Author Topic: Curse of the Azure Bonds Temple & Stained Glass Wall Sets  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Curse of the Azure Bonds Temple & Stained Glass Wall Sets
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen this wall set ported from Curse of the Azure Bonds into FRUA.

I'll be sending the complete zip file with all the PCX wall templates over to the file archive under the name wall_tpl.zip.

Because of differences between how COTAB and FRUA store walls, it was impossible to make these a single wall set for the following reasons:

1) The 8X8D* file was around 40K and might have caused FRUA to choke.
2) The pillars stick out from the walls, so were unsuitable to be used as a backdrop for the remaining transparent wall slots 2-4.
3) Because of #2, I tried making the stained glass walls the backdrop, which worked just fine except for the "far away" wall slot bug.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ray

Re: Curse of the Azure Bonds Temple & Stained Glass Wall Sets
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:44 AM »

Oh, man...These look awesome!!!

Thanks, Nol--I've had a few ideas percolating.  The P&P campaign I've been running since 1999 is wrapping up sometime around September, and I've been toying with some ideas that might be interesting.  Adding this--pure nostalgia--to the mix...That's just too cool.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
Don't know if it matters, but "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" had a similar wallset.  Here's a screenshot of the same wallset after I transferred it over to the EGA module I was working on (because I had it handy).  Are they different in some way (I do see one section of wall that's slightly different)?

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:50 AM »
Are they different in some way (I do see one section of wall that's slightly different)?

The Temple wall set in "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" has 3 doorways, no pews, and no altar. The one doorway that looks the same isn't exactly the same. The one in "Curse of the Azure Bonds" has half-height pews with kneeling benches and an altar. The stained glass is "cut in" near the corner on the side walls for a slight 3D effect, where hans' version has a gray diagonal line on the side walls.

I believe that the version I uploaded is identical in appearance to the original from "Curse of the Azure Bonds" (except that I fixed the bug with the way the pews and the altar appeared on the up-close right-side view). I imagine that the bug might be part of the reason why hans decided not to include pews or an altar in his version (that, and the fact that it's impossible to get the stained glass window, the half-height pews, and the 3-D pillars all in a single wall set within FRUA).

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:44:52 AM »
Good to know.  I just wanted to make sure you weren't working really hard at replicating work that someone else had already done. 

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
...I imagine that the bug might be part of the reason why hans decided not to include pews or an altar in his version (that, and the fact that it's impossible to get the stained glass window, the half-height pews, and the 3-D pillars all in a single wall set within FRUA).

Sounds likely.  Plus, my artist's compulsion to rework stuff.   :P 

I'd love to see more EGA mods, retro & nostalgic.  If I had been reworking those walls for VGA UA, I'd certainly have tried to incorporate a more interesting lighting effect into those windows...

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
As much as I love retro mods, I wouldn't mind seeing some of these walls reworked into VGA.

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
Hey, Nol--I'm sorry if this questions sounds terribly naive.

A lot of the older wall sets come with information, like, "Use in Forest A" or "Caves" or "Marble."

I've not been able to use some of the wall art that others have uploaded.  There was an awesome set including a fountain, I believe by Landry, but I could never find a way to import it that did not look...well, it never looked like a fountain in the game because I could never find the right wall slots...

I've gotten the impression that I might just be using an outdated program (WallEdit), but I haven't been able to get any farther with Dan's Toolbox program, either. 

All that to say, Is there a specific wall set  these are made to replace? 

(Or, alternatively, I am just doing it wrong?)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »

A lot of the older wall sets come with information, like, "Use in Forest A" or "Caves" or "Marble."

I've not been able to use some of the wall art that others have uploaded.  There was an awesome set including a fountain, I believe by Landry, but I could never find a way to import it that did not look...well, it never looked like a fountain in the game because I could never find the right wall slots...

I've gotten the impression that I might just be using an outdated program (WallEdit), but I haven't been able to get any farther with Dan's Toolbox program, either. 

I read about those in one of the UANLs. Also in Olivier Leroux's Wallset Thread. Has to do with the flickering pixels or something. I think you need Toolbox.exe to place within a wallset. You Import a wall, press Options, then select the wall art. I think the UANL with the article was in the 30s.

BTW, Nol, I made the wallset for Neverwinter Nights - Offline at the Coral B and Fire Bricks slots here: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2344.0.

I forgot to cut off the bottom row of diagonals for the slot 0 wall, since gray appears to be poking out of my altar. I used a shortened wall for the 0 slot and overlays for the others. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »

I read about those in one of the UANLs. Also in Olivier Leroux's Wallset Thread. Has to do with the flickering pixels or something. I think you need Toolbox.exe to place within a wallset. You Import a wall, press Options, then select the wall art. I think the UANL with the article was in the 30s.

BTW, Nol, I made the wallset for Neverwinter Nights - Offline at the Coral B and Fire Bricks slots here: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2344.0.

I forgot to cut off the bottom row of diagonals for the slot 0 wall, since gray appears to be poking out of my altar. I used a shortened wall for the 0 slot and overlays for the others. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

You are awesome... the NWN-Offline Wall Set Thread has pretty much everything. Are they available in drop-in TLB format?

@Ray - If you copy and paste the files 8X8D1003.TLB and 8X8D2003.TLB into any design, they will override Adobe set#1 and Adobe set #2. Here's the link:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/art/w/wall_tpl.txt
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/art/w/wall_tpl.zip
Most newer wall sets use the drop-in TLB format. You can rename them to replace any wall set. See this thread by Olivier Leroux:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1000.0

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:55:09 PM by Nol Drek »

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »

Thanks, guys!!!

I'm bookmarking this thread so I won't have to bounce my head off the wall again.  This has been hounding me for, literally, years now!

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
Here are the 8x8D TLBs from NWN-O, including the fixed temple TLB. Note, that at the above thread  I will be listing all 37 wallsets, starting from number 1, with complete wallsets. Some of these have to be split into two because of size and the fact they tend to have different far-range secondary walls (the first 8x8 square). If you could overlay the 1 slot this wouldn't be a problem.  8)

Most of the NWN-O wallsets aren't complete due to the size limitations of FRUA. They wiped out all my events when they were larger.  :(

Wallsets 1-4 were made 20 days ago, I just forgot to upload them.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:01:17 PM by GoldBoxFan »

anything