Author Topic: "Winter" mod contestants...???  (Read 2784 times)

Offline hans

"Winter" mod contestants...???
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
Hi, everybody! 

Just a few more days to the deadline. 

If you're working to complete a mod entry, please let us know by posting your intentions. 

I am working on my mod, but, unfortunately, it will not be done by the deadline.  Nor even within a charitable grace extension, I fear.  Most likely, I anticipate a Feburary or early March release. 

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: "Winter" mod contestants...???
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »
Well, I just uploaded Haptooth Tower after two days of playtesting. Probably won't be visible until January. Not much snow in it. But it is there.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:47:24 AM »
I'm working on something as well, but I fear I won't meet the deadline either - too many family celebrations in a row.

What about extending the deadline?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
Not really an official UANL contest, so can't do anything about that. I had the deadline at the 14th of January with late-comers to the 31st. And votes for the contest on 28 February to determine the winner. But I think Hans is in control of this one. I just want it done by the end of February so I can put it in the next UANL. The next UANL after that is June or later. Long time to wait to see your name in print.  :-\

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
It depends very much on my progress in the coming two days if I can complete my design by December 31st. I'm quite sure that I will be able to complete it until January 15th...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
Since there is no snow I decided I wasn't going to enter this contest and jhope to actually finish this mod. my first, sometime within my life time.

FBN66

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »
Not really an official UANL contest, so can't do anything about that. I had the deadline at the 14th of January with late-comers to the 31st. And votes for the contest on 28 February to determine the winner. But I think Hans is in control of this one. I just want it done by the end of February so I can put it in the next UANL. The next UANL after that is June or later. Long time to wait to see your name in print.  :-\

I don't consider myself in "control"   :tongue3: -- as the contest's inception was a group thingee (all rules subjected to consensus).   :wav:

The deadline is, of course, the 31st.  A grace period, however, was left ambiguous in the announcements.  I started this thread (and its mirror on the UA mailing list) in order to discover what sort of need is out there for such a grace period, now.  It would be nice to have multiple entries to a contest -- failing which, we might want to reconsider having future ones...    :sad3:

Understanding the UANL's need for closure on this one before Feb 28, perhaps we should extend the grace period's deadline to a definite, hard, rock-solid Feb 21st -- which would leave a full week for judging (by a quickly assembled Poll, if nothing else).  Hopefully, such a grand extension would allow 2 or 3 more entries to get in, making the "Winter" contest look a bit more respectable in the eyes of UANL posterity. 

Opinions...?   :confused1:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:02:05 PM by hans »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
Um, sure. Feb 21st is Mardi Gras,  :hello2: :icon_joker:  :occasion16: :occasion14: :occasion5: :color: :icon_jokercolor: :hello2: which is probably highly appropriate, although I'm not sure just how. Lent, maybe.

Also, the world isn't scheduled to end until Dec 21st, so that leaves 10 full months for the winner to enjoy the accolades! Minus the time taken to select the winner, of course.

Good plan!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
Taking the day off, I just made the un-event-ful maps of The Retracting Ice, which is definitely a correctly themed design. It starts at the bottom of a glacier and continues on and inside the glacier. I might have it done in two weeks.

As for the UANL, it is on a 4-month schedule now as long as I'm editing it. I could have all the contest entries in by the end of February and then say who won in June. Of course, everyone here will know who won in March.

But if you want me to consider this to be a UANL contest and set rules, then I would set the following:

Design in DC or one of the UAs. Design has or mentions ice or snow.
Any design that takes over two hours to play must be in by 1 February 2012 before dawn your time to be uploaded.
Any design that takes two hours or less time to play has until 14 February 2012 before dawn your time to be uploaded.
Winner will be determined by March 1st by popular consensus.
Uploads to Rosedragon or the FRUA forum, except DC designs which can upload anywhere with a link to the address in the FRUA forum.

As far as UANL contests go the February issue will have the following (for anyone who wants a head start):

Any art or music for arabian, maztican or western theme submitted by 14 June 2012 (for UANL46).
Any design for arabian, maztican or western theme submitted by 1 October 2012 (for UANL47).

Arabian could be oriental-arabian. Maztican could be Olmec, Incan, Aztec, Mayan or other native American-type pre-1600s.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
Haptooth Tower is now on Rose Dragon. BTW, found a typo. If you try one option it says guns instead of gems. Should have used GEOTEXT to check all the text instead of trying it manually.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
I have completed "Helmetlands: Cold Trail" and will upload it after a short playtest phase. And then, I will play Haptooth Tower... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
Any design that takes over two hours to play must be in by 1 February 2012 before dawn your time to be uploaded.
Any design that takes two hours or less time to play has until 14 February 2012 before dawn your time to be uploaded.
Winner will be determined by March 1st by popular consensus.
Uploads to Rosedragon or the FRUA forum, except DC designs which can upload anywhere with a link to the address in the FRUA forum.

I've passed this along to UA Mailing Listers.  ;)

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »
Here's the uploaded version with text corrections and title changes. Beware, using escape to get out of the titles changes the colors of the frames, gen and always. So wait it out or use enter.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
Olivier has found some minor problems in Cold Trail, which I have now solved, I think. That means, I will upload a "final" version during the next days...

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »
I should also have The Retracting Ice in playtesting by Saturday, barring a power outage. And hopefully uploaded by monday. Then I can see if I can get Yuki-On-Na/Wu Jen and March done in time. These two would be two hours or less modules. I'm not going to do the winter western. Might as well save that for the western contest.