Author Topic: WuXia Pen & Ink  (Read 2449 times)

Offline hans

WuXia Pen & Ink
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
This is an old pen & ink piece I did, maybe 30 years ago, that I came across while cleaning.

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: WuXia Pen & Ink
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »
Wow :) it looks good. I like the scene and characters are very nicely done.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:19:17 AM »
Wow, that is really good!  Looks like it came out of an adventure module somewhere.  I also like your secret signature on the bottom left :D  If that was 30 years ago, imagine what you could do today...?  :D

Do you remember what kind of tools you used (fountain pens, Bic pens, etc.)?  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:12:31 AM »
:) signature looks good, and yeah for 30 years ago it is kinda very good

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
Thanks, guys!   ;D

Do you remember what kind of tools you used (fountain pens, Bic pens, etc.)?  :D

Either a technical pen or a fine point marker.  My inking style was rather laborious, back then.  Sort of chiselling with ink.  Here's some detail:

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
If you're not a professional artist, you should be (and for all I know, you are).  Because, that is professional grade quality.  Do you make money doing this sort of thing?  Somebody should be paying you.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
That's awesome, hans, I love it! On seeing this, I'd feel compelled to buy an artbook full of your drawings if there had ever been one - and I don't buy artbooks usually. You'd be among my favorite comic artists, too, if you were releasing comics in that style. :)

But as I understood it, you gave up drawing as a profession and do it only as a hobby now?

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, guys!   :D

But as I understood it, you gave up drawing as a profession and do it only as a hobby now?

Yes, for about 20 years I was a freelance pro. 

Locally, I did mostly odd art jobs, a few logos, funny pets t-shirt designs, occassional illustrations, etc. 

Nationally, I did gag-cartooning, occassionally getting into such diverse publications as The Saturday Evening Post, Highlights for Children, Cats Magazine, The National Examiner, The APA (American Psychological Association) Monitor, Going Bonkers?, among many others, as well as King Features Syndicate's "Laff-A-Day" comic strip. 

I did some genre toons for Starlog, Comics Scene, Outer Darkness, and Dragon Magazine.  I colorized a couple of Dragon Mag rejects and submitted them to our own Unlimited Adventures Newsletter (issues 22 & 25).

Although I was able to sell occassional toons, I was never able to really "make a living" with my artwork.  When many of my regular markets started drying up, I tried to sell a comic strip to the syndicates, as well as sending (more realistic) pencil examples to DC and Marvel comics.  No luck, although I did get a phone critique from Marvel's big ed. 

I got farther with a fledgling comicbook company called Twilight Comics, and actually pencilled several issues of a superhero comic for them.  Unfortunately, their product never advanced beyond a few ashcans before the company folded.  I posted the ashcan cover in the General Discussion board some while back under the thread IRION remembered (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2072.0).  After they went bust, which was a bit over a decade ago, I decided to hang up my art tools for greener pastures.

Maybe someday I'll post some examples of my interior pencil work, or maybe my failed tryouts for DC or Marvel (if I can stand to embarass myself that much).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:47:35 PM by hans »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
Now that is interesting :D as a youngster, i myself used to draw (back in the elementary and high school) and was among best. I prefered to draw and then redo with black ink. I guess like they do for comics though i mostly did drawings.

Anyway I am glad to see something like this and it is far better then I could do, though i don't remember last time when i tried :), and as they already said it pic is very good. I might learn something too :) and would like to see some more for sure :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Now i am currious about your other art, i had some too :) though well hm now they are probably somewhere where i cant get them :(

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
This is an old pen & ink piece I did, maybe 30 years ago, that I came across while cleaning.

The detail work is astounding. The Oriental Dragon reminds me of Erol Otus in a good way.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 05:57:33 AM »
Wow, Hans - that is really good stuff, it only look better when you magnify it!  Awesome.  Totally reminds me of old-style module art, and also traditional etch-like medieval pictures as well.  What kind of pens did you use for the inking?  I'd like to try it myself...

Pretty cool that you followed your heart for a while - but the freelance world can certainly be a tough one!  Some people just don't see the talent (maybe you have to have a bit of skill to know it)...  and it is also hard to draw when the request for what to draw is quite unclear...  In some ways, too, doing art for pay takes the joy out of it...  But anyway, I'd love to see anything else you might have to show :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline hans

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, amigos!   ;D

...What kind of pens did you use for the inking?  I'd like to try it myself...

For most of my pro work, I would use a set of technical pens of different sizes.  That pic wasn't a pro job, tho, but rather a little personal project for fun, and to experiment with some effects, so I probably just used a single technical pen.

anything