Author Topic: Weirdest RPGs You've Ever Played  (Read 1850 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Weirdest RPGs You've Ever Played
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
You know what I mean...those games that are a bit strange.  They might be fun, but they're still weird.

For me, it would likely be Teenagers From Outer Space.  Great fun, but a weird enough game concept that when you explain it to other people, they think you're insane.

You see, you're a teenager going to high school in outer space...and you have to deal with normal teenager-type issues...except in outer space with aliens and such...

Yeah, I still can't explain how it's fun without sounding like I've lost my mind.  Just trust me.  What have the rest of you played that was weird and fun?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Weirdest RPGs You've Ever Played
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:58 PM »
In the same vein (no pun intended), Monsterhearts.

You are a teenager, but a monster. Like a vampire, werewolf, witch, golem, and tons more esoteric (sugarskulls anyone?)

More oldskool would be Paranoia. That game could be trippy, and the Gamma World edition that came out a few years back.

Not so much weird in play, but perhaps in concept, Timemaster. Here is a encapsulated description taken from Wikipedia: "Players take on the role of Time Corps agents to fix deviations in the timeline on the game. The primary antagonists are the Demoreans, a race of shape-shifting, fictional aliens from another dimension who are determined to mold time to suit their needs." I actually talked my 6th grade teacher into allowing me to run a huge game for my class for two one-hour periods each week for nearly two months because I had the class chasing the Demoreans across history, and used the time periods and events we were studying.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »
I almost went with Paranoia as my game of choice.  Back in the 1980s, I was frequently the GM for those games, and apparently I was really good at being "The Computer."  So good, in fact, that most characters (and their clones) didn't make it back from most missions.  It's definitely a weird game, but a whole lot of fun with the right people.

Another strange one I once owned was called Dream Park.  A lot of what I remember may not be accurate, but I'll try to get it right.  The idea behind the game was that the game took place in some kind of futuristic game park where there were (for lack of better description) holo-decks, like the ones we saw in Star Trek.  The characters could die during their adventures, but weren't dead in real life, so they'd be back during future adventures.  Each time you played, it could be something different...a pirate adventure, a medieval adventure, science fiction or even a Victorian-era murder mystery.  There were even suggestions to combine genres for something really different...like a medieval adventure where the players are aliens from another planet.

Where it had issues was that players had a hard time getting invested in the game.  Knowing it wasn't really "real," kind of took the fun out of it.  I don't think they really gave a good reason why players would care about adventuring in a fake futuristic holo-deck.  At least, that's how the players I played with felt about it at the time.

(If someone has better knowledge of the game than I've provided, feel free to correct me.  It's been 20 years since I've even seen the book).

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »
I haven't played it but it was interesting enough :) Macho Women with Guns. Now I think if it was called Macho People with Guns would probably be more interesting.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Dream Park is pretty much what you described, Ben. I only played it once, and cannot recall any of the mechanics, but the group I played with acted like psychotics with our characters. We figured since there were no real repercussions for character actions, not even death, we would play as if we were truly "chaotic evil" (no alignment system in the game).

We were dinosaur riding pirates fighting off an alien invasion.

Story was aliens invaded during the time of pirates on earth (think Pirates of the Caribbean style, even though that movie wasn't out yet). There was some sort of tear in time and dinosaurs appeared, along with some robots. We, the pirates, wrangled some dinos, scrapped a lot of robots and made cybernetic enhancements for ourselves and the dinos, and fought the aliens.

I remember my pirate wench rode a stegosaurus that could fire tail spikes and block lasers with his back plates. I had a a laser cutlas (light saber), a flintlock that shot nets, and a cybernetic monkey with a tail like one of doc ock's tentacles.

Another guy had strapped a modified ship's cannon (fired electricity balls) onto the back of a pteradactyle and flew around zapping aliens. The T-Rex was given a breath weapon ala Godzilla and cybernetic arms to increase his reach. The pirate captian rode that. I forget what he had except his eyepatch shot a death ray.

