Author Topic: General questions about the Iceblink project  (Read 988 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
General questions about the Iceblink project
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:45:49 AM »
I already started posting questions in the FRUA General Discussion thread about the new IB board, but then I realized this would be a more fitting place for them. If anyone wants to add their own questions here, feel free to do so!

1. In what way could an interested user support your project post-Kickstarter? Can we purchase the toolset and all updates to it via PayPal?

2. What resolution does the game run in and which OS are supported? Does it work on XP, Vista, Win7, Win8? Would it run on a netbook with a maximum resolution of 1024x600? Does it run in fullscreen mode or windowed mode? Is it friendly towards low-end PCs with weak graphic cards?

3. Are there any adventures or demos available for it yet?

4. What is the extent of possible customization? I assume you can import your own pictures, icons and tiles, can you also change parts of the GUI, the font used, sounds and music etc.?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:03:21 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline youngneil1

Re: General questions about the Iceblink project
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
I will try to answer a few of those right now as good as I can (slowdive will have the other and/or more thorough answers):

1. I will pass this one on to slowdive.

2. I can only tell you that I run it successfully on Win7 and  - as it is directx9 based - would expect it to run all the listed OS (but don't know positively). Max. res. of 1024 x 600 should be no problem, using intel integrated weak graphic cards might become a problem (my old netbook can run the toolset, but not the engine right now).

3. Yes - Hearkenwold, Lanterna and Red Carnival are the names of the three adventures available already (see here http://www.iceblinkengine.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=22). Hearkenwold and Lanterna form each the beginning of a larger adventure, while Red Carnival is (somewhat) closed in itself (but plays in a gameworld I will do a much larger campaign in). You will need the IceBlink engine to play these modules though.

4. The extent of customization is immense. Besides own character portraits, map graphics (which can be tiles or full+ screen pictures), tokens/sprites and icon graphics, you can also change parts of the GUI like fonts or various menu background and header colors. Sounds and music can be self recorded/imported and used in IB (.wav, .mp3, etc.). Furthermore IB has plenty of script hooks (C# scripts) and customization wizards in place: design your own races, classes, skills, traits and spells,. Set up you own shops and modify the rule system via many open scripts the game engine fuses , too. Have labels for gold/credits/Yen or specifically define the content of the character sheet... this and much more (do creatures, items, props... all with in-toolset menus and imported graphics).

Offline slowdive

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
Looks like Karl hit all the main points. As far as number one, anyone interested in gaining access to the alpha and beta builds can PM me here and we will try and work something out ;-) I think maybe a blog review, bug hunting, play and review some of the current modules/adventures, make a "Let's Play" type video of one of the modules and share, and/or build a mini module for the community to play would suffice ;-)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:11:54 AM »
I was kindly gifted a key to download the toolset, thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to tinkering with it and maybe trying my hands at a mini-mod, and if it turns out something that I actually enjoy, I'll definitely buy a copy once it's released.

Both toolset and engine run fine on my netbook, but they seem not optimized for a resolution of 1024x600. Most of the time it didn't show because everything perfectly fit on the screen, but during character creation, the pop-up windows were cut off at the right border of the screen, so I couldn't select spells.

Btw, would you prefer that I create a new thread on the Troubleshooting board for each and every issue I come across or would it suffice to create one thread and post all my findings there (e.g. "Olivier Leroux's Observations and Bug Reports")?

Offline slowdive

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
One bug list of your own would work great! Keep 'em coming  :D

anything