Author Topic: REVIEW: GameR2: Night in Daelwyn's Rest (by Ray Dyer)  (Read 619 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
REVIEW: GameR2: Night in Daelwyn's Rest (by Ray Dyer)
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »
GameR2: Night in Daelwyn's Rest
by Ray Dyer

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

This story takes place in the realm near Specularum. You will recognize names out of the Veiled Society design. Your party is lost in the woods and stumbles onto a ruined estate. You seek shelter from the storm that rages outside as well as an evil being that has stalked you here. Once inside you discover that the place is haunted and must remove the haunting before you will be allowed to leave, alive! This is a tragic story and very nicely done. The horror of the story unfolds in a very scary looking backdrop that leaves you wanting more. Ray & Maureen always produce excellent designs and this is no exception. Thanks for all the work you do to make FRUA a living game.

Mycroft: 10

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: GameR2: Night in Daelwyn's Rest (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »
This was an excellent little module, where you explore an old mansion and unravel the tragic story of its former inhabitants. It felt more like an Aventure/Horror game than a CRPG, though.
For me a story in a FRUA designs seems to work better when it's not character driven, but instead is about unraveling the background story, which in this case was well told.

My only gripe with this design was that it lacks a ReadMe. I thought that the results of the Look command depending on the direction you face was a very nice touch, and I can't recall ever seeing that in a GB game or FRUA module before, so it would have been nice to know beforehand since getting anywhere in the game depends on it.

Also, the ending seems to indicate it should be played before Assault on Raven's Ruin, but that module is listed before Night in Daelwyn's Rest. The latter is harder combatwise, though.