Author Topic: FRUA with gulikoza's DosBox shader support  (Read 2249 times)

Offline vaustein

FRUA with gulikoza's DosBox shader support
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
Recently, while researching how to enable 3DFX Glide extensions for older games running on newer OS's, I discovered the Gulikoza fork of the x86 emulator DosBox. Not only does it support 3DFX Glide extensions, but it also includes support for about 40 shaders. The shader programs apply a custom filter to each frame in real time, adding some interesting effect such as upscaling (SuperSai, HQ2X), CRT scanlines, or color effects (Cartoon, Sketch).

The "Sketch" shader tries to create an ink-on-paper effect, which seems like a natural fit for a game like FRUA, which is rooted in the tabletop AD&D 2nd Ed experience. Applying the "Sketch" shader with scaling mode "hardware3x" and output mode "direct3D",  I launched DosBox and loaded the FRUA module "World Domination". My party went straight to the City of the Undead, where they were immediately attacked by zombies and a skeleton. I think the attached screenshot turned out rather well. It looks like a decent amateur artist's rendering of zombies boiling out of a swamp.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:05:59 AM by vaustein »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: FRUA with gulikoza's DosBox shader support
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
Thanks for posting this! I'll have to give it a look.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
That's pretty neat!

Offline Pinkertonius

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »
Try this one...it's a little more up to date and has a menu you can change the shaders on the fly

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/