Author Topic: PREVIEW: Friedrich's Revenge  (Read 13894 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: PREVIEW: Friedrich's Revenge
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
There are some ways to kinda work around this:
You can make a pregenerated party, and IIRC there is ways to force the player to use the pregen party, like a check to see if the characters have certain item you give them in creation, but then change to no longer allow any -new- characters created to have. thus forcing the pre-gen only.  Throw in a looped chain to a training hall event (where you can add/delete players from the party) and the player is forced into using your party.

Now, adding pre-made characters in game (and keeping a crafty player from using thier own) would require a re-direct to a training hall EVERY TIME.

In my opinion, there should be a feature request for modmakers option to disable player creation, thus giving the option (to the designer) of making the player use a pre-generated party.
This is NOT to limit players, but to allow yet another story telling technique for creating mods.

ST
ps Dinonykos, ALWAYS loved your artwork. awesome style!!!
I think disabling character creation has already been used.

I believe some designers worry too much about things like this. Most players will want to play a design as it was designed. If they choose to run different characters, they can simply edit the design, and there really isn't much an author can do to stop them. This being the case, I can't see spending too much time and effort trying to prevent it.

Unless, of course, it makes you happy.   :D
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 03:56:21 AM »
Wow, great screenshots, Dinonykos!  I do like your corn walls, too :D

I would like to do some agricultural-type walls, too, actually - have been thinking of doing an apple tree for quite some time now (but haven't started, of course!  :D ).  What is a typical European species of apple?
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 04:58:54 AM »
I was actually going for a more metaphyscial point about players "playing" PCs, who in turn are "playing" PCs... :D

Yes, I got that. :) In this aspect, the character of Teresa is perhaps even more interesting...
It only brought me back to the other topic, since in Friedrich's Quest, I used the
SPOILING!

remove and add NPC option to make "Friedrich the Brave" turn into his real ego.
This is no problem in that design, since I do not use the "normal" combat events. However, in a normal combat, the "real" Friedrich could not have been controlled by the player...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 05:09:22 AM »
In my opinion, there should be a feature request for modmakers option to disable player creation, thus giving the option (to the designer) of making the player use a pre-generated party.
In DC, you can already disable PC creation for the player, as nologgie stated...  ;) I think the approach you described may be usable in FRUA?
In DC, you can certainly force the player to use those pre-generated characters you want him to use by making step events which all the time check which characters are in the party and remove those characters you want to add later in-game.
However, that method remains somewhat in-elegant, therefore I asked about the "pre-generated, but not chosable at the beginning" thing.

ps Dinonykos, ALWAYS loved your artwork. awesome style!!!
Thanks!  :D Actually, I am practising drawing humans, elves and so on so that I can make more character art usable for "standard" ADD adventures, compatible with my walls. I am not yet happy with the results (some first results can be found on my homepage), but I think I am getting better...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 05:18:38 AM »
I would like to do some agricultural-type walls, too, actually - have been thinking of doing an apple tree for quite some time now (but haven't started, of course!  :D ).  What is a typical European species of apple?
Yes! An Uatu-apple tree! This would make a lot of people happy, I think.
The Gravenstein apple seems to be something in the direction you want to go. There is a good article about it in Wikipedia (also the English version is nice).

P.S: Three posts in a row... that's the prize for going off-topic again... :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 05:42:39 AM »
Hmm...  Gravensteins look very yummy, and I like the colors on those apples!  Apple trees do look a bit challenging for DC in that many of them seem to be very wide (in terms of width)!  Will have to think of a way to cope with that (and DC's limited widths for the 3D view :D )

I am in the mood for apple pie now, though...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 06:26:33 AM »
Hmm...  Gravensteins look very yummy, and I like the colors on those apples!  Apple trees do look a bit challenging for DC in that many of them seem to be very wide (in terms of width)!  Will have to think of a way to cope with that (and DC's limited widths for the 3D view :D )

You can do a tree consisting of two or four walls, with the trunk at that point where the edges of four squares meet. I mean something similar to the mast and sail I did for the ship in the following example (which I posted also at Ironworks earlier, I think):

(There will be no ship in Friedrich's Revenge, but probably in Helmetlands...)

You could also start with a young apple tree, something rather looking like a bush...
I would definitely like it if there would be the same apple tree with and without apples. With help of the logic blocks and the GPDL scripts for changing walls (as described in Manikus' tutorial), you could then do things like the party picking apples, or apples falling down on the party...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:28:10 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:32 AM »
Wow, I remember that!  It looks just as great as it did before :D

I think that 2-4 walls is a bit too complex for lil ol' me :D  I guess I will have to start with the bush perhaps (if I do figure out the former method, I guess I will have to do a big oak first).

Scripts are hard for me, too, but if I do figure that out, I guess I can have apples fall on all halflings and gnomes in the party (being that the tree will be little more than a bush :D )

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
That boat looks amazing!
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
Scripts are hard for me, too, but if I do figure that out, I guess I can have apples fall on all halflings and gnomes in the party (being that the tree will be little more than a bush :D )
With Manikus tutorial, at least the falling apples should be doable. And you can also check my (and Olivier's, i think) design for the contest: Both of us used levers which can be pulled down and pushed up. You can transfer the approach to the pickable/fallable apples.

That boat looks amazing!
I am not completely happy with it. I was not aware back then when I "built" it of the real potential of the "hyper wall" format, e.g., how floors can be emulated with walls. I think with the experience I have now, I could make it look more realistic. As it is now, it totally lacks rigging, a below-deck and something like a cabin.

Maybe building a ship (or a design envolving ships) could be something for another contest?

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
Anyone got a spatula? That boat wall just blew my mind.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »
Anyone got a spatula? That boat wall just blew my mind.
It is not that difficult, but I fear it is not doable with the default wall format or with frua. You may find this thread in the Ironworks forum informative (I hope I do not commit a faux pas with this reference...):

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98195&highlight=ship&page=4

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
Of the above posts, my favorite line is Uatu saying [about an apple tree] it would be wide (as in width). :D :D But, Dinonykos' comment about a pregenerated PC that you can't actually choose at the start of the game, was a pretty close second. :D

The caveat to doing tree walls is the use of the hyper wall format.

NPC control is a feature request that we can look into after version 1.0 comes out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:51:32 PM by manikus »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
Of the above posts, my favorite line is Uatu saying [about an apple tree] it would be wide (as in width). :D :D But, Dinonykos' comment about a pregenerated PC that you can't actually choose at the start of the game, was a pretty close second. :D

NPC control is a feature request that we can look into after versin 1.0 comes out.
What is "versin"? A new editor?

Haha! I had my revenge!!! :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »

NPC control is a feature request that we can look into after versin 1.0 comes out.
What is "versin"? A new editor?

Haha! I had my revenge!!! :)
I'm glad you chose that for your revenge instead of hunting me down and placing a dagger in my back or shaving my head while I sleep. ;)

anything