Author Topic: Pining after a module  (Read 4002 times)

Offline vaustein

Pining after a module
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
Have you ever been so absorbed in the atmosphere of a FRUA module that, after finishing it, you wished you could relive the experience you just had? Or, to go deeper, have you yearned to experience it more fully than pseudo-3D graphics and make-believe? Were you sad or depressed that you couldn't?

An article written shortly after the theatrical release of the Avatar mentioned viewers who became depressed at the dissonance between the fantasy world of the movie and real life. I can relate, since I felt that way after playing a few classic PC games and a couple of console RPGs. I remember picking up The Secret of Monkey Island for $5 at Target on a Saturday, installing it on my cutting-edge 486DX2/66, finishing it two Saturdays later, and asking myself "Why did this game have to end?"

In another thread, I praised Ray Dyer's "The Realm", particularly his conversion of the original Ravenloft. However, my fondest experience with FRUA was Realm Game29, the conversion of the D&D Expert module "Isle of Dread". I really got into the story because I empathized with the merchant master who could have accepted penurious, mediocre retirement but instead gambles everything on one last toss of the bones. The merchant's portrait and accompanying description of his circumstances strongly convey an aging man trying to hide the pain and humiliation of being reduced to this, knowing what his life will be like if the expedition fails.

Then the action shifts to a beautifully-rendered tropical paradise (brilliant use of outdoor combat artwork in the jungles), the hills and crags leading to the deadlands, the volcano crossing, and finally the journey into the magma core to face the ancient evil. The merchant master's story is paid off nicely by the upbeat ending, making it even more satisfying.

The experience was worth every minute. While I'd like to experience it again, merely reiterating an experience in the hope of reliving the feelings is an illusion. Feel free to post in this thread if you've felt like this after playing a FRUA module.

Aforementioned thread: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1057.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:24:33 PM by vaustein »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Pining after a module
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »
I wished that every hans-module were longer than it was.

I also wished that Olivier Leroux would expand the world he created in his "Two Cities" mod.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
I also wished that Olivier Leroux would expand the world he created in his "Two Cities" mod.

:) :-\ :-[

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »

:) :-\ :-[

So that means it won't happen?  :crybaby2:
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:12 PM »
Never say never. I already thought up some rough sketches regarding plot and setting for a sequel once and I actually created a title sequence for it. It's just that it probably won't happen anytime soon, as I'm currently too distracted by other things and not inspired enough to do a full UA design. And I fear I might be too critical and not have enough self-discipline to finish anything on my own without any stimulating pressure. Everything I ever released so far was part of a community project, be it contest or teamwork. And none of it had a complete story either, come to think of it. Maybe it would be easier to do short (fragmentary?) installments instead of a full design?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »
Maybe it would be easier to do short (fragmentary?) installments instead of a full design?

That's a very dangerous trap.  When you do something in installments, it's easy to lose momentum.  No one knows this better than me.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
...And I fear I might be too critical and not have enough self-discipline to finish anything on my own without any stimulating pressure.

You might invent a pen-name under which to release mods you deem less-than-stellar... 

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
That's a very dangerous trap.  When you do something in installments, it's easy to lose momentum.  No one knows this better than me.

Someday I really do plan to release the second installment of my Major Mystery Serial.   :P 

The thing is, tho, I'm one who can appreciate an installment mod on its own merits.  Your AT1: Dark Alliances, for example, was no.1 on my Top Ten Favorite Mods list back in 2005.  http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl35/pp_topten.htm 

Offline Ray

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »

Hey, Vaustein!  Thanks again for your kind words!

I have absolutely experienced this feeling you're describing.  The most memorable, for me, was while playing Darius' incredible Ravenloft series.  I enjoyed Ship of Horror, for instance, so much that I actually wrote the entire adventure as an adventurer's journal...I think it showed up in one of the UANLs.  That wasn't a short adventure, either!   :D

I still wish I could go back to that place and play some other adventures in that world.  It was such a vibrant place, full of such memorable characters.  Darius did a lot to make those games immersive, and they totally sucked me in.  Like you described, I still find myself thinking back to those places--Like Kartakass and the Ship of Horror--when I get back into FRUA, or just contemplate running an adventure that has a more effective "punch."  For my money, those are template adventures, template that show how a great FRUA design is made; like lightning in a bottle.

Offline Knightmare

• Eltit Motsuc
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
I'm fairly new to FRAU and this site. I played the Gold Box games back in the day on the C64 but missed a few titles because they never got released on there which certainly ticked me off back then... and when I eventually got on the PC, Doom took over, then Quake, then.... etc. A couple weeks ago I ended up with an install of DosBox for the purpose of playing Daggerfall... and after that I got to thinking about the olde SSI RPG's and decided to get back into it. After playing for a bit I decided to try out James Rand's Secret of the Brotherhood... I don't know about pining but that was pretty fun... wish he would continue it. I knew it was about to end, but I really wanted to keep going. haha! Do I have to go find him and make him come out of retirement or is he still around? :P

The good thing is, I have a ton of stuff to play now.... plus I got a friggin' module idea in my brain and I keepy messin with the editor and drawing dungeons on graph paper and re-reading my olde monster manuals... ;) Plus I got this idea for a gold box style RPG in my head that's gonna make me crazy since I can't code my way out of a syntax error. :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:47:44 PM by Knightmare »
Why is the beer always gone?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
The good thing is, I have a ton of stuff to play now.... plus I got a friggin' module idea in my brain and I keepy messin with the editor and drawing dungeons on graph paper and re-reading my olde monster manuals... ;) Plus I got this idea for a gold box style RPG in my head that's gonna make me crazy since I can't code my way out of a syntax error. :P

The only cure for this syndrome is to create a FRUA module and upload it for the community to play.

And, welcome to the boards!
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum Knightmare!

Nol has already mentioned the cure. If you need any technical help translating your ideas into modules, give a shout. There are many here who are happy to help.  :)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Knightmare

• Eltit Motsuc
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:04 AM »
The only cure for this syndrome is to create a FRUA module and upload it for the community to play.

And, welcome to the boards!

Yes, I do believe you to be right. Thanks for the welcome Nol. :)

Welcome to the forum Knightmare!

Nol has already mentioned the cure. If you need any technical help translating your ideas into modules, give a shout. There are many here who are happy to help.  :)

Ahh thank you nologgie. I do have questions but first up I have to go buy more graph paper. lol
Why is the beer always gone?