Author Topic: First Question  (Read 744 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
First Question
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
I'll be the first one to post a question about Iceblink Engine (should we call it IE?).  Does it only have the capability to do fantasy D&D type adventures, or will it have the option to explore other things?  For example, FRUA has been hacked to allow for science fiction, superhero and other genres.  DC is also working on such ability.  I just wondered how much control an author has over a module they create (or, how much control they will have, since it isn't finished at this point).
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline slowdive

Re: First Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
The project was initially meant to be for a fantasy setting only, but with the acheived stretch goals we have made the engine very flexible. Since Classes, Races, Skills, Traits, Spells, Effects, UI, Rulesets, etc. are all customizeable, authors can create basically any setting they wish. I, for example, recreated the Star Frontiers' module "Crash on Volturnous" for one of the beta builds. Instead of Spells they are called and labeled Powers. I had three classes (Medic, Soldier, Engineer) and a few races (Dralasite, Vrusk, Yazirian and Human).

One of the really powerful features, for those who like this sort of thing, is the scripting language is C# and most everything has been exposed to builders to manipulate/access. For those who don't like to make custom scripts, we have many pre-made scripts that accept parameter inputs so it is as easy as say choosing the gaAddPartyMember script and feeding it the name of the pre-made character file you wish to use for adding the character to the party.

Oh, and I think we have been using IB as the acronym instead of IE as to not confuse it with the Infinity Engine.