Author Topic: Towers of Magic  (Read 13302 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Towers of Magic
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »
I know :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2016, 11:23:29 PM »
It is kind of a bug with DC that images sometimes display weirdly - as shown in the screenshot, kind of diagonal and stripy. I'm not sure exactly what causes it (seems to be inconsistent) but from memory (from a long time ago) it may not occur when images have dimensions that are multiples of 4 pixels.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #227 on: November 15, 2016, 05:12:50 AM »
This image was just 1 pixel off :) but I got it fixed.

Anyway I better get to work to finish this ogre, it already took a bit more time then I expected.

And here is something I was working on too for DC, my Pinterest with mostly RPG inspiration for now. Those maps could be also usable for quick random dungeon https://www.pinterest.com/milosgulan77/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:20:44 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2016, 05:37:20 AM »
It is like Steve wrote - if the width or height is not a multiple of 4, some graphic file formats go wrong, at least png. I am not sure if this is a real bug...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
Not sure about that, but it may be :) Anyway here is my Ogre pic in normal non attack mode. I will need to render it later and make sprites and icons.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
It is kind of a bug with DC that images sometimes display weirdly - as shown in the screenshot, kind of diagonal and stripy. I'm not sure exactly what causes it (seems to be inconsistent) but from memory (from a long time ago) it may not occur when images have dimensions that are multiples of 4 pixels.

It's actually a PNG thing. Unfortunately DC is not the only game I have that does this. As Dinonykos said, they have to be a multiple of 4 in width. actually it might be a DC thing in the sense that it is an old PNG thing. The code to  handle PNG files is what, 16? 17? years old?

If I knew anything about the CDX code (where the graphics formats are defined) i would fix this and add GIF support. ;)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
Here it is :) I still need to do sprites then I will do random encounter in town. I am not sure if I will know to do this, I think it is done with zones, but I will ask probably if I don't know how it is done.

Btw my first large size icon. I was thinking how much time and effort was needed to do icons like Uatu and Dinonykos did. I mean they are doing great work.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2016, 02:02:12 AM »
I guess you did your icon based on the 3d model - I think the approach is thus very different. For me and especially for Uatu, huge icons mean a lot of work because we kind of draw them "by hand. The challenge is quite different if you make icons based on 3d models-  I guess that small icons are in some way more challenging with the 3d model approach.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2016, 03:58:01 AM »
Yes, icons if done with 3d tools most of the time need a lot of postwork to look good like those drawn by hand. I am hoping that I will recolor them eventualy. But most difficult part of the challenge with 3d for me at the moment is to fit all things together and make that some part of the clothing doesn't look bad. Also collecting of the 3d models is a serious things and without them You can't work effectively. But I am guessing that for scenes it is relatively good solution, though I have to admit those pro artist does scenes better, but it is probably also a lot more work.

Just for illustration here is where I did made a mistake but it is not that obvious in smaller pictures, I didn't saw it as I did first smaller picture for 640 resolution :/. Anyway now to sprites and then a bit playing before I upload my design. I am glad how it is going but I would like it to go faster, and for that I will have to dedicate more time to designing and will have to make some cut offs in my other free time activities :)

Btw red line is big mistake and yellow is smaller

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2016, 06:02:31 AM »
I think I am getting better, I will have two version of this sprite one moving to the left and one to the right. I am not sure if it is possible in DC that they move in animation way like that creature is approaching. I tried but I couldn't make it move, only option it seems is that I can show one sprite on screen. I did first largest picture, 2 more to go.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »
I have finished Ogre, now I will need to shape up underground a bit more and upload my design. It will probably happen at Saturday or maybe later depending when my dad will return from Belgrade. I might work till he comes back then I will upload it.

Here is what I have for now...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:44:43 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
I think that Dinonykos is right, all else being equal, small icons are easier for people hand-drawing them, and large icons are easier for people rendering them. :)

Milos, I don't know how long you spend on each image, but I've been doing this for over a decade and know how to use Studio as good as anyone, and I spend at least 40 minutes setting up a small picture/portrait for use in DC, and at least 15 minutes setting up for icons. If I am going to do a render to post in a gallery somewhere, it is not uncommon to spend an afternoon. The caveat is that I do make a significant portion of textures that I use, etc.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
I don't know either, but not too much I think. Only problem is that my computer is old, or maybe even very old now, and that I like doing something else while working with studio and that is almost impossible when trying to work on a scene, but it is not much of a problem if working with only one character. I also have old (ancient) lap top and I use it for downloading and storing 3d models or to do something like reading the forums ect.

I mean to summ it up, to set up a character is easy if You have good models to use :). and thank God everything for me is now workable but it still needs a bit of effort, but I definitely like to work with 3d and I am hoping that I will be able to work with DS and similar programs (Blender,ect) in the future.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »
Here is new version of Towers of Magic | Size: 33mb | http://www.reonis.com/gulan/TOM/DC_ToM_r640.zip

Resolution is 640*480. I have fixed some things but there is still a lot to be done. It iz zipped with 7z, in zip format, because I can't upload 7z on the site. But 7zip can unpack it without problems.

What I have done is added new creature in the underground, that is Ogre beside adding a lot of starting PC characters (every class except humanoids). Also I have started to work on evil PC campaign (beside good in the evil underground).

It is still a bit rough, inn in the underground is missing evil NPC-s if I remember good and I will need to fix it first then smithy.

From tomorrow I will be starting to work on this module a bit more serious, beside working on my books and I am hoping that I will have something playable till new year at least that is my goal.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2016, 02:44:12 PM »
I planed all encounters for rooms and step events today, and should have started working on them but I also opened DS and made this barmaid. I plan to add dagger and she should be Thief level 2. Need to do sprite and icon for attack position and portrait. I will probably do guard next.

anything