Author Topic: "Tyrant of Terrendar" Module Uploaded  (Read 1953 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
"Tyrant of Terrendar" Module Uploaded
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
By the gracious permission of Glen Sprigg, his long-overdue and unfinished module "The Tyrant of Terrendar" was uploaded to the FTP site this afternoon.

Some of you may remember his prelude module: "The Sport of Tyrants."  This is the epic module that was to follow.  I was playtesting it many years ago (in fact, this is Playtest version 3, according to the notes).  The module was never completed, and Glen says that he has since lost the module due to a hard drive failure.  After this many years, he says he will probably never finish it.

There is much that is playable about this module, and even in it's unfinished state, you all might enjoy it.  One interesting aspect of it is that it uses a "Journal" with actual Journal Entries (just like the old Gold-Box games).

From the Journal, here is a write-up by Glen about the background of the module:

Welcome to the land of Terrendar, a quiet little spot in the Realms that has gone unnoticed by the more powerful denizens of Faerun.  Little of consequence happens in this small land, and great heroes and villains are few and far between.  Or at least they used to be...
        Terrendar has been ruled by an evil man for over eighty years, whose power has been unchallenged and undisputed.  For the most part his rule has been quiet, based on the strict laws and restrictions he has imposed on the people.  Those who dissent are quickly gathered up, never to be found again on this world.  Now, however, the power of Tyrel the Tyrant has been challenged...
        The Tyrant of Terrendar is an epic adventure set in a quiet coastal land anywhere in the Forgotten Realms.  Appropriate locations include the coastal lands south of Baldur's Gate, or around the Sea of Fallen Stars.  The characters begin as low-level members of a small rebellion, progressing in power and experience until they are able to challenge the Tyrant himself. There are several plots to follow throughout the adventure, many strange lands to explore, and different quests to accomplish.
        This design follows directly from my first design, "The Sport of Tyrants", a simple design dealing with the heroes' escape from the dungeons of the Tyrant.  The characters from that adventure can be transferred directly to this one, or new characters can be created.  If so, there is a short background section for new characters following this introduction.  In addition, there is a pregenerated party that can be used to begin play directly.

Additionally, here is a write-up from his "playtest" notes that explains what is not finished:

THE TYRANT OF TERRENDAR (playtest version 3)
By Glen Sprigg

Okay, here's the scoop.  This is still a long way off from being ready for distribution.  But there's still a lot to do; you can fit quite a lot of stuff in these if you try hard enough :-)

A few points:

1. Yes, I know the monster names have * and # all over them.  These are to let me know which monsters and art are going to be in the final version.

2. Some of the wall and backdrop art will seem weird, because I haven't been able to get the hacks done right yet.  As for the monster art and other images, I think I've got most of them right, but if you run across a monster that has nothing to do with the art, let me know.

3. Of course, this design is totally bug-free and perfect in every way :-) If it isn't, I shall fall on my mouse. (Incidentally, should the old expression 'the pen is mightier than the sword' be updated to reflect the computer age?)

4. You'll know you're at the end of the main quest when you are asked to recover the Star Gem.  You can't, not yet.  You can, however, continue to wander around and explore any towns and villages you haven't got around to yet.  Tyrel's Tower is only partially complete, and you can't do much in it at all yet.  So don't go there.

5. There is still no fifth point.

6. The pregenerated party is optional; if you've got my 'Sport of Tyrants' design, you can use those PCs, since they're the same ones.  Otherwise, go with your own (duh!).

7. I've completed half of the dungeons so far, but there are still a lot of areas unexplored.  For now, there isn't anywhere you can't actually get to, but some places will seem pretty empty.

8. There might be a couple of journal entries and tavern tales unaccounted for; if you come across them, let me know; I think I've caught them all by now, but I might have missed one or two.

9. Not much else to say; hope you like it!

Look for it soon on the FTP under the name "terren.dsn.zip"
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: "Tyrant of Terrendar" Module Uploaded
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:10 AM »
Yay! I enjoyed the prelude and am a sucker for modules that allow me to use characters that I had used in a previous game. :D

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
It'd been so long ago, I'd forgotten that I'd been one of Glen's original playtesters on this. 

I wonder what my feedback was like...

Offline Paddi Whisperleaf

• World-spanning gnome of the UA realms
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
You know, I still remember what I wanted to put in the rest of the dungeons.  Theoretically, I could get this thing finished...if I could run UA on my computer, if I even had UA...which I don't anymore.  :(

If for any reason someone has the time and would like to finish this off, I'd be happy to supply some missing details.

The frustrating part is that this module was very close to being finished several years back...then I accidentally DELETED the bloody thing.  Don't ask me how or why.  I was down to about five dungeons left to do, including the finale...and I blew it up.

There was a lot of fun in this adventure, both building it and playtesting it.  *sigh*

Oh, and this design predates Paddi's first appearance, which is why she doesn't show up anywhere in Terrendar. :)
An amateur practices until he gets it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »
BTW...where is the FTP to find these adventures?  If I can somehow get UA back and running, I just might try to tackle the remainder of this monstrosity.
An amateur practices until he gets it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »
BTW...where is the FTP to find these adventures?  If I can somehow get UA back and running, I just might try to tackle the remainder of this monstrosity.

It's in the recent uploads section of Rosedragon, right here.  And here's the text file.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »
Okay, I've got FRUA again.  I just have to get the patch working so UAShell likes it, and I'm up and running.

And so, I'm going to take this opportunity to announce that Tyrant of Terrendar WILL BE COMPLETED.  So I'd like a couple of volunteer playtesters to check out the current version that Ben uploaded, so I can get back on track.  I'm already putting together my list of what still needs to be done.

It might take me half a year or more, but I'm going to stick with this bloody thing until it's finished.  For once, I'm going to complete something.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
That is good news, Glenn!

If you see any of the VGA'd stuff I have posted and want to use it, lemme know and I'll pcx-frua them up for you.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »
If you see any of the VGA'd stuff I have posted and want to use it, lemme know and I'll pcx-frua them up for you.

Not to go off topic...

But, even if Glen can't use them, I wouldn't mind having copies of those, if you want to spare them.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:28 PM »
No problem. I have not actually made PCX files except for a couple of them. My plan was to work through the PIC?.TLB files and convert as many as needed.

I've been working on the gnoll on and off today. He is nearing completion.

With some recent health issues, I am not supposed to sit for long periods of time, so i work on one for 15-20 minutes, then go do something else, come back work on it some more, etc. If I tried to work on my mod, I'd wind up sitting too long, so this is a nice way to still be creative, do something FRUA related, and not go nuts watching television all day. hehe

Offline Sir Baskum

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
Sigh - I have spent over 4 hours on this module and like it.  It's too bad it's not complete.  I got permanently stuck in the Sauhaugin city.  Even after beating the main fight there and retrieving the all important item I got one of the NPC's telling me we can't leave w/o that important item.  LOL!   

Glenn the mod looks great.  Hope if time permits you will go back and fix it up.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:57:33 AM »
Last I heard, Glen was going back to work on it.  I hope that he has had some success!  ;D

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
I'm moving, albeit somewhat slowly, but it's coming along.

Thanks for the notice about the Sahuaghin City bug; I'll have to fix that ASAP.

Has anyone else been playing this design lately?  If anyone has any more feedback or bugs, I'll be happy to hear about them.

Glen

anything