Author Topic: STICKY: Dungeon Craft Editor Feature Requests  (Read 11941 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Dungeon Craft Editor Feature Requests
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
Also, I am 90% positive that I can make wide buttons/icons work. :)

8) I hope you can make those odds!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
Also, I am 90% positive that I can make wide buttons/icons work. :)

8) I hope you can make those odds!

Me too. We've got a long 3 day weekend coming down here (library closed Sat through Mon) so maybe I'll get a chance to poke around in it then.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
What about buttons consisting of large icons with text underneath them, like in the most recent versions of MS Word? (See attached screenshot.)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
The rule of thumb here is - if it oculd be done in 2000, we can likely do it in DC.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
Changing the GUI to make it more user friendly is important. I'm glad that you guys are taking the suggestions seriously.

I mentioned a WYSIWYG type editor for textboxes. Or take the route of RPG Maker, where you can "Preview" your text boxes.

And who thought that putting tabs across the top was a good idea? Why not a scroll bar allowing me to access them all at once on the same page? 

Backdrops.  Sometimes, the colors make it impossible to see where the walls are, which makes it hard to know exactly where to drop the backdrops in the first place.

Tooltips.  This is something UA doesn't have but DC could easily do. In a Windows environment, setting some tooltips when you hover over a control would be really helpful.

I'm also of the opinion that the 3D window could be made larger.  Compared to how it looks in the game, it's hard to see.

I second all of the above Feature Requests. If you implement some of them, then the chance that Ben will write a DC module increases, which is a win/win for everyone involved.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
I have to agree with you. :D

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
Here is a mock-up of backdrop placement graphics.

Note:  I used my modified palette (brighter & higher contrast for use on CRT monitors by old geezers) instead of the default palette.

Back0 is the current setup.
Back1 uses the current 'bars' moved inward by 1 pixel.

The 1 pixel of separation helps me tell the wall from the backdrop, but I'm using a low res monitor so the picture is bigger.  How does it look to you?

Edit:  Heh.  Might as well upload the ones that show up.  PCX out, PNG in.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:53:29 PM by nologgie »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
I wasn't really planning on sharing this any time soon, but since this part of it is ready, here's what I was thinking. The map is of the tutorial town. :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »
Both of these options make it easier to see what's going on...so I heartily approve.  Now, if they would only become reality.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »
I like it!  I did one with triangles too, but didn't know if you'd be up to changing the shape of the graphics and using 4 per cell rather than two.

As a comparison, here is a copy of yours modified so the backdrop graphics dont touch the wall graphics.  It makes more of a difference for me with dark or close colors.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
I honestly don't know if the triangles are feasible or not, but I don't see why not. The lines are chosen by using a very simple mask, which if I'm not mistaken could probably be adapted to a slightly more complex one.

I have also thought about making some space between the triangles and the walls.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
"I don't see why not," has gotten me in trouble many times.  Probably a lack of vision augmented by beer goggles.  I hope this time yours works out well.  :D

Here is a mock-up of entry point placement graphics, with the default palette this time.

The current background is set to color 8, as is entry point 8 which is just above the arrow.

EPoint1 shows the background is set to color 1 (black), and the entry point markers set to colors 2-9 instead of 1-8.

I can't find where the background color is set in the source code, but if you can it should be a pretty easy fix.  (I'm still lousy at reading code.)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
I'm sure I've said some things about DC in the last week that are going to come back to haunt me. :)

Remind me about all of this in December. :D Now, I don't have the time to go spelunking in the code. ;)

Edited to actually respond to something:

I like the idea of using 2 through 9 instead of 1 through 8. I would also really like to not have dark red be the background color. I think black should be the color for all of them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:16:48 PM by manikus »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »
I would also really like to not have dark red be the background color. I think black should be the color for all of them.

Thanks for actually responding, O Novelist!  I heartily agree.  Here is a mock-up for zone placement that further illustrates the point.  ("Take THAT ya dead horse!")  Wall slot 8 is impossible to pick out.

Of course the same will happen if designers put a wall in the first slot (black) of a series, so we should probably advise against it in a "Getting Started" guide. 

Perhaps we could increase the 'coded' colors to 17 and reserve black for 'Empty'?  I'm not sure that's possible without overhauling the setup.  Best see how the triangle thing works out before considering this too deeply.  It could be complicated.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »
I think I like Tom's triangles for backdrop placement -- the black line does make it slightly easier to look at.