Author Topic: Gateway to the Savage Frontiers  (Read 1229 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Gateway to the Savage Frontiers
« on: August 13, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Thanks to Ishad and Simeon, I've been able to do a conversion base for the GoldBox game "Gateway to the Savage Frontier".

This is the same thing as Ishad's various "Hub" threads, but I thought that I would stick it in the DC forum, as I have no plans of doing any FRUA versions of the design or the art.

So, let me give credit where credit is due - Ishad created the spreadsheet that with some modification I sued to convert GttSF to a DC design, and Simeon provided the hacked version of the game engine that allows a player to acces "God Mode" and use the built-in feature to show all small pictures. :) And of course, where would we be without SSI and Beyond Software? :)

I'll start you off with two downloads - a zip file containing all of the small pictures and a zip file containing the "base" design.

A note about the base design - you need wall and backdrop art to correspond to the placed walls and backdrops. With the exception of two wallsets in Llorkh, GttSF uses the same walls and backdrops as Treasures fo the Savage Frontiers (found here. There is also a backdrop with the solid white ceiling replaced by a solid red ceiling which should be easy enough for a designer to make if she is impatient; but I will be making DC versions of the Llorkh walls and will include the backdrop with that upload.
Also, the overland levels come towards the end, unlike in a FRUA design. Theyare also differently sized from the FRUA overlands. For your ease of use, I've included the 6 overland images, resized for DC and already plugged into the spots they should be in. :)

The DAXVGA and DAXVIEW programs by Dan Autery do not work on the icons and big pics (there are no sprites in this game) so it will take me some time to get these, as I will likely have to play the game again to get what I need, unless Simeon can help out.

Without further ado, the attachments...

Edited to add:
Note: the 3D view will appear empty until you add the walls and backdrops in their respective editors.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:07:54 PM by manikus »

Offline Ishad Nha

Re: Gateway to the Savage Frontiers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Brilliant work there. I did the first five levels myself before I went back to check the TSF wall sets.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:29:05 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Simeon Pilgrim

• simeonpilgrim.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
I'm working on the pictures as requested, so far have them decoded, but the palette is wrong. Should be solved shortly...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »
I'm working on the pictures as requested, so far have them decoded, but the palette is wrong. Should be solved shortly...

Thanks, Simeon. :) I think there are some monsters and big pics in there that I have not seen before (this is not one of the GoldBox games I completed).

Thanks for the kudos, Ishad.

I plan on working on the Buck Rogers games next, and then I'll do Champions of Krynn and Pool of Radiance -> allowing you, Ishad, to continue to innovate and figure things out. :D

Once I do the above listed, I'll go back through the already started template designs and finish any unfinished.

Thanks to the two of you, Ishad and Simeon, this is simple enough for even me to do. :D :D :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Here are the three walls for Llorkh that do not make an appearance in TSF.
I've also added the backdrops which are the same as Secrets of the Silver Blades with the addition of a red ceilinged interior.

anything