Author Topic: PREVIEW: Friedrich's Revenge  (Read 13880 times)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Re: PREVIEW: Friedrich's Revenge
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
Looking great, Dinonykos!  I like that last screenshot very much (nice design, nice character, nice woods :D )  Is the latest version of your mod linked on your website?
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Great screenshot, Dinonykos.

If anything will convince FRUA players to try out a DC design, it will be your amazing designs.

(Of course all of the DC designs are cool, I'm just saying yours is far enough away from what FRUA can do, and it looks so awesome, that they will have to give it a try. ;) )

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
If anything will convince FRUA players to try out a DC design, it will be your amazing designs.
:-[

:D
Without kidding, I did Friedrich's Revenge firstly for showing some things DC is capable of in a small to medium-size design (so that it won't take too much tiem). The second motivation was to see the reactions concerning the characters, the kind of storytelling and the quite simple combat system (but with the advantage of more negotiation possibilities). To make sure that Helmetlands has a chance to be played by more players than only one or two.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
:-[

:D
Without kidding, I did Friedrich's Revenge firstly for showing some things DC is capable of in a small to medium-size design (so that it won't take too much tiem). The second motivation was to see the reactions concerning the characters, the kind of storytelling and the quite simple combat system (but with the advantage of more negotiation possibilities). To make sure that Helmetlands has a chance to be played by more players than only one or two.

I wasn't kidding. ;)

Two different types of designs appeal in the abstract - one is a bigger and better version of the GoldBox games which drew most to FRUA in the first place, and the other is something made with the same editor/engine that is very different but equally as appealing. I'm just speaking of what is that will get the attention of a FRUA/GB  player, and be enough impetus to cause them to try it out.
(Of course individuals being who they are may find any of a number of different reasons to try out DC, and may not be swayed  by either of the two above mentioned types of designs.)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
(Of course individuals being who they are may find any of a number of different reasons to try out DC, and may not be swayed  by either of the two above mentioned types of designs.)

True. That's a down side of individuals. I'm an individual, and I often find myself to be quite a disagreeable jerk. Sometimes the best thing about any individual is that, by definition, there is only one.

But the helmet concept ROCKS!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »

True. That's a down side of individuals. I'm an individual, and I often find myself to be quite a disagreeable jerk. Sometimes the best thing about any individual is that, by definition, there is only one.

But the helmet concept ROCKS!

I think most people that know me are glad there is only one of me. ;)

This is all of my figuring out what DC needs to get players, I have no freakin' clue how to attract designers, other than to say that "version 1.0 is out" (it's not, not yet, it's just the only thing I can think of to attract designers).

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
The catch is that players will only come when there are enough design(er)s. For me, it's not so much the engine as the creativity of designers that will draw me to a game. Whether I play UA, NWN or DC is all the same to me when the mods are original, interesting, complete and working. And I totally agree with you, manikus, Dinonykos is a true DC pioneer in that regard.
 :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »
And I totally agree with you, manikus, Dinonykos is a true DC pioneer in that regard.
 :)

Yes! The Thor Heyerdahl of Dungeon Craft! :D :D :D :D :D

Joking aside, thanks to Manikus, Friedrich's Revenge (FR) is almost ready to be uploaded. However, the great Ben_J, maker of "the Sect" is the second playtester, and I will wait for his additional remarks before posting the bronze edition of Friedrich's Revenge. :)

For those who have not yet played "Friedrich's Quest" (FQ), you can find the download link below. Remember that you do not have to install DC to play the design, only one download - and there you go. FQ has definitely some drawbacks, expecially the prototype of the event-based combat, but it is a good introduction to FR.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:36:03 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
Joking aside, thanks to Manikus, Friedrich's Revenge is almost ready to be uploaded. However, the great Ben_J, maker of "the Sect" is the second playtester, and I will wait for his additional remarks before posting the bronze edition of Friedrich's Revenge. :)

I just sent you a PM with my experiences.

However, I've not finished the game yet.  :-\

I don't know how long you want to wait  - it could take a while until I've found a way around these §%$*ing monks.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »
Joking aside, thanks to Manikus, Friedrich's Revenge is almost ready to be uploaded. However, the great Ben_J, maker of "the Sect" is the second playtester, and I will wait for his additional remarks before posting the bronze edition of Friedrich's Revenge. :)

I just sent you a PM with my experiences.

However, I've not finished the game yet.  :-\

I don't know how long you want to wait  - it could take a while until I've found a way around these §%$*ing monks.

I hope my answer to your pm helps a little bit. I am sorry that the system is still not well-balanced, as it seems. I think I can expect of the players to abdicate the normal combat, but only as long the event-based combat is no annoyance.

Manikus seemed to (he wrote a 6-DinA4 pages pre-review, I still cannot belive it :o ) like the combats in FR better, but he also pointed me to some problems. I hope, when I have solved these, the system will at least be so fair that nobody will be repelled...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
Quote from: Dinonykos
(he wrote a 6-DinA4 pages pre-review, I still cannot belive it  )
I don't know how long "6-DinA4" is, but I thought I was being brief. :)

I think everyone is really going to enjoy Friedrich's Revenge, but they'll appreciate it even more if they've played the ground-breaking Friedrich's Quest. For example, you will understand where the "Revenge" comes in, not to mention spend even more time with some well thought out and executed characters.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
I think everyone is really going to enjoy Friedrich's Revenge, but they'll appreciate it even more if they've played the ground-breaking Friedrich's Quest. For example, you will understand where the "Revenge" comes in, not to mention spend even more time with some well thought out and executed characters.

Well, Ben J's joy while playing the Beta of Friedrich's Revenge is obviously hampered by the combat system.

Ben J, maybe I should make some adjustments to the combats and finish correcting the minor problems Manikus found, and send you a link to the newer version? I do not want you to become even more frustated with the priestesses on the second floor... :(

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
Ben J, maybe I should make some adjustments to the combats and finish correcting the minor problems Manikus found, and send you a link to the newer version? I do not want you to become even more frustated with the priestesses on the second floor... :(

Yeah well, maybe I should start over.

I made some mistakes in the beginning (not putting on my starting equipment, running around in search mode, etc).  :-\
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »

Yeah well, maybe I should start over.

I made some mistakes in the beginning (not putting on my starting equipment, running around in search mode, etc).  :-\

I did one of my tries while searching the whole time - short game. :)

anything