Poll

Which version of D&D is your all-time favorite?

Original D&D (1970s)
0 (0%)
Basic D&D (B/X)
0 (0%)
Basic D&D (BECMI - Rules Cyclopedia)
0 (0%)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - 1st Edition
7 (41.2%)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - 2nd Edition
7 (41.2%)
Dungeons & Dragons - 3rd/3.5 Edition
1 (5.9%)
Dungeons & Dragons - 4th Edition
0 (0%)
Dungeons & Dragons - 5th Edition
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 07, 2016, 06:25:41 AM

Author Topic: Favorite D&D Edition  (Read 1907 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Favorite D&D Edition
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:24:47 AM »
Pretty simple, really.  What version of D&D is your favorite?  Pick one.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Favorite D&D Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
2e with 1e and with sone 3e+ additons that i can manage.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
2e. Understand that my response is based on a very limited view...for table-top gaming, I've only gamed with 2e. 3rd edition was coming out when my lifestyle started changing with a family and such and I've never been back to game again. I really should look around and see if I can find a group to play with though...I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
I am playing with 2 groups on Roll20.net. First is run by my friend who was party leader in my campaign and he is running Keep on the Borderlands, we just finished 2nd session but nothing important happened yet :), and he is planing to run Dungeons of Dread http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16071812-dungeons-of-dread He is running 1e, i guess ok with some speciality proests rules from 2e. If you wan't to play there is still place and we are missing wizard, we have rogue, fighter and me cleric :)

2nd is Al-Quadim 2e but only Al-Quadim kits, and it will be till summer probably we can do one or two of three adventures from Desert of Desolation compilation and we are full there with 5 of us.

For my campaign it was 2e, with anything available, but we had only 2 constant players left. Dwarf fighter i can still count on him, rogue i guess to though he started to work and others are there but busy. I still can resurrect it i guess if i find one good and constant spell caster (wizard or cleric, but preferably something that can cast good offensive spells). We are still on the surface levels of Greyhawk Castle, though main characters are about Lv6 adventure is about Lv3 (though there are places where anything can happen :)). Good thing about castle is that it is famous, has 800+ rooms (i have just checked Undermountain 1 and 2 has around 300+, excluding Lost level, Stardock and Maddgoth's Castle), bad thing is that is a bit unfinished (few major NPCs are missing) and story is nothing special (I actualy got bit bored with it) plus GH has 1e feel and it is not updated to 2e fully (for example i have only 1/3 speciality priests for it, but except FR all other setting don't have them :)). But final thing i have demistified it and think that know most thing needed (I also can post a very large txt file with complete history of the castle, which actualy is central thing on GH, except maybe Hand of Vecna story and few others :), just for ilustration here is one of texts that shines a bit light on it http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/articles/ringoffive.html). But beside GH castle I have a lot prepared middle level adventures (from dragon magazine or web found adventures), so I can run them depending on current mood of the party.

All this are European time campaigns and are playing mostly about 7pm GMT +1 time (thursdays, wednesdays, and sundays in order), but I have seen some US time campaigns too, most interestingly with module Nigh Below but it is at 2-3am my time so can't happen for me, but there are more people playing on Roll20.net 1st and 2nd edition so you can choose too :).

If You wan't I can send invite for my campaign that is on hold (i have around 10 PCs made already, and most of the files are still there, would like to see it finished if possible then make DC version, though I could finish it on my own too :)), or can ask friend to to give me invite for his Keep on the Borderlands campaign. This one is good because it starts from Lv1, and for me it would be best to start my own after summer.

Lately I was playing Age of Wonders (GOG version is better, Steam is a bit buggy but i transfered saved games so it works), but was planing to play some more games from GOG on my newer computer (Fallout, will need to transfer saved games from lap top, then i have FO2 and FO Tactics and few others). Also one thing that I noticed that online playing conflicts with my FRUA playing a bit, also online playing is not same thing like table top playing but it is good enough I think :). I am hoping to be able to play all those and work too on art and some programs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:07:43 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
I appreciate the offer Milos. Other than MMORPGs and CRPGs, I've never played an RPG on the computer. I'll pass on the invites as I really shouldn't add another computer-based activity to my world! :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
Good choice :) It takes some time I have to admit but it is not hard and you just nead a good mic. Btw Age of Wonders 1 is really good game :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:26:21 PM »
My vote went for 5th Edition.  I think it's probably one of the easiest editions to run and play.

