Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 94723 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 03:31:54 AM »
The two best movies of last year (probably even of the last few years):

A Serious Man

and

Inglourious Basterds
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
The tune that can make even the end of the world funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1cuO3qEs4&feature=fvst

Offline Baronnecro

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »
 ;D I wish they had stuff like Benny hill on TV still. I watched that show as a young en! I was nearly 5 years old when my mother warped me with British comedy including flying circus.

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »
The two best movies of last year (probably even of the last few years):

I have a different point of view: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KST5GW64RRI&feature=related

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 07:01:30 AM »
I'm of two minds about "Inglorious Basterds" and "Watchmen" but "A Serious Man" and "Toy Story 3" are fantastic movies without a doubt.  :)

Two lesser known comedies I enjoyed at the Berlinale this year, sweet and amusing:

Boy by Taika Waititi
Au revoir, Taipei by Arvin Chen

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »
I'd love to see how you'd incorporate those sensibilities into a UA mod.   :D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
I like the trailer for "Boy" in particular.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »
I expect some of you have already seen this spoof of one of the Dark Knight's big scenes, but for those who haven't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc 

--and here's some funny stuff they didn't put in (just beware of several f-bombs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjBOTT0tr84&NR=1

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »
I expect some of you have already seen this spoof of one of the Dark Knight's big scenes, but for those who haven't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc 

Yeah, that one is pretty funny.  ;D

"OK. Not gonna help, the hitting. I'm not even sure if that was a question or a declarative statement."

This one is part of a series, many of which are Super Hero related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxVPZJiFGFc&feature=related
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
Comedy-wise, a constant source of inspiration is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
Even if you're not an American, and not particularly invested in American domestic politics (like me), the show is still bloody hilarious!

The Colbert Report isn't bad either.

These shows makes me wish we had some comedians of similar quality on German television, but the only one who had the protential to become a kind of German Jon Stewart just appears to be bored out of his mind in recent years:

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »
I've always been inspired by Norse Mythology. The tale of Thor's Visit to Jotunheim, in particular.

Thor's Visit to Jotunheim

The benches and the passageway behind them were filled with giants, drinking, eating, shouting at the top of their voices. Before him a group of six, with iron-gray topknots and patchy beards like Skrymir's, were wrangling. One drew back his arm in anger. His elbow struck a mug of mead borne by a harassed-looking man who was evidently a thrall. The mead splashed onto another giant, who instantly snatched up a bowl of stew from the table and slammed it on the man's head.

Down went the man with a squeal. Skrymir calmly kicked him from the path of his guests. The six giants burst into bubbling laughter, rolling in their seats and clapping each other on the back, their argument forgotten.

"Hai, Skridbaldnir!" Skrymir was gripping another giant on the bench by the arm. "How's every little thing wit' you? Commere, I wantcha to meet a friend of mine. This here guy's Asa-Thor!"

Skridbaldnir turned. Shea noticed that he was slenderer than Skrymir, with ash-blond hair, the pink eyes of an albino, and a long, red, ulcerated nose.

"He's a frost giant," whispered Thjalfi, "and that gang over there are fire giants." He waved a trembling hand toward the other side of the table, where a group of individuals like taller and straighter gorillas were bowling at each other. They were shorter than the other giants, not much more than eight feet tall. They had prognathous jaws and coarse black hair where their bodies were exposed. They scratched ceaselessly.

Right in front, facing him, flanked by two guards who carried the curious burning swords, sat the biggest giant of all - a giant dwarf. That is, he was a full giant in size, at least eleven feet tall, but with the squat bandy legs, the short arms and huge neckless head of a dwarf.

- excerpted from "The Roaring Trumpet" (1940) by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt

The Roaring Trumpet

Hill giants have tan to reddish brown skins, brown to black hair, and red-rimmed eyes. They typically dress in rough hides or skins.

Frost giants have dead white or ivory skin color, blue-white or yellow hair, and pale blue or yellow eyes. Their build is basically similar to a muscular human, with appropriate size differences.

Fire giants are very broad (about 6' at the shoulders), looking almost like dwarves. Their skins are coal black, hair is flaming red or bright orange, and eyes are deep red.

- Monster Manual (1977) by Gary Gygax

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:44:42 PM by Nol Drek »
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Baronnecro

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 07:18:12 AM »
for awhile I thought Brotherhood of the Wolf was one of the best films. I like the martial arts mix with modern things like muskets and  swords. Are there many non-asian martial arts films with guns n swords set before 1860? I'd like some examples... ps. I'm not including Magnificent Seven (i believe it's 1860's)

please enlighten me.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
I'm not including Magnificent Seven (i believe it's 1860's)

I know it's a remake of "The Seven Samurai", but I don't think there were any martial arts in the "Magnificient Seven".

The only thing I remember about the "Brotherhood of the Wolf" was the extremely silly and cheap-looking monster, which totally ruined the film for me.

To me, lots of films have these "CGI-blots". For example, when I think of "Die Another Day", the first thing that comes to my mind is the image of an extremely crappy-looking CGI-Bond kite-surfing in front of a giant CGI-wave.  ::)
The latest Indiana Jones movie was probably the worst offender in this regard.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
Is that Harald Schmidt?

As for not being invested in US politics, believe me, the way things are over here right now, you are quite lucky to be German.

anything