, though I know from experience that the "Stairs" event can sometimes cause a lot of headaches.

One possible fix is to use the "Transfer Module" event instead of the "Stairs" event.  I think all the functionality that you have in "Stairs" is available in "Transfer Module" anyway.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
One small catch to be aware of: Transfer Module will end test mode.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Attached is a module showing this bug. I used a stair and a module transfer event in this mod example. No (custom) image in a text event will show after the stair or transfer module event. However if you change the image to a default FRUA image, the text will display properly. This module was done with a fresh install of FRUA and the 1.2 patch installed. No hacks or any other programs were used. (I DID apply the no password hack to CKIT.EXE with HACK CKIT).

I'm going to try and use a transfer module event and actually transfer to a different level and see if maybe that will work.

EDIT: And nope. Even transferring to a different dungeon level, if you use a custom picture, it will not show. bleh.

So basically all stair and transfer module events are bugged, in that if you have a text event directly after them and you use the same custom image (small pic) it will NOT show.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:44:15 PM by Jaesun »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »
The issue is pretty simple.  It's because you are using the same image for all three events.  Don't know why, but FRUA doesn't seem to like that.

There are two ways to fix this:

1) If you want to use another image slot, you can place the image in another slot and alternate them (image 1 -> image 2 -> image 1).

2) If you don't mind using an extra event, this is the most common fix.  You can place an empty Text Statement event just before both the Stair and Transfer Module events.  These empty Text Statement events should have a different picture and should have the "Must Press Return" checkbox unchecked.  They will never appear, so you don't have to worry about the player seeing it.

I am including an updated version of the module you uploaded that has fixed your issue using method 2.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »
OK thank you so much ProphetSword! I tried both the options you stated above and those methods will fix this problem. This was driving me crazy.  :P

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: smallpic text stair even bug? [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 08:08:05 PM »
No problem. This same issue will also pop up if an event picture is used when a rest is interrupted or you need to show two big pictures in a row. They can be solved using empty text statements.

anything