You'd think we were kids playing that, but it was in 1992 or 1993, so i was 21 or 22.  lol

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
You'd think we were kids playing that, but it was in 1992 or 1993, so i was 21 or 22.  lol

I know the feeling.  When my group was playing it, we were all in our early to mid 20s as well.  Except for one guy, who was in his 30s.

After the interesting genre-mixing novelty wore off, we stopped playing.  Like I said, it's hard to care when nothing you're doing is really important in any way to the game world.  I think there might have been an audience who watched the adventure, like maybe you were actors putting on a show.  I don't really remember.  But even that isn't enough motivation to really involve yourself in a plot against aliens or man-eating zombie plants when you know it's all fake and you can't really lose.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
Bunnies and Burrows.

Always have had a soft spot for Watership Down and this may not have been the weirdest rpg but was really more than memorable.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »
What can you tell us about it?

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 01:09:59 AM »
What can you tell us about it?

first off it was a Gurps issue so if you've ever played anything by Steve Jackson it's not gonna be a simple sit... i understand the original was even less coherent but:  you play as a rabbit and your range of classes were things you'd expect a real rabbit capable of, including your weaknesses and strengths such as freezing in fear when confronted or attacked or injured or being able to outpace a predator (a most common form of 'combat' resolution :) ).  my experience was i played an herbsniffer who could tell others what plants were good to eat and what were not and what was useful for a range of other uses like aiding in detoxifying or helping to speed along healing.  communication was mostly a language of 'thumping' which could travel distance, regardless of solid/space between, though some rabbits were skilled in it and made best use of it.  there was a class of monklikes who actually trained and excelled in martial combat but it was rare and there were many rules for it (i did not engage in it personally).  the most interesting thing about bunnies and burrows, for me, was that no matter what enemy we faced it was always deadlier than we and 'defeating' it usually involved anything but physical combat.  was a nice counterbalance to the 2nd edition AD&D weapons-for-hands play i was used to.  also, no items or gear other than perhaps a lucky pebble or a piece of string or other things that seemed inconsequential but were actually useful tools under circumstances.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »
Very interesting. Lately I was thinking about playing some educational RPG :) not sure if there is such thing though :/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »
I would guess that all RPGs are educational.  Not only do you learn math and social skills, you learn how to spell a lot of words!  Where else will you learn to spell Arquebus, Glaive-Guisarme and Tarrasque;)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
Mage: the Ascension was based on real-life occultism to some degree, as was Liber Ka for Nephilim.  Not sure if that's really educational. ;)

Speaking of weird, there was this game where you had to explore these underground labyrinths which had somehow been filled with monsters that waited calmly for you to kill them in isolated rooms and never organized against you, and were mysteriously maintained for eons without starving to death or trying to eat each other. That and they somehow collected lots of human money, thousands and thousands of coins, the origin of which was never clearly explained. Oh, and after you'd killed enough monsters, you'd somehow be able to take as much punishment as four large warhorses if you had the right type of character. I don't know if anyone else played it.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
I would guess that all RPGs are educational.  Not only do you learn math and social skills, you learn how to spell a lot of words!  Where else will you learn to spell Arquebus, Glaive-Guisarme and Tarrasque;)

;D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
Speaking of weird, there was this game where you had to explore these underground labyrinths which had somehow been filled with monsters that waited calmly for you to kill them in isolated rooms and never organized against you, and were mysteriously maintained for eons without starving to death or trying to eat each other. That and they somehow collected lots of human money, thousands and thousands of coins, the origin of which was never clearly explained. Oh, and after you'd killed enough monsters, you'd somehow be able to take as much punishment as four large warhorses if you had the right type of character. I don't know if anyone else played it.

Wow, that is weird.

The only thing that would make it weirder would be if these monsters also had helpful items enchanted by powerful magic that they never used to help defend these isolated lairs.  Or if there were extremely deadly traps for no obvious reason littering the hallways of these labyrinths that were not set by the creatures roaming around and also somehow never triggered by them either.  I can't imagine that kind of insanity, though.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
Lol. I meant I would like to learn some of this while RP-ing http://mtnscoutsurvival.com/ or some history, meaning to play real world low tech setting as it was :) probably there are some RPGs like that but I never played them. For example to play and meet some famous people from history, that might be interesting :/