Author Topic: REVIEW: Game07: Assault on Raven's Ruin (by Ray Dyer)  (Read 918 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: Game07: Assault on Raven's Ruin (by Ray Dyer)
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »
Game07: Assault on Raven's Ruin
by Ray Dyer

Reviewed by Chris Markwyn

Another in the continuing series of adaptations of classic pen-and-paper

D&D modules, "Assault on Raven's Ruin" is one of the most enjoyable designs in the "Realm." It's pretty short and can be played in a few hours, but is a fun and solid dungeon crawl. Humanoid thieves have stolen the "Scepter of Truth" from a small town and the people ask the party to retrieve the item from the ruin's of Raven's Keep, former home of the master thief Raven. Sure, it's not the most original plot ever, but since these designs are all adaptations, that's not the designer's fault.

Beyond the plot, the gameplay is fun and will provide a few hours of mayhem and excitement. The dungeon is riddled with traps and treasure. It seems well-balanced, providing a challenge for low-level parties. I only found one major bug (involving a guided tour event) and the rest seemed well-programmed. There is lots of good artwork, especially wallsets and backrdrops, that give a nice atmosphere to the dungeon, combining a crumbling atmosphere with a somewhat lived-in feeling in parts.

In all, "Assault on Raven's Ruin" should provide a few solid hours of gameplay for low-level parties, and should serve as a good introduction to the Realm for anyone who has not yet downloaded any of Ray's wonderful designs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:09:08 PM by Olivier Leroux »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: Game07: Assault on Raven's Ruin (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
Game07: Assault on Raven's Ruin
by Ray Dyer

Reviewed by Harri Polsa

I had played this game before, but it seemed like a good time to play it again, to see if my views had changed. I described it as 'inoffensive' back then, and I think the description is fitting. Still, it's a good game, worthy of the time it takes to play through. It plays nicely from start to finish, has some choices for you to make, doesn't require any help from the editor and has nice and quick combats (though I guess my party level was too high for this game).

I guess I missed this the first time I played, but there was a very nice touch in the game. If you find Raven's Journal, you'll get additional description for the rooms in the Keep. In this game, the repeated descriptions didn't bother, since the Keep was easy to navigate and most of the rooms needed only one visit.

The art quality ranges from poor to good. The title music is fitting (see, I didn't forget, just saved it for the last...)

[OL: This review was cropped from Harri's article Travels in the Realm - Part 1. To read the full story - including the fictional parts about Harri's party traveling in the Realm - use this link: http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl26/rv-relm1.htm

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:01:42 AM »
I decided to play Game07: Assault on Raven's Ruin at this time because the author, Ray Dyer, included it in his "recommended order of playing" of the "Thunder Rift" campaign (http://www.therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm).  Game07 is the only older (2012) design included in the list which is otherwise made up of ten brand new mods (Game41-Game50) created as part of the 2017's "One-Week Challenge" (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3429.0). 

I found it interesting to compare Ray's skills from across that 5 year gap, after just having played two of his latest mods (Game41 & Game43).  He has clearly improved in some areas, particularly his skill at converting art.  That much was noticeable right from seeing the older Title images.  They weren't bad, yet inferior to his newer efforts. 

One of the first things I did was to replace the Game font.  Ray's choice here seemed too sci-fi or modern, I thought. 

In all, the art for Game07 was quite mixed in quality as well as styles.  His newer mods are visually more cohesive and maintain a higher standard. 

The gameplay itself was quite gratifying.  One or two rougher edges, like a wall-placement choice (giving an edge that "cardboard-thin" look) or a spelling typo, did nothing to take away from enjoyment of exploring a well-detailed dungeon. 

I did find the fights to be pretty easy, which causes me to wonder if this might be something connected with pen-and-paper modules and their conversions to UA.  Could the strategic elements of UA's (GoldBox-style) combat engine balance differently from how p&p fights play out in their original gaming form?  If not on the whole, maybe at lower levels?  That might be worth a discussion on another board... 

On this one, I'll end by thanking Ray for having provided me, via this mod, a couple hours of good, solid fun.   :)   

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
 * This review follows the designer's advise to run the Thunder Rift series (along with game07: B10 Assault on Raven's Ruin) in a particular order.

* Party rolled: Human female Paladin LG, Dwarf male Cleric LN, Halfelf female Ranger CG, Gnome female Magic-User NN, Halfelf male Cleric/Magic-User CG, Halfling male Thief CN -- Ray's Realm allows such racial classing as part of the adventuring package and encourages his Realm players to mix in as many races and classes so as to enjoy the breadth and depth of any given adventure... so's I dids!

A word about the Thunder Rift modules: these adventures were created in 1992 (when some of us were youngers just starting to explore the game) and were meant to be a sandbox of sorts for DMs and players both new to the game.  They allowed for a lot of modification and were interconnected only by threads, to be filled and fleshed out by the DM running things, adaptable to any of the gameworlds.  As such, there is ample opportunity for Ray to put his Realmstamp upon them, which I am pleased to find to be the case.  I didn't think I would recall as much as I did about the wilderness spread of the adventures, but it didn't affect my play of them in the least.  Ray's done the project a fine service in his importation to the Realm, with custom music and graphics detailing each design individually. On to it, then!

Our intrepid party, now with bright new levels after our last cat-and-mouse game, chanced upon the village Kleine.  Of course, as soon as we set foot among the shopfronts and shanties, news of troubles-needing-attention caught our ears and didn't quite stop their echo until we'd paid a visit to the Melodious Harpy and hoisted a few there.  Someone's been to an awful lot of thieving about Kleine lately, and though it sounded as if the whole truth of it was missing a bit off the top as well, we struck a bargain with the burgo.  Off we went, into the woods to find the ruins of Raven's hidden roost and try to sort this shady business...

Ray's older work still holds up, especially with the way he set up his events and chains.  Combat arrangements are spot-on, and though there is a lot to see and do (and walk off with), you never have to see the ropes and pulleys as it were: everything worked just as intended, including some special encounters that are the offbeat off-colour hallmark of the Realm conversions.  I have this module and I would not have thought certain parts translatable to FRUA... but Ray managed it, and ably.  This was all nostalgia for me, especially the art and the situations Ray formulates with events.  Great stuff!

I accidentally left the village too soon after we celebrated our newfound notoriety (great change of events and attitudes with the npcs!), but luckily my party was able to book passage on a river trawler north and in the training hall there I [R]emoved each pc for copy/pasting into our next adventure's save directory!