Author Topic: T1- The Village of Hommlet  (Read 2925 times)

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
T1- The Village of Hommlet
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »
T1 - The Village of Hommlet:

http://www.noldrek.com/dc/index.html

The Village of Hommlet has grown up around a crossroads in a woodland. Once far from any important activity, it became embroiled in the struggle between gods and demons when the Temple of Elemental Evil arose but a few leagues away. Luckily for its inhabitants, the Temple and its evil hordes were destroyed a decade ago, but Hommlet still suffers from incursions of bandits and strange monsters.

T1 - The Village of Hommlet.

The adventure begins in the eponymous village of Hommlet, situated near the site of a past battle against evil forces operating from the Temple of Elemental Evil. The adventurers travel through Hommlet and are drawn into a web of conspiracy and deception.

The module is recommended for first-level characters, who begin the adventure "weary, weak, and practically void of money".

Download Link:

http://www.noldrek.com/dc/index.html
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: T1- The Village of Hommlet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
This is a bit exciting.  Our first post-1.0 design release.

I did not last long after leaving  town and meeting your frogs.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
I downloaded Hommlet and started looking around. I like how you laid out the map, and enjoy exploring the village again.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Awesome, Nol! I've put this on my drive to take home and try out. :D

Offline atmosonic

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
Bravo!  I can't wait to play this.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:45:56 AM »
Sounds really interesting!  :D  I remember think that this module had some unique critters - like the giant tick.  (Okay, I can't remember any others.)  I think that there were giant lizards and giant toads, too.  We may need some icons!  :D  But I'm curious to see if you put in those critters anyway...
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:08:48 AM »
I had a quick look at this (just a few minutes) and find the approach of seeing the village as an overland map quite nice. This simplicity is well counterbalanced by the nice describing texts which give a good atmosphere.

There is one aspect though that stroke me right at the beginning and can probably easily be "corrected": The time used with each step in the overland map showing the village is still set to several hours (as would be reasonable for overland maps depicting huge areas). That means, even when stepping just from one side of a house to another, the player needs half a day. I assume that there is no time limit or something like that in your design, still, it feels somewhat strange. Or is this on purpose?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
I did not last long after leaving  town and meeting your frogs.

Congratulations! Since 1979, nearly 50% of all parties of level 1 characters have been killed by the Frogs. This is a time-honored tradition. Create more characters. Persistence is key.

Sounds really interesting!  :D  I remember think that this module had some unique critters - like the giant tick.  (Okay, I can't remember any others.)  I think that there were giant lizards and giant toads, too.  We may need some icons!  :D  But I'm curious to see if you put in those critters anyway...

If you build a Giant Tick icon, I will update the monster database to include it. In the meantime, I found a suitable stand-in for the Tick. It swallows characters whole. Your Giant Crayfish makes an appearance in a supporting role.

There is one aspect though that stroke me right at the beginning and can probably easily be "corrected": The time used with each step in the overland map showing the village is still set to several hours (as would be reasonable for overland maps depicting huge areas).

I was using the default setting. At your suggestion, I have gone into the Global Settings and changed the time on the Overland Map to be 1 minute, just as it is in a Dungeon. Time is of no importance in this module. There are no rest restrictions. If you rest inside the Dungeon for 72 days, you can pretend that you returned to town and bought a room at the Inn before doing so.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:33 PM »
I will put a giant tick on the list of things to do!  (But I will be away for a few days+...)

Bah, those 1st-level PCs are as replaceable as cheese!  Use a few of them as decoys, then recruit some new ones for the next battle!  :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »
Here is the giant tick.  :D

As a bonus, I have added an engorged version of the same - maybe something interesting can be scripted!

Ed

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 02:33:29 PM »
Nice icons. :)

Just spitballing here...
The stirge has a script attached to it that keeps it attached to the target combatant until it is full of blood, and then it disconnects. One could use that as a basis and when the tick disconnects script it to 1) remove "tick" and replace with "tick|full" (or whatever) and 2) move slowly away from enemy combatant. #1 works, and there are Hooks that allow us to get x and y coordinates from the combat map...
Hmm, this could be a solutioin for druids changing to animal forms or were animals, or... :)

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
Here is the giant tick.  :D

Thank you! I will take the monster I had standing in for the Giant Tick and move it elsewhere in the dungeon as a wandering monster.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
Nol, I'm playing the game and enjoying myself. :D

I like the top-down view for the viallage - very clever and it looks good too.

I got side-tracked after the frogs and some rats and was motivated to do some Village of Hommlet inspired art. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
Cool! I like how you changed the walls! I have attached another approach (with black outlines, though...  :-\ )
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »
Cool! I like how you changed the walls! I have attached another approach (with black outlines, though...  :-\ )

That looks cool. :) I was thinking that in general that we don't have enough "ruins" walls and overlays.