Author Topic: Preview: Helmetlands  (Read 32558 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Preview: Helmetlands
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »
Nicely done!

I was wondering if DC would display animated gifs. It's good to know it will. I don't think any of the picture formats used support color cycling, though, do they?

Oops. I missed this until Dinonykos pointed it out.

DC does not support the GIF format. If it did, that might be an (relatively) easy way to solve the request for animating walls and backdrops. And you are correct, none of the supported formats utilize color cycling (because they don't have fixed palettes by default).

However, you can animate small pics in DC. You just add frames on the right hand side of the first one and when you import the art you let DC know how many frames there are. This works the same way as sprites do in DC (but without the transparency). The drawback to this method is file size for complex animations.

Actually, the f/x in the game - for spells, items, etc. works the same way, and quite a bit of the art done by folks utilizes 8 or more frames instead of just 2 like in FRUA. :) You can get some really cool f/x this way.

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »
 |sf>I don't have much to add, other than to echo the fact that I find this impressive.  I've usually seen DC as a medium for using photographs & scans, so this is an interesting alternative viewpoint. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 04:13:56 AM »
|sf>I don't have much to add, other than to echo the fact that I find this impressive.

Thanks, and there is an old saying that "commendation should be applied with the trowel. :D

I've usually seen DC as a medium for using photographs & scans, so this is an interesting alternative viewpoint. 
Well, it is not really alternative, since the art I use is mainly based on scans of ink drawings, only that I colourize them with Paint Shop Pro. The following animation starts with the scanned ink drawing:

But your mentioning of photographs reminds me of Manikus' and mine (and perhaps also others') ideas of taking photographs of Lego and use that for a design. This is something which DC can indeed be used for (FRUA as well, I guess).
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »
Ah the Lego mod. :) I haven't forgotten, I just don't have the use of a digital camera at the moment. I believe that I have all of hte Lego supplies that I'll ever need, though. ;D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 04:17:37 AM »
As mentioned in another post, I will probably do a further short design before continuing with Helmetlands. However, it will be a kind of introduction and tutorial for Helmetlands, and feature some of the main characters from Friedrich's Quest and Helmetlands. Since Friedrich's Quest took me around three months, you won't have to wait too long, while Helmetlands will probably need another year of designing.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »
Since Friedrich's Quest took me around three months, you won't have to wait too long, while Helmetlands will probably need another year of designing.

:-\ With Friedrich's Revenge now in the final test stage, I will start again with Helmetlands, Part 1. Friedrich's Quest took three months, Friedrich's Revenge took eight - thus Helmetlands Part 1 ("The Helmet Menace") will probably need twelve. Maybe a little less, since I will use a lot of material from earlier, never-finished versions.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 04:42:13 PM »
But how long will Helmetlands part 2: The Attack of the Helmets take? ;)

Considering how long I've been working on designs that have never seen the light of day, even one where I wasn't supposed to do any art on, I'm impressed.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
But how long will Helmetlands part 2: The Attack of the Helmets take? ;)
"Helmet Wars" will be the name. I do not plan a hexalogy, just to put that clear. :D

Considering how long I've been working on designs that have never seen the light of day, even one where I wasn't supposed to do any art on, I'm impressed.

I think all three parts of helmetlands will be equally large. It may even be that "The Helmet Menace" will take less time than I wrote above. I am still not sure how much I shall use of the four (!, 20 to 70% finished) versions of helmetlands I made between 2004 and 2008. 

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
I hope you can at least use some (or lots) of the art from your earlier attempts at Helmetlands. It would be a shame for those graphics to never see the light of day.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 03:07:36 AM »
I hope you can at least use some (or lots) of the art from your earlier attempts at Helmetlands. It would be a shame for those graphics to never see the light of day.
Don't worry about the art, I will use 90% of the stuff I have done during the last years. And some things I will not use in HL have already made an appearance in FR and FQ. I doubt that I will do a lot of additional art concerning walls, backgrounds. I may do some new opponents. In opposite to FR, I will probably even use three pictures per opponent (neutral, attacking, defeated), and furthermore make the members of enemy groups looking different. But I will also keep some of the old enemy pictures.
I will do a small intro comic, too.

I will try to copy some levels from FR, FQ and older helmetland versions into the design (maybe using FR as a base). Depending on how succesful that approach is, Helmetlands may be finished much earlier than I currently fear.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
Well, as one of the privileged few who knows how amazing Friedrich's Revenge is, I will gladly wait any length of time to play Helmetlands. :D But, as I'm an American, the less time the better... ;) Oh, and could you super-size that? :D :D :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 02:50:51 AM »
Well, as one of the privileged few who knows how amazing Friedrich's Revenge is, I will gladly wait any length of time to play Helmetlands. :D But, as I'm an American, the less time the better... ;) Oh, and could you super-size that? :D :D :D
Sorry?  ??? Super-size what? That you are an American? Of course! Er...  ???

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »
Sorry?  ??? Super-size what? That you are an American? Of course! Er...  ???
You know, take your time getting Helmetlands out, just as long as it is as fast as possible... ;)
I'm already a 'super-sized' American...so I want everything else to be bigger. :D I recommend adding high fructose corn syrup to your design to help it appeal to the masses as well.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
Since Ben J has convinced me to include the classic combat system into my design, I am in the process of (re-)doing combat icons. Thus, here are (as icons) the five heroes of "The Helmet Menace" together with one of the biggest monsters you can meet in the adventure:

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
Seems like this was an excellent idea, Ben J.  Now we'll get even more marvelous Dinonykos art to look at.  ;D

Very nice!  :)

anything