I'm currently running a weekly campaign that started in early 2013.  We started it in Pathfinder, moved it to the 5th Edition playtest rules, and then slid into full 5th edition upon release of the Player's Handbook.  Pathfinder didn't really work for us (way too rules heavy for my liking), so I was eager to move into a lighter rules system.  Thank goodness for 5th Edition.

I'm preparing to start another 5th Edition campaign (probably every other week) using online tools. Playing online can be just like playing at the table if you set it all up right.  At least, in my experiences, it can be fun in the same way.

My second favorite edition (if I had to pick another) would probably be 2nd Edition, which just barely beats both 1st Edition and Basic D&D...but only just barely.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:28:14 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline Amarande

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
It was a hard choice between 1E and 3E here.

Ultimately I went with 3E largely because of how it's so much more amenable to large-scale customisation for your specific world (then again 1E is simple enough that you rarely need to seriously mess with the base ruleset to adapt it to a particular world) - D20 is universal enough to be able to fit almost anything, really.

I have never had a chance to play Basic D&D so I'm not sure how well I'd really like it or not offhand (I do have the Rules Cyclopedia and a few other BD&D PDFs from DriveThru, though)

2E is extremely similar at its core to 1E; it's hard to really assess it separately even though the poll has them as separate options, unlike 3E-5E which are all major sea changes to the base game paradigm.

4E is far too rigid, IMO - a step very much in the wrong direction after the creative playground that was 3E. IIRC a common catcall towards 4E is that in 3E you adapted the game to fit your world; in 4E, you had better get used to adapting the world to fit the game ... Also the beginning of Hasbro getting far too capitalist about the game (IIRC the PHB didn't even come with all the classic D&D classes! Druid? Bard? Sorcerer? Oh, sorry, shell out another 30 bucks for the PHB II why don't you. Me? I never found it appealing enough to get past the Core Three, and seeing as I never got to be a DM I might as well have saved my money and just gotten the PHB this time! TBH, the 4E core books were actually the first books from my RPG collection that I actually donated to the local library book sale, for what that's worth ...).

Have not really tried 5E. I'm not sure I'm so keen on it - if it's got the things I loved about 3E I may as well stick with 3E and save my money (especially with MSRPs getting to practically a Games Workshop level of insanity ... seriously Hasbro do you need to be that greedy? White Wolf lives and dies on its RPG sales, and yet I can still get the latest Vampire for $30 ... :P)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »
Have not really tried 5E. I'm not sure I'm so keen on it - if it's got the things I loved about 3E I may as well stick with 3E and save my money (especially with MSRPs getting to practically a Games Workshop level of insanity ... seriously Hasbro do you need to be that greedy? White Wolf lives and dies on its RPG sales, and yet I can still get the latest Vampire for $30 ... :P )

You can get the 5E Basic Rules for free here:
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

You can also find several free supplements released by Wizards of the Coast that add new races, spells, etc.

As far as MSRP goes, does anyone actually pay those prices?  I got the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master's Guide for around $80, or just a little over $25 per book.

I'm not suggesting that you throw money at a new edition.  But, if you're interested, you can look at the free rules which are identical to the rules available in the hardback books.  You can play an entire campaign with just that (apparently, people are doing it) and not pay a dime.  The hardbacks add more options (more classes, more races, optional rules, etc), and while nice...aren't necessary for every group.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:20:08 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
2nd edition + 1st edition with some rules ignored. Don't remember the differences between the two now except classes. I think they got rid of assassins and I kept them. Of course, anyone who kills for hire is an assassin, though they stay in their class instead of the assassin class. Assassins were like monks, from oriental adventures.

anything