Author Topic: Forgetting Terry Prachett  (Read 992 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Forgetting Terry Prachett
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
This has been bugging me for months now so maybe if I write about it I'll quit thinking about it. I forgot I read 19 books by the same author over the past 20 years! Amazing, huh? And I wouldn't have realized it if a movie I was watching didn't have a trailer for the Hogfather, a two part British TV show.

I liked the trailer so much I almost bought the book, but then didn't want to spoil the movie. Good thing, that. I knew I had two collections of Prachett books from the Science Fiction Book Club.  Rincewind the Wizard (or is it Wizzard) had The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery and Eric. These I remember reading. I bought them as a test, read the first one through and stopped partway through the second one. After I picked it up again almost a year later I actually ordered the second book Tales from Discworld (Pyramids, Moving Pictures and Small Gods).

After watching the Hogfather DVD I wanted to reread the Prachett novels. I found Rincewind easily, but looking for the second book I stumbled upon copies of The Hogfather and The Truth. Good thing I hadn't bought the Hogfather earlier, huh? So I started buying the rest of the books 6 or 7 at a time starting with the oldest. Eventually I got all 39.

Imagine my surprise when I realized I had read them before and didn't remember it. Apparently I went to the local library and read every book they had. Then got them as they came out, buying The Hogfather when that one didn't show up. And buying The Truth because I didn't want to wait. For some reason I forgot to buy them after that.

What makes this amazing is how good the Prachett books are. And that I am a Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut fan. And that I tend to slip into parody or satire when writing. I remember reading all the Lous L'Amour books, all the Terry Brooks books except Hook and The Phantom Menace, all the Michael Moorcock books up to 1990 something. But I forgot Terry Prachett despite playing D&D for 30+ years in various forms.

Hopefully I'll remember I read them this time. I'm on the 25th book which I should finish tonight. Then I can start the 11 I haven't read before. Watching the Hogfather movie actually made the books better. I always loved his books with death as a main character. But seeing the Unseen University and Nobby in action made the series funnier.

Now maybe I can get back to my designs.

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Forgetting Terry Prachett
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:12:06 AM »
Cool I had about 20 Discworld books in paper and they are really great :) though lately I have been playing Grayhawk which reminded me of Discworld a lot, hm well it is very good place to start a campaign there which for me would led to a Spelljamming ships and another worlds. Anyway I was thinking how cool it would be for UA to have groups of adventures for worlds (like Planescape, Grayhawk, Dragonlance and other fantasy worlds) sorted by levels (like 1-5, 6-10...) which then they could be playable :)

Anyway here is a map of GH (with locations) just for a reminder :) and well a Spelljammer site with lots of cool info and also Universal Multiversal Timeline of Fantasy Worlds and on that site there are really cool links to other worlds sites.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: Forgetting Terry Prachett
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
I don't think Pratchett ever played FRUA, but he was a big fan of Thief, and used to be a regular in the Thief newsgroup on Usenet, discussing fanmade missions.

anything