Author Topic: Where are you, Iceblink?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Where are you, Iceblink?
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:05 AM »
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion going on about Iceblink, considering how closely it is related to UA, Dungeon Craft and Neverwinter Nights...all of which seem to be gaming engines that have been embraced by this community.

I think a big portion of this community is missing out by not at least giving the engine a try.

Perhaps more posts by the developers could help?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Where are you, Iceblink?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
was kinda curious about this as well. I guess I'll put my time and energy into bugtesting DC for the time being. Still, IB was something I was interested in.

ST

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
I have my hands full with so much other stuff, that even trying to squeeze something new in would be difficult.

But, of the four mentioned (FRUA, DC, NWN, and IB), I think Iceblink would be what I would focus on had I the time to do so.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
Iceblink isn't dead.  Sorry if I gave that impression.  There's just not a lot of movement on these forums (they have forums of their own). 

So, if you're interested in the Iceblink Engine, I would definitely give it a look.  A lot of people are working on adventures for it.  I would just like to see more posting in this section of the boards.

Offline slowdive

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »
Definitely not dead. I've been working the past couple of months on the Android port of the engine and converting The Raventhal to that Android version. I'm pretty far along and should have a beta ready for testing in a couple of weeks for anyone here on the forums that has an Android device. Just let me know and I'll send a link to the apk.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:53:14 AM »
I have an android device (Samsung tablet) that I can help test with, if you need.

When you say you're working on conversions to Android, can I assume you mean so that the finished designs can be played in Android?  Because, while it would be hilarious, I doubt you meant that you were going to get the toolset running on Android.  Though, designing massive campaigns on my Android phone sounds like the kind of challenge I might actually try (I'm difficult that way)!   ;D

Offline slowdive

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »
Okay, I'll send you an apk once I have a build ready for testing. Which Samsung tablet do you have? You have an android phone as well? If so, which phone do you have? It is tricky to code for all screen resolutions and densities when you are not using "layouts" and instead drawing everything to a "canvas". I'm using a design layout based on percent location on screen. Works great so far.

I'm just porting the engine, not the toolset. So modules are created on the PC and then I make the necessary adjustments and conversions to the Android engine requirements (mostly automated). It would be cool to have a tablet version of the toolset someday. Would be cool to sit on the couch and create as ideas come into your head. We'll see if the Android version of the game generates any interest first.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
I'm a Samsung kind of guy.  My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (running Android 4.1 with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800) and my phone is the Samsung Galaxy II (which is running some version of Android 2.x and a screen resolution of 240 x 320).  If that helps.

Offline slowdive

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
Okay, great. Both of those devices should be a good test for how the graphics and UI work on a large device and on a lower resolution phone. I have a samsung galaxy nexus phone (google phone), no tablet here for testing on...just emulators.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
I'll write you a PM with the email address where you can write me if you need help with the testing.