Poll

What wall format should be used for the default art of all three resolutions?

Standard (FRUA layout)
1 (10%)
Hyper (created by Dinonykos)
0 (0%)
Hyper with thumbnails
7 (70%)
something else - will explain in message
1 (10%)
don't care
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Wall format for the default art  (Read 1916 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Wall format for the default art
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
With the recent addition of "_thumb" for walls thanks to Paul, it is up for consideration what wall format the default art should use.

Default: this is the format that FRUA users are familiar with. The preview in the wall editor looks good. Small files size, but rather limited.
Hyper: this format was created by Dinonykos and has been around DC for a number of years now. Allows second and third story walls, better overlays and many more options. Large file size and doesn't look very good in the wall editor.
Hyper with thumbnails: the best of both worlds. The walls would be hyper walls and the thumbnails are in default wall format. Lots of extra files, though it should be obvious at a glance what is what. :Largest file size and looks good in editor.

Please comment on what you want, and what you think would work for someone new to Dungeon Craft (who may or may not know about FRUA).

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Wall format for the default art
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
I think Hyper with Thumbs is the way to go.  Like you said, it's the best of both worlds.

Since we can't import FRUA walls directly, there's really no reason to keep the same format.  DC does what it's supposed to do in regards to displaying the walls in the engine and game in a fashion similar to UA, so I think it's okay if it doesn't have the same layout.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
Do you think it will be confusing for new users to have "wall_GreyStone.png" and "wall_GreyStone_thumb.png" in their Resources directory? I can try to explain somewhere, file manifest perhaps, what the files do.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
Do you think it will be confusing for new users to have "wall_GreyStone.png" and "wall_GreyStone_thumb.png" in their Resources directory? I can try to explain somewhere, file manifest perhaps, what the files do.

I think that you might need to include some kind of file (readme?) that explains the directory structure and what files should go where. This suggestion is supposed to be for the people who aren't regulars here at this forum.

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »

I think that you might need to include some kind of file (readme?) that explains the directory structure and what files should go where. This suggestion is supposed to be for the people who aren't regulars here at this forum.

ST

Folder structure will definitely need to be explained in the ReadMe. And I'll want to list the files in the default download, too. I might just do it in a separate file depending on how big the first one is. :) As important as explanations will be links to this forum, I think. ;)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »
Okay, who voted for "something else" but hasn't explained what they mean? ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »

Not me. I voted for Standard (FRUA Layout). Hyper Walls + Thumbs would be OK also, but I think the simplest solution is best.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 01:19:17 AM »
I vote hyper with thumbs too. Second choice would be hyper with no thumbs.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »

If a new user has had no experience with DC, then I think this will be the *least* confusing thing they will have to deal with.  I don't think it's really hard a concept to understand.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »

If a new user has had no experience with DC, then I think this will be the *least* confusing thing they will have to deal with.  I don't think it's really hard a concept to understand.

Fair enough. :) I suspect you are correct on both accounts, that it is not that confusing and that this is likely the least confusing thing a new user will encounter. :D

Unless a bunch of people descend upon this poll with a different idea, I am thinking hyper walls with thumbnails will be the way to go.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

I CONFESS! that was me. I did explain my thoughts on this, but did not tell you it was me.

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

I CONFESS! that was me. I did explain my thoughts on this, but did not tell you it was me.

ST

So what is the something else?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:05:55 AM »
I voted for Hyper with thumbnails to be default, but i expect normal walls also to be usable like they did before. I guess Hyper walls are better option so they should have come first, they might be a little larger in size but i hope that will not influence things so much. What i think DC need is a good choice of default walls like FRUA had but even more and better ones to be really cool and usable by designers...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »
I also voted for the Hyper + Thumbs option. The default version and several other wall types will continue to work, too, so no reason to be concerned.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
I voted for Hyper with thumbnails to be default, but i expect normal walls also to be usable like they did before. I guess Hyper walls are better option so they should have come first, they might be a little larger in size but i hope that will not influence things so much. What i think DC need is a good choice of default walls like FRUA had but even more and better ones to be really cool and usable by designers...

The wall formats afre not changing, only the default art. You will still be able to use all fo the walls that you currently have. :)

anything