Author Topic: art requests for Dinonykos  (Read 45213 times)

Offline arelim

Re: art requests for Dinonykos
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »
Well ... if you want to get that technical ... why would the people of faerun or greyhawk speak english and and have english based names for locations or animals ... like 'greyhawk' ... even if they had an animal like our hawk, why would they call it that? why would they call the color that results from an equal combination of the darkest pigment (black) and the lightest pigment (white) a color called 'grey'? Why isn't 'greyhawk' called 'mawukk' ... in this case ... ma = hawk and wukk = grey ... so it would really be hawkgrey ... but why would they use english grammar?

I think my point is that logic or rational reasons for naming things in a fantasy game really aren't necessary ... unless you need them to make yourself feel good about the decision ... ;) ...

The only thing I think is really important is having WORLD logic ... the people in a fantasy setting don't have to use OUR logic ... but they should use their own ... so what makes rational sense to those people? Who discovered the cirtters? were they named by an earlier civilization in the history of the world? did 'modern' people rename them? were they named by the wizards who studied them? (like our dinosaurs were named by scientists - so wizards might use pseudo-scientific names) ... or were they named by the common people? what kind of naming conventions do they have? If you've got a velocaraptor like blue dino ... Barbarians might name it a 'sharp tooth' or 'walking death'... but a rural farmer might call it a 'blue biter' ... and a more sophisticated cityperson might call it a 'Cerulean Dragonlizard' ...  and a mage might call it a "Dracorapterus" ...

So know your world and make it consistent ... beyond that, its whatever you want.

Honestly, I don't know enough about grey hawk to offer any suggestions about consistency in naming ... the only TSR world I really know anything about is Krynn ... and I stopped caring after Dragons of Summer flame and Saga came out. I do know about about other places that were featured in games ... like dark sun and forgotten realms ... but only what was in the games. So yeah.

Thats my thirty cents.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
I think it's also about having a common vocabulary to a certain extent. All the English speakers most likely know what a tyrannosaurus rex is, so using that name makes sense even if it's how it would be named in a game world. But, place names, well that could be a chance for a designer to have some fun, too. :D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 01:23:17 AM »
Its not necessary to re-invent the wheel (or language, as it were) to make this realistic. One would be proficient in most words of their own native language and so you could be allowed to use english so that the player understands as long as the language used was logical for the setting (some fantasy character talking about cars, better have an explanation handy....)

Perhaps invent some of the more ancient words or words of the highly trained (think medical language, for example). The place where you might want to get technical with invented words/language is where the "default" language ends and a different one begins. Another country or race or society. And cultures that exist side by side interchange technology, ideas, and words so there may be some overlap to this border as well.

If you google "fantasy language" there are sites devoted to creating your own language if you want to go that far. And, having more than 1 language allows for actually having a use for spells like "comprehend languages"

ST the comprehensive

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:34 AM »
Stimulating discussion, guys... :)

One reason why I am happy to do some dinosaur icons is that the world on which "Helmetlands" takes place is inhabited by dinosaur-like forms, so I can use the icons also in that world (with slight changes). Since the world is inhabited by two totally different intelligent species, one mammal-. one dinosaur-like, I also had to wonder what they would call the native dinosaur-like animals, and my results got in the same direction as arelims suggestions.
Furthermore, I use latin and greek roots for most of the names (characters, animals) in the one culture, and japanese roots for the names in the other (thanks again to Uatu for giving me some hints! :) ).

E.g., Ankylosaurus/Euoplocephalus is called 'Hoplokopp' by one group, and 'Sokokubi' by the other.

