Author Topic: Castle Greyhawk  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Castle Greyhawk
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:48 AM »
Yes I have met them, I am not sure if I fought them but I think I have cleared most of the dungeons till now. I will probably return with a higher level party and do everything again :) and probably from now on will archive all my saves too, for keeping track of the progress. That way I will know what happened and where. I wish there is somkething like that in DC to be able to comment saves and archieve them in different folders and by different names. I hope it will be possible one day :D, till now I think it will be better to just do it manualy :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »
Well here is my party from this module leveled up http://sagac.weebly.com/company-6.html This second try that they didn't make it but I can't say it wasn't fun running this module. I plan to return someday, or after finishing Dark Tower which I hope will not be too hard for my a bit low level party for that adventure. In any case they will be doing this module again :D

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
I'm currently playing this module myself.
I really enjoyed it until I entered the level after the three chefs. Then both the difficulty and silliness reached a new height. The fight against a Blue Dragon, a Storm Giant and their cronies was really brutal, and the fight against the Large Iron Golem in the arena (if you stay and watch the fight) is impossible, since there has not been a single +3 weapon to be found so far.
Also, all the references to American popular culture went over my head. I recognized Indian Jones, but what the hell was up with that set of rooms with a pig like orc, a dao and the bugbear? And those Slaad in trenchcoats? Dragnet or something?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 03:38:04 AM »
True there are some hard parts and it should be comedic adventure, first one i played to be honest. I still want to finish that one though. There is more info on wiki about it including description of levels, and it seems i ended up on level 7. Also there is a good explanation about used NPCs whom they are refering to.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:57:24 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »
Also, all the references to American popular culture went over my head. I recognized Indian Jones, but what the hell was up with that set of rooms with a pig like orc, a dao and the bugbear? And those Slaad in trenchcoats? Dragnet or something?

Porky Orc, Daffy Dao, and Bugsbear Bunny are references to the "Loony Tunes" series of cartoons featuring Bugs Bunny.

The Slaad in trenchcoats work for the Nice Slaad Agency (NSA). This is a reference to the U.S. National Security Agency, a government agency in charge of surveillance and "intelligence".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »

Porky Orc, Daffy Dao, and Bugsbear Bunny are references to the "Loony Tunes" series of cartoons featuring Bugs Bunny.

Duh, I should have recognized that.

The Slaad in trenchcoats work for the Nice Slaad Agency (NSA). This is a reference to the U.S. National Security Agency, a government agency in charge of surveillance and "intelligence".

Oh, that simple...

Anyway, things picked up after that. Really enjoyed the Three Chefs part. The Beehive is rather busy, though. No way to make a beeline to the exit.

All in all this is a very slick module; good writing (but I guess that's due to the original authors), no errors so far, and very nice artwork.
Even thought it's silly, it still has good level and encounter design, so it doesn't rely on just a few funny gags, which is often the case when games/module tries to be funny.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »
  If you kept the Helm of Teleportation (from the vending machine on the previous level) it can come in very handy in the fall back movement.

No-o-o-o-o-o-h! I threw it away, thinking it was junk.  :violent1:

The 'big' combat prior to Aunt bee's chamber only happens once.  After that you'll only face 12 giant bees.  Don't let your front rank attack during this combat, just let the second rank kill these 12.  If you don't have any invisibility rings, try to kill the bees using only your 4th and 6th characters.  I know this may be difficult.

When the Aunt Bee battle starts, retreat into the corridor to the southwest and form your combat line to limit the number of attackers.  This may require delaying your invisible characters to screen the movement of the visible characters.  Save your AOE spells until a targetable area gets pretty full.  It can make for a long battle, but it should be winnable.  After the B-Men and giant bees are killed, all that's left is to kill Aunt Bee.  You can get 4 melee attackers on her if one has the Helm of Teleportation to get behind her.  A fighter with high dex and strength could make good use of the fine long bow and +2 arrows found earlier.  (I hope you still have the arrows.)

Or you can try a completely different strategy.  Good luck!   :D

I managed to beat Aunt Bea on second try.
I "cheated" slightly by casting Haste from scroll before taking the final step.
Then I had my Ranger (weakest of my fighter types) using the Wand of Fireballs on the group of B-Men to the left. My Cleric blocked as many as he could of the B-Men to the right, while being in position to set up backstabs for my Fighter/Thief. My F/T could have used that Helmet of Teleportation, but instead he quaffed an Invisibilty Potion to be able to sneak around the B-Men and come up on them from behind.
My Mage had already used up his Fireball and Cloud Kill spells, so he provided backup by casting a few Stinking Clouds and also setting up backstabs on the B-Men.
By the time all her minions were dead the Haste spell had expired, but I was eventually able to kill her. Wands of Missiles were more effective against her than I had thought.
So on second try I beat Aunt Bea with no losses.
My guys were level 6-7. I used four of the pregens, and they have better stats than my generated characters. You really need all the advantages you can get in this module.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:19:16 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
I got stomped on the eighth (and last?) level against a party of two Glazebru, two Mariliths, and two rat demons spewing Lightning Bolts. I already moved straight throught the Burger world to avoid random encounters. And one of the fortresses I visited had some Profits with a Charm Gaze. For some reason my guys nearly always fail their saves against Charm Gaze, even though having +2-4 Ring or Cloaks of Protection as well as Stones of Good Luck.  Dispel Magic fails, and my own Charm Person usually fails, so against four gazers I have little chance. So no grinding before the last level.
I finally found a use for thay Sword vs E ,M or X, though, but the Mariliths hit so incredibly hard that my guy wielding the sword doesn't get in enough attacks on his own, evwn while hasted.
This module is brutal.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:14:15 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

anything