Author Topic: Events based upon Quest Stages  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Events based upon Quest Stages
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 03:29:32 AM »
The quest stage event indeed does not help here.

I disagree. The Quest Stage Event is exactly the thing you are looking for if you want certain events to fire depending on the current value of the Quest variable.

The Quest Stage event checks for Quest X - Stage N. It has options which include Automatic (No Question) and Impossible (No Question). It also has a Normal Chain, an Accept Chain, and a Reject Chain.

If Quest X is currently at Stage N-1, then a Quest Stage Event set to Automatic (No Question) can add one to the Quest, making it have a value of N, and then execute the Events in the Accept Chain.

You are absolutely right, it works also this way. It is surely a matter of personal preferences which way to use.

Paul/Manikus: Making windows in the editor bigger and adding comments would be great in general.

I am not up to date concerning DC 1.0, but the event viewer itself in 0.914 is quite small, you cannot see more than 15 events at a time. It would be great if at least 15 more were visible, or if the event viewer window was resizable. (Sorry in case this was already improved for 1.0, I will change to 1.x once my current project is finished.)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
This is where I get confused.  Does the Quest Stage event SET the quest stage or check against the quest stage?  Or both?

Based on what I am reading, I need to mess around with the editor some more (and we need more tutorials)

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
bravedogbfg, I have used Quest Stages and checking Quest events throughout the module I'm working on.

First, you need to go to the Global settings and under Special Items, Keys and Quests, add the name of the Quest you will be using. I have over 20 "Quests" in play. Some times, I use this to check if an NPC has been talked to or other world events.

Then in the Event editor, you use the Quest Stage event to set the Quest. There are more variables involved, but usually I have this done automatically and silently without the player needing to accept the "quest". This is dependent on the designer's intentions.

In an Event Trigger, you would select Quest is Present in Party and you will choose the quest from the Quest box a little lower on the screen that will open up a drop down menu.

Again, this is the method I have used while working in the 1.00 editor. Hopefully some of this is relevant to what you are looking for.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »
This is where I get confused.  Does the Quest Stage event SET the quest stage or check against the quest stage?  Or both?

It can do both. Automatic or Accept adds 1 to the Quest Stage. Impossible or Reject leaves the Quest Stage with its current value unchanged. Complete on Accept sets the Quest Stage to 65,000. Failed on Reject sets the Quest Stage to 65,001.

Quest Stage 1 happens if the Stage = 0. Automatic or Accept on Yes makes the Stage = 1.
Quest Stage 2 happens if the Stage = 1. Automatic or Accept on Yes makes the Stage = 2.
Quest Stage N happens if the Stage = N-1. Automatic or Accept on Yes makes the Stage = N.

Manikus has written a tutorial on this subject:
http://manikus.reonis.com/Help/EditorsInAction-PlacingAQuestStageEvent.html
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com