However, English will symbolise the jargon that all intelligent creatures can speak, otherwise, it would be to complicated, I think. :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 01:11:27 PM »
I have been using a lot of Greek in my ideas lately (not just word parts) b/c I've recently needed to research Greek for a project unrelated to DC. :)

One of the reasons that I asked for dinosaur icons, I must admit, was because I knew that they likely fit into your gaming world, DInonykos. :D With dinosaur icons, maybe we'll see some more small designs along the "History of the Helmetlands" type theme. :D :D :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
One of the reasons that I asked for dinosaur icons, I must admit, was because I knew that they likely fit into your gaming world, DInonykos. :D With dinosaur icons, maybe we'll see some more small designs along the "History of the Helmetlands" type theme. :D :D :D

No more small designs from my side. Once the Praeludium is completed, I will focus on the "epic" design. However, I would also like to see a small design with dinosaurs... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »

No more small designs from my side. Once the Praeludium is completed, I will focus on the "epic" design. However, I would also like to see a small design with dinosaurs... :D

I didn't mean before the Epic;, but maybe between the first and second part or even after it's all done, you might think to yourself, "well, I have all these wonderful dinosaurs to use..." ;)
Or maybe you'll make a little bit more known about your world and others might use your art to tell their own stories set there. :D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
Well ... if you want to get that technical ... why would the people of faerun or greyhawk speak english and and have english based names for locations or animals ... like 'greyhawk' ... even if they had an animal like our hawk, why would they call it that? why would they call the color that results from an equal combination of the darkest pigment (black) and the lightest pigment (white) a color called 'grey'? Why isn't 'greyhawk' called 'mawukk' ... in this case ... ma = hawk and wukk = grey ... so it would really be hawkgrey ... but why would they use english grammar?

To get even more technical...

All of the characters in Greyhawk speak a language called "Common". As a player, I speak in English, but it is understood that the characters are speaking the Common Tongue. Luckily, Dwarves, Elves, and Men all speak Common, as do most of the intelligent monsters, which makes it possible for them to communicate despite being from different countries and different species.

The problem with some Dinosaur names is not that they are in English, or even that they are learned borrowings from Greek and Latin, it's that they refer to specific places in the modern world which do not help the suspension of disbelief.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
The denizens of the Forgotten Realms (not counting the Far East) also speak common. I have been lead to believe that Oerth and Faerun share a common common, if you will. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 07:11:06 AM »
I didn't mean before the Epic;, but maybe between the first and second part or even after it's all done, you might think to yourself, "well, I have all these wonderful dinosaurs to use..." ;)
Or maybe you'll make a little bit more known about your world and others might use your art to tell their own stories set there. :D
Personally, I am not much of a dinosaur fan (with some exceptions), so I won't do a design focusing on them. Still, I do not worry about dinosaur icons to be used. Sooner or later, somebody will do a Jurassic-Park design... :D

If I really do another short design between "Helmet Menace" and "Helmet Wars", it will probably be another prequel, or a short design from the sight of a Helmettiger (in opposite to the main arc, which features Martens as the main characters).

To make it more attractive for others to use my art, I will post more pics and sprites featuring "classical" RPG creatures and characters. I have practiced a little bit and think I am now at  least slighty better with drawing human(oid)s... :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
My "time travel" idea is not dino-centric, it's just one of the times the party will get to adventure in. :)

I am excited at the mention that you will be doing more portraits/small pics and sprites of a "classical" AD&D theme. I think that relatively shortly (if not already), it will be possible to make designs just using your art. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
My "time travel" idea is not dino-centric, it's just one of the times the party will get to adventure in. :)

While I will surely do some dinosaurs from the list (the Triceratops is almost finished), I am definitely more interested in doing palaeozoic animals. For some reason, I think someone already did a Dunkleosteus/Dinichthys. Or maybe I only discussed with Uatu about it? Don't remember anymore. In any case, if your time travel idea includes older intervals (Cambrian, Ordovician or whatever), I would definitely like to do some fitting icons. And maybe Uatu does some additional Neogene animals sooner or later?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Plus, I will get around to using the couple dozen dinosaur models I have acquired over the years. I also models for a mastodon, smilodon and I think a woolly rhinoceros. :)

I may end up using all of my own, who knows, but if I use your walls, Dinonykos, I would like to use your icons. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
I kept the Triceratops quite simple. Maybe the skin should have a kind of armor, or even feathers... I don't know. For the related Psittacosaurus, It is quite sure that it had feathers at the tail...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
Wow! These are awesome, Dinonykos. :D

I bet you could very easily do variations on this (armor, feathers, etc) if you wanted to. :) How did you decide on the color of the skin/hide? Is there a relatively "simple" internet resource I could look at for current theories on coloration of dinosaurs? I would hate to make all of mine different shades of grey. :D